Otakon AMV Contest Tapes?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
rubyeye
Org Profile

Otakon AMV Contest Tapes?

Post by rubyeye » Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:02 pm

As per their new guide lines this year, it seems like Otakon will not be distributing copies of the contest unless, "your AMV submission appears in the OTAKON 2002 AMV Contest".

By this wording I am assuming that ONLY those 32 finalists have the option of requesting a copy of the contest tape.

Can anyone varify this, just to make sure?

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:52 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is the case. Matt spent way too much time with little reward in previous years working on making copies of the contest tape and distributing them. Then again, they were expecting more entries and more requests for contest tapes this year. We'll have to see what happens.

Cybermat
Org Profile

Re: Otakon AMV Contest Tapes?

Post by Cybermat » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:13 am

rubyeye wrote: By this wording I am assuming that ONLY those 32 finalists have the option of requesting a copy of the contest tape.

Can anyone varify this, just to make sure?
Yes, that's the case. When I first started making dups of the contest for the submitters way back when, there weren't all that many doing music videos (30-40 each year), so it was not too much of a burden to do.

Last year when we got so many submissions (150+) and it took me months after the convention to get through doing them all, it became clear that making dups of the contest tape for everybody (and sets of the overflow tapes for some of them) would kill me this year if I didn't do something.

It was either cut back to making dups only for the finalists, or just give up entirely and not make dups for anyone. So... if you want copies, be *reeeeeal* nice to your friends who made it into the finals and maybe they'll make you one.

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:03 pm

And we have to wonder if Matt's just trying to create an artifical black market for these Otakon AMV tapes. ;) I remember having to jump through hoops to borrow a friend's copy of one back in the day. Eventually I think I decided that it was easier to just make a music video to get the tape.

BaHaRa
Org Profile

Post by BaHaRa » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:27 pm

off topic, but i have a question about pre registration for the con. Me and my sis both pre registered, but only i got one of the postcards back in the mail, does that matter? or can we just go to the con and be assured that she will be on the 'list'?

Petro
Location: In the Nuclear Blast Zone of Washington DC, Virginia
Org Profile

Post by Petro » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:57 pm

Matt,

Can we bring tapes to the con to give you? (allong with postage and a box of course) Or should I just mail it to you after the con?

Thanks,
-Petro

Return to “AMV Contests”