Old School editing vs seizuretiffic and effects

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:34 am

Eva-Fan wrote: Melodic motion? LOL? Seriously, did you just come up with that to try and proove a point or something?
No, it's actually a real concept in music theory. I invite you to read about it. Other, more in-depth treatments of the subject can be found in music theory textbooks.

Here's an example: say you have an ascending harp line. There's many ways to map that to something visual; the first way which comes to (my) mind is to lift the camera up through a busy, enclosed space.

That by itself doesn't make for a coherent story, but it's just a unit; therefore, you take units and string them together to make a coherent whole.

I don't think it's necessary to establish any sort of really solid beat-sync pattern for that to be the primary method of synchronizing the audio and video.

Indeed, there was a video posted on CGTalk not too long ago that I think nicely illustrates the idea. The creator of the video does synchronize some actions to beats, starts of measures, etc. -- I won't say he doesn't -- but he does much more than that, and kinda shoves the beat into the background for most of the video. I don't think the bulk of what he does can easily be classified as "beat sync"; it enhances the sync between audio and video by mimicing the motion of the melody (and, for that matter, ornamentation as well.)

Take a look at http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 4&t=512674 for more information, including a download link.
Motion being matched to a melody is most definitely NOT beat sync at all.
And that is the point: it doesn't really fit into the strict definition of "beat sync", and yet it does contribute to sync. It's about finding a way to map motion from one domain to another.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:04 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
dwchang wrote:But yeah, he says it pretty nicely....
Zarxrax wrote:But it doesn't really matter what I want, so when you make a video, make it however the hell you wanna make it, be it flashy or simple. That's all that matters.
People have preferences (as I have stated mine), but ultimately it comes down to this.
Points out irony: "Do it how you want... i'm not going to watch it if it's a certain way, but have fun and do what you want - ignore the fact that the only reason you'd post it here is to get people to see it thing (else why bother wasting time with the upload process) and we're all set." :lol:
No matter what you make, someone is going to watch it. If you wanna sell out just to get more hits, thats your choice too.

Paranoir
Org Profile

Post by Paranoir » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:59 am

Beowulf wrote:Attention

Deficit

Disorder
Beo! *worships*

From my point of view, videos have to contain some kind of synch, be it lyrical, melodical, beat-synch, mood-synch or whatever.. Otherwise, they're just random clips thrown to music, thus not offering anything to the viewer and not being interesting.
Of course both old-school synching and newer effect-whorey videos can offer that, so I can't say I prefer one of the two - I just like seeing good videos, no matter what they are!

Taruto!
Org Profile

Post by Taruto! » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:38 am

I always try to do a bit of both, since a good mix makes the kind of video I always enjoy. If it's just "old school" editing it can get boring, and if it's just "seizuretiffic" it can get old and predictable, as well as painful to watch.

Keep the editing simple, but kick it up a notch when and where it's needed. :wink:

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:29 am

OropherZero wrote:"To condemn one style of creative expression is only limiting your field of vision in the hobby" couldn't have been said any better, best thing I've heard from a-m-v.org in months :D

Tash
Org Profile

Post by Tash » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:26 am

old school is more pretentious, while seizure related editing glorifies the fact that everyone loves syncing, just less lame the better. Degree of lameness is your bad taste.

ScorpionP
Org Profile

Post by ScorpionP » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 am

I like both. Whenever I get bored of one type of video I would just browse through .org and find some good videos of the other type...

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:00 am

trythil wrote:Take a look at http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... 4&t=512674 for more information, including a download link.
that was fricken neat, thanks for sharing O:

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Tash wrote:old school is more pretentious,
how did you come to that conclusion?

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:melodic motion sounds like "syncing to the melody or the vocal line" which is usually what i do...
songs are poems, you figure out where each part starts/ ends and you got your cues right there. I have no clue if this was already covered because these big words actually give ma BIG head-contusions, but... to put it in layman's terms

Return to “General AMV”