Mac Programs?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Mac Programs?

Post by Kira_Douji » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 am

Since I started making AMVs I've more or less worshiped EADFAG, and it's an absolutely wonderful guide, however it's strictly for a Windows based PC. Now, I'm fairly certain my next computer is going to be a Mac and, since I can't seem to find any info on my own, I want to know what I'd use on that platform in terms of programs. I know what there is editing-wise, but I'm a little lost in terms of DVD ripping, encoding, converting footage, manipulating it (avisynth) etc, etc...

And if we could discuss this without dissolving into a PC vs. Mac debate, that'd be awesome. :roll:

- Kira
ImageImage

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:19 am

The long and short of it is that there isn't shit in the way of encoding apps for the Mac. Yet. Handbrake is fantastic but only does DVD -> MP4. FFMPEG and Mencoder are available, but they are command line. FFMPEGX sucks dick. MacTheRipper is a good DVD ripper. For editing, I prefer Final Cut, but Avid and Premiere are available as well.
◔ ◡ ◔

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 am

Feasibly you could probably get x264 to run in its pure form, but you'd either have to compile it yourself (ensuring that you've got the latest version from source) or use the MacPorts/DarwinPorts method (which uses a version from back in April). In either case, you'd have to encode via the command-line.

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:34 am

Qyot27 wrote:Feasibly you could probably get x264 to run in its pure form, but you'd either have to compile it yourself (ensuring that you've got the latest version from source) or use the MacPorts/DarwinPorts method (which uses a version from back in April). In either case, you'd have to encode via the command-line.
There are x264 QuickTime components.
◔ ◡ ◔

kmv
Org Profile

Post by kmv » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 am

In addition to what Tab. said:

Ripping:
Fairmount is worth a mention, it is free (it is included in DVDRemaster demo - which you don't have to install). It works well - it mounts the DVD as a proper data disk from which you can then grab whatever you want, but it is also very slow.

NB: The latest version of Mac The Ripper that is "easy to find" is 2.6.6 but I don't think that it is Intel compatible. If you are considering MTR (and v3) then you will want to go to the MTR fourm at RipDifferent.

Converting:
MPEG Streamclip is also worth a mention, although as it uses the Quicktime stack you have to make sure that you have the MPEG2 plugin if you want to work with MPEG2.

Up until recently, I have preferred ffmpegX, the UI can be a bit odd at times (such as when adding subtitle streams) but I like the batch handling and have gotten good results with the MEncoder "plug ins".

Tab., why don't you like it?

I have just started playing with Avidemux it reminds me a lot of VirtualDubMod (side by side view, filters, scripting, etc). It looks good, but as I said - I have only just started playing with it.

Editing:
I use FCP (and love it) but don't forget that Mac's come with iLife installed, and that includes iMovie which isn't half bad, and the new version of iMovie supports HD. I'll admit that you are pretty much stuck with editing in DV (or HDV in the new versions case), but what is the problem with that?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:59 am

Tab. wrote:There are x264 QuickTime components.
Unless this isn't the right one, it's not been updated since Nov. of last year. That's nine months behind current revisions.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Hmmm...

Post by Kira_Douji » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:13 am

Editor: I'm used to the complexity of Premiere, and was hoping on Final Cut anyway, so I'll likely be going in that direction rather than imovie (especially since imovie '08 had such a lukewarm/cold reaction that Apple re-released '06 for free).

Encoder: Avidemux seems to be along the lines of what I was looking for, overall. :) Thanks.

Ripper: Still deciding here, I guess, there doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer one way or the other.

And if those don't work I can probably find a work around through a bootcamp/parallels/etc... setup I suppose... :/

Tab.
..... I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up about that link you slid in there as it's set to come out around the time I'm planning on getting the mac... but Celluloid looks awesome. *_*

Thanks everyone for the advise!
- Kira
ImageImage

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:10 am

There's some decent guides to Mac AMV editing here as well.

Kira_Douji
Org Profile

Post by Kira_Douji » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 am

Lantis ... that is so helpful, thanks!

- Kira
ImageImage

Return to “Mac Software”