Using Portable storage (USB Power)

anurok
Org Profile

Using Portable storage (USB Power)

Post by anurok » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Does anyone have one of those westen digital passports? I have been thinking of getting one...like today! I just don't know which one is worth it more...

120GB @ $82

250GB @ $160

Which do you all think is the better deal? Are these a good product? I want one to be able to move around with out power cables...hrm what to do what to do.

help please guys!

Newegg.com - Western Digital Passport WDXMS1200TN 120GB 5400 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail

Newegg.com - Western Digital Passport Portable WDXMS2500TN 250GB 5400 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail

I am going to be using it for pictures, video files, and AMV stuff so I am thinking the 250 might be better...
N0OB wrote: Koop edits his s*** in Paint and it looks better than this.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:33 pm

Where do you live? *shocked*

Can´t be that my country has better offers on such things.

Damn it I got my Traxtor 500GB 7200RPM with 16MB Cache for 99€.
I am going to be using it for pictures, video files, and AMV stuff so I am thinking the 250 might be better...
It also deepends on how many rounds per minute the drive has. 7200 is fine. 10000 is (I think) too much for USB2 and 5400 sounds a bit low if you ask me.
Uhm usualy you have a 7200 in your PC.

To the rest:
Take so much GB you think you´ll need, but 160 for the 250GB sounds a bit much if you ask me. Even for a Western Digital. I recommend you to open your eyes and search for more offers!
Western Digital is a hot brand for external storage. It would be good to stick on it.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

anurok
Org Profile

Post by anurok » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:40 pm

these are the cheapest I have seen them...

but this is portable USB power so it is a bit more expensive since it does not need the power unit...

I can get 500GB w/ enclosure for 140 or less but this is mostly to be able to move it from place to place easily.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:14 pm

For about twice the money you get about twice the storage.

Keep in mind that capacity for hard disks rises rapidly while prices fall. So I would personally take a look at the smaller one, *IF* it can provide you with the capacity that you need for now, and then consider buying a larger one in a year or so.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Just got the general feel that not everyone was on the same page here... you are looking for external drives that only require USB power (as in they don't need a separate outlet) correct? Those are quite a bit more expensive than externals that do require their own outlet.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

post-it
Org Profile

possible solution ...

Post by post-it » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:37 pm

.. might it be worth the effort to try and store things "on-line" instead of fighting back-to-school-prices right now ?? Places like StreamLoad.com are already set-up for mass storage "on demand" and might be worth looking into as a 2nd option.
.. if that hard drive fails then everything you've stored on it is GONE.
.. StreamLoad never crashes much and hehe ...

.. if you can burn things to a DVD it might be cheaper in the long run to use DVD's

-- just a thought

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:53 pm

*has a WD passport 120GB*
$82 for the 120GB sounds fairly good
these passport drives don't require an outlet (as you noted earlier...personally I find it very nice to not have to plug it in to an outlet)

the downside is that the drive only spins at 5400 rpm...but it doesn't make so much of a difference to opt for a drive that spins at 7200 and needs an outlet.

another downside (on all external drives, usb powered or outlet powered) is that it really slows down when you index your vobs. On my 7200rpm outlet powered external it took about 3 hours to index 4 or 5 episodes...while it took about 5-10 minutes on my internal drive (laptop)
I haven't tried it with my passport drive (I have another WD external 120GB that requires an outlet and spins at 7200 rpm which I used for this).

drive failure is usually not a problem...you can usually tell when a drive is failing in time to evacuate the data

dvd's may be cheaper, but it takes significantly longer to write to dvd (or even cd)
it may be useful if you want to store data and leave it alone...but if you are going to be accessing the stuff and changing it (adding/removing files or physically changing the files) it would be better to get an external

anurok
Org Profile

Post by anurok » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:07 am

Aye...the device I want is the external with no power outlet...

I currently have my internal drive that runs my Apps...I store EVERYTHING else on a 500GB external and I raid it to a 750GB external just in case.

I want the passport so that I can move it from work to home etc etc...

I think you guys are right about buying a 120 for 80 dollars now and maybe get a bigger one later since I will only use this to move stuff from desktop to desktop.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Every Western Digital hardware I've owned has failed.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

anurok
Org Profile

Post by anurok » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am

suggestions? None that I have had have failed...

Return to “Hardware Discussion”