Mac Help: Final Cut Playback Issues

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
MaggIvy
Org Profile

Mac Help: Final Cut Playback Issues

Post by MaggIvy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:15 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with my mac? I just recently got Final Cut Pro and I've followed this tut like my life depended on it.

http://ishtori.net/index.php?id=1

But, for some reason its just not working when I try to playback my "edits" in Final Cut, especially when I'm editing to music. Also when I try to slide a cut in the playback screen splits into two and I can't get it to go back to 1 and then it won't play anything at all.

I ripped the dvd, and passed it through Mpeg Streamclip and exported it as a quicktime movie using sheer video as its codec.

Can anyone help me?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:46 am

you might be better off using a DV codec with FCP. also what are your computer specs?

Pwolf

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:55 am

My specs are:

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
200GB Serial ATA @ 4200 rpm

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:13 am

Oh yeah, I'm experimenting with the DV codec right now, and I was wondering if there's a way to disable the audio in the original clip in FC or before I compress it?

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:19 am

Ok, after messing around with it for a couple hours I have finally figured it out. You are right, it definitely is the codec, I think. I used it in dv but first I had to demux the audio and video then I tested it in fcp and it worked! Now i can do audio and video and no problems here.

Thanks for your help. :D

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am

no prob. it's been a good year since i last use FCP so i can't remember a lot of details anymore, but i think DV is probably the best option. That or uncompressed.

Pwolf

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Err, I use Sheer all the time, no problems. And until recently, I was editing on worse specs (1.25 GHZ PBG4 with 1 GB ram). I'll post my entire workflow from MPEG Streamclip to FCP using Sheer when I get home..
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 pm

Before I do that, though:

Do your sequence settings EXACTLY match your Sheer file? No matter what codec you use, if your sequence and your footage don't match up, you will have problems. You can access sequence settings by right-clicking the sequence in your Browser and selecting "Settings..". Make sure the frame size is the same, the codec is the same for audio and video, that the video quality slider is at 100%. In the second tab of settings, make sure you're set to use RGB processing (instead of YUV).

Are you rendering before you view? If you apply any transitions or really do anything except "hard cuts" you'll probably need to render to view. It's only a few seconds for most things, so just hit CMD+option+R (or it may just be CMD+R, or option+R, I can't remember if changed that keystroke or not for my system) before you playback.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:28 pm

Yep, I did everything exactly like I should, and there were no red lines or anything on the time line unless I added an effect or something.

Maybe you can show me how you set your sheer cause who knows, maybe I am using it wrong.

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:21 am

Ok, I found out what my problem is. My compression settings in the sequence settings were not set to millions of colors+ Since I fixed that, I've managed to get it to play smoothly no matter what I did, added, subtracted audio, key framed, cross fades, everything. It finally works lol. Thanks for your help, you can lock this now. :D

Return to “Mac Software”