Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
CArnesen
Org Profile

Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Post by CArnesen » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:16 pm

I am extremey pleased to announce that due to popular demand (and helpful scheduling :wink:) that the Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest will be voted on using BALLOTS!

I know that there were numberous creators that have contacted me because they wouldn't participate because they felt that using applause to judge a contest is unfair, and have used those comments and everyone else's to make this decision that I believe will satisfy everyone.

Also, I am pleased to announce that the contest will be the first night (Friday) of the convention. Room setup will begin at 8pm and seating will be after the setup and we will begin the show shortly after 9pm. Unlike previous years, the contest will be the main event for the evening, so we don't have to compete with other events like Masquerade.

The awards will include the traditional Sakura-Con Clapboard, signed by all GOHs. Also, we will have a variety of DVDs, posters, gift certificates, and hopefully a few suprise items!

For more information please visit the Sakura-Con Website and feel free to email amv@sakuracon.org if you have any specific questions regarding the AMV/OVA contest.
--Chris ^_^

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:41 pm

Hmmm...Sound's like I may even have to enter and come down! Hmm a con that is in actual driving distance (about 12 hours!).... So os there an AMV video room (overflow, etc)?

Vlad

CArnesen wrote:I am extremey pleased to announce that due to popular demand (and helpful scheduling :wink:) that the Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest will be voted on using BALLOTS!

I know that there were numberous creators that have contacted me because they wouldn't participate because they felt that using applause to judge a contest is unfair, and have used those comments and everyone else's to make this decision that I believe will satisfy everyone.

Also, I am pleased to announce that the contest will be the first night (Friday) of the convention. Room setup will begin at 8pm and seating will be after the setup and we will begin the show shortly after 9pm. Unlike previous years, the contest will be the main event for the evening, so we don't have to compete with other events like Masquerade.

The awards will include the traditional Sakura-Con Clapboard, signed by all GOHs. Also, we will have a variety of DVDs, posters, gift certificates, and hopefully a few suprise items!

For more information please visit the Sakura-Con Website and feel free to email amv@sakuracon.org if you have any specific questions regarding the AMV/OVA contest.

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:46 am

Awsome, I'm so happy that you changed it back.

The meter reading is not right.... IMO. ^^

I'm looking forward to the con!

Say do you know the deadline for the entires yet?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:20 am

Hakura wrote:Awsome, I'm so happy that you changed it back.

The meter reading is not right.... IMO. ^^

I'm looking forward to the con!

Say do you know the deadline for the entires yet?
Yeah, that Feb. 7 deadline musta been faked! ;D

* me hopes fervently....
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Re: Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Post by CArnesen » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:00 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:So is there an AMV video room (overflow, etc)?
The main contest will be in the Main Events room which holds 750+ people. Hopefully the contest will be simulcast on Closed Circuit Sakura (CCS), which is the in-house, three channel, television service.

Throughout the convention AMVs will be played in the various video rooms and on the CCS.

As we get closer to the convention they may decided to turn a video room or two into AMV/OVA contest overflow rooms, but this will depend on a lot of factors out of my control.

Regarding the receipt date for submissions, it is February 7th. This date is based from pre-judging stats from other conventions. I invite anyone who cannot make the Feburary 7th date to email amv@sakuracon.org and let me know about your specific problem so we can discuss the options available.
--Chris ^_^

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:17 pm

I've received a few questions regarding video formats from possible European entrants and here is the format info again:

VHS: NTSC Only
SVHS: NTSC Only
MiniDV: NTSC Only
DV: NTSC Only

VCD: NTSC or PAL
SVCD: NTSC or PAL
DVD(-/+, R/RW): NTSC or PAL

I will be using my Apex AD-600A to playback any digital entries and because it can convert both types, I will accept both NTSC and PAL digital entries (as shown above).
--Chris ^_^

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:02 pm

Hmmm....I might be able to do that with a VCD, I'll see what I can do.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:35 pm

Sweet, I can do it via MiniDV!

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:41 am

Just to be clear, since I don't see it stated explicitly: you are not accepting digital data CDs or DVDs (?).

In other words, a CD/DVD with a data file (AVI, MPG, RM, whatever) will not be accepted.

Rule 2a says "computer formats", but that doesn't seem to be the case with any on the list. I mean, they're not "pure" computer formats.

Also, you may have trouble with the homemade DVDs. I made an authored DVD-R using Neo-DVD with a QPS writer. It will not load in my Apex AD-600A, but it will play in a Toshiba player (SD-1700) that I have.

Of course, that's just one data point, but something to think about.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:26 am

TaranT wrote:Just to be clear, since I don't see it stated explicitly: you are not accepting digital data CDs or DVDs (?).

In other words, a CD/DVD with a data file (AVI, MPG, RM, whatever) will not be accepted.
Well, technically I am accepting "authored" media. Meaning that a CD or DVD is burned with a data file (MPEG 1 or MPEG 2).

The reason that I am not accepting anything other than videotape or authored media is because there is such a large variety of video codecs and versions that it is almost impossible to play back those files in the same way that the creator intended.
TaranT wrote:Rule 2a says "computer formats", but that doesn't seem to be the case with any on the list. I mean, they're not "pure" computer formats.
Last I checked, MPEG 1 and MPEG 2 are indeed computer formats.
TaranT wrote:Also, you may have trouble with the homemade DVDs. I made an authored DVD-R using Neo-DVD with a QPS writer. It will not load in my Apex AD-600A, but it will play in a Toshiba player (SD-1700) that I have.

Of course, that's just one data point, but something to think about.
I was originally worried about this, but I updated the DVD drive firmware and the Apex firmware, I've been able to play any disk I've thrown into it.
--Chris ^_^

Return to “AMV Contests”