Old School editing vs seizuretiffic and effects

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:30 pm

dwchang wrote:But yeah, he says it pretty nicely....
Zarxrax wrote:But it doesn't really matter what I want, so when you make a video, make it however the hell you wanna make it, be it flashy or simple. That's all that matters.
People have preferences (as I have stated mine), but ultimately it comes down to this.
Points out irony: "Do it how you want... i'm not going to watch it if it's a certain way, but have fun and do what you want - ignore the fact that the only reason you'd post it here is to get people to see it thing (else why bother wasting time with the upload process) and we're all set." :lol:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:35 pm

I personally like drama videos without much effects or any at all. I tend to prefer more subtle effects like masking and overlays rather than shit all over the screen timed to all the beats.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Metro
Org Profile

Post by Metro » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:19 pm

I enjoy motion graphics and special effects because its a way to add my own content to a video. Rather then just editing someone else's footage to someone else's music, I want to bring something new to the table. Its really cool when you are able to bring your vision to life, and often for me at least, it requires "effects" to do so.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Every thread is about Euphoria. And Beowulf.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

lynit
Org Profile

Post by lynit » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm not really an effects guy, but I more or less prefer both. I do agree with Katie bringing up the point about effect whored videos being more popular, this pretty much means most of the audience is into the effect-whoring videos, which just pisses me off. I really hate how people seem to hate effects-plain vids (Or as someone would call it old-school), just because they have no effects..

I remember someone telling me (It was a few months ago) that most people who use effects now generally use it to coverup bad editing (I think he was referring to 25% of the Org editors and 98% of the boochsack editors). At this point, I'd have to say I agree.
<Stirspeare> Otohiko: You guys sure love dongs.

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Attention

Deficit

Disorder

otbwavelength
Org Profile

Post by otbwavelength » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I like videos that have cool effects, or make a really amazing sync with the music. Plain videos are just boring to me.
my viewpoint exactly.

Again.

YOU CAN HAVE GOOD BEAT SYNC AND HAVE A GOOD STORYLINE WITH LOTS OF EFFECTS.

This goes for ALL genres.

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:38 pm

otbwavelength wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:I like videos that have cool effects, or make a really amazing sync with the music. Plain videos are just boring to me.
my viewpoint exactly.

Again.

YOU CAN HAVE GOOD BEAT SYNC AND HAVE A GOOD STORYLINE WITH LOTS OF EFFECTS.

This goes for ALL genres.
Why is good story paired with effects?

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:30 am

trythil wrote:
Eva-Fan wrote:
trythil wrote:
Eva-Fan wrote:The anime has to match the song in some way either with beat sync or lyric sync. Preferably both.
Why?

Seems so limiting.
how is that limiting? IF your not syncing to the beat or lyrics then what the hell are you syncing to?
Melodic motion (which isn't covered by strict beat-counting) and/or lyrical progression (which isn't covered by strict phrase-matching), to throw out a couple. Different methods to map those to visual motion.

Of course, if your definitions of "sync" encompass everything that might be in some way related to their generalizations, then there's no point in mentioning additional drivers.
Melodic motion? LOL? Seriously, did you just come up with that to try and proove a point or something? I could of seen you coming up with "mood sync" or even "emotion sync" or something but melodic motion?! Wow you have more then prooved your point seriously. Motion being matched to a melody is most definitely NOT beat sync at all. Even if you had listed mood sync or emotion sync instead, I think those are like a combination of lyric and beat sync. If the music is slow your using slow scenes and matching words like sorrow, depression, anxiety, etc with its anime counterparts of the source you are using.

I believe my so called "Reductionism" is right here.

You know what say you are right, even if you aren't using beat sync or lyric sync and some how conceived an AMV. Would anyone enjoy it? Would you even enjoy it? I don't think I could possibly enjoy an amv that doesn't have beat or lyric sync at the very least. "Melodic Motion" or whatever you were trying to proove, possibly being 3D motion synced to melody, at any rate if thats all you were doing in an AMV I don't think it would be very enjoyable if it wasn't an anime with clips matching the music is some way other then just 3-D motions. BTB was a perfect example. Didn't really like it. My one opinion doesn't matter though, do what you want to do.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:50 am

melodic motion sounds like "syncing to the melody or the vocal line" which is usually what i do...

Return to “General AMV”