Best Video capture card?

otakulk
Org Profile

Best Video capture card?

Post by otakulk » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:28 pm

What do you peoples suggest capture card wise? I am looking into building a new PC, and I plan to give it plenty of POWER for video editing and such. I currently have an All-In-Wonder RAGE PCI 128, which, as you can imagine, limits me to making videos from DVD rips, for obvius quality reasons. I also have been disapointed with the audio quality and lack of hardware compression. Anybody have any tips? I am looking around for a reliable card that does some kind of Hardware compression (preferably DV or MPEG-2), not really worries about price right now (been busting my ass at work :) ).

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:02 pm

I don't think tehre is a best, it just depends on your system specs. As for me a Pinnacle DV does fine while others use a DC500.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:23 pm

Well past that there's the Video 'Studio' thingies like Matrox' RT2500 but these (maybe not Matrox' but a similar one as Matrox uses a propriatary scheme I think it was when I breifly looked into it) are what Nerdy wet dreams are made of! They cost like thousands of dollars, maybe as much as your next car ;-p.
I dun really know about ATI's proprietary scheme but I would suppose that your audio quality probs is due to your soundcard's line-in DAC not your AIW. I suggest an Maudio card, but the name escapes me right now... Anyway it's got more features than CL's new Audigy 2 at the expense of less 3d features. but it's supposed to be awesome for recording and I think (like CL Audigy 2) you can record in 5.1 off of DVD audio (not audio from DVD videos, DVD audio) but I'm not sure... maybe the s/w to do this hasn't been made yet. anyway that's what I'm trying to figure out.

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:28 pm

I'm finding that more and more television stations are going to Firewire for their non-linear editing. Ones that don't use Firewire are usually using all-in-one systems like Video Toaster NT (or whatever it's called now) or similar systems.
--Chris ^_^

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:19 pm

so far the card that has impressed me the most has been the Canopus DV Storm 2

the Targa 3000 is the only card i have found better
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:47 am

Any price ranges on thoes? I'm also looking for a new card, as I'm planning to upgrade a bit again ^^

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:00 am

The Pinnacle DV with card set me back about $200, if you want the 500 that often comes with Adobe Premiere and I haven't found it for any less than $450.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:20 am

New from Pinnacle: the DV500 is now selling without Premiere. The Edition DV500 comes with Pinnacle's own NLE. I think the original DV500 (with Premiere) is still available.

More info here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage. ... angue_ID=7

There's a Flash tour of the NLE on that page.

DashoutriderII
Org Profile

Post by DashoutriderII » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:01 am

If I have a Radeon 8500 128 MB card right now is there some kind of add-on that i can buy that will allow me to connect the composite from my tv to my computer? Or would it be better just to sell the radeon and buy something that'll be a good graphics card and record from tv?

Return to “Hardware Discussion”