Video editing on a laptop

starseekergem
Org Profile

Post by starseekergem » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:50 am

I already have a 500GB external so that's sorted
I provide unattributable press briefings, You leak, He is being prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act.
I am an original thinker, You are eccentric, He is loony.

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:10 am

$500 is roughly £250 (£500 is about $1000 at the mo) so you could probably get something better than that, if you did get something like that you can always modify it yourself, I know lots of people don't like modifying laptops but as long as you choose one that has room for expansion then it can be cheaper, especially when on a tight budget.

On a basic level get something with a decent cpu like already stated, you can get 1GB ram for like £25 http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/64183 , and add that in yourself, that way minimum effort is needed. It is also worth bearing in mind the core 2 duo cpus can be overclocked and still remain quite stable.
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:42 am

Ok so for £500 (thats $1000) you could have

Sony-VAIO-VGN-N31M-W-Laptop-Core-2-DuoT5300-1-73GHz-1GB

Hp Compaq Nx7300 Core 2 Duo T5600 15.4 1024mb 80gb

The HP has room for 4GB so in the future it would not cost that much to make it better for handling HD footage more easily in say after effects, it is a tight budget (and your looking at laptops not towers) but if you look around you will find something decent. Also it will depend what programs you wish to edit in and what type of footage. You need to remeber that its not just down to the machine though, some of the best videos on the .ORG were made on machines the idea of makes you cry :)
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

starseekergem
Org Profile

Post by starseekergem » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:19 pm

I decided to take the option of a £800 laptop next year, when I go off to uni, instead of a £500 laptop this year, which is my last year of school. Thanks for the advice everyone.
I provide unattributable press briefings, You leak, He is being prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act.
I am an original thinker, You are eccentric, He is loony.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”