Will my system edit videos well?

Toshiyan
Org Profile

Will my system edit videos well?

Post by Toshiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:13 am

Hi, I just bought a new computer with my friends help. I really don't know anything about computers, especially what makes them work.

The list I will provide is from my receipt that my friend printed out for me.

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology)
320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Antec PERFORMANCE TX TX1050B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
500W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply

Sony NEC Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model
DDU1615/B2s

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
Kit Desktop Memory

MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

I told him that I wanted to be able to play crysis when ever it comes out :P and edit videos.

He told me that a quad core would be best but for the amount of money I had I would be getting the slowest one out there. He mentioned it might have been better to get a faster dual core but we went with the quad. So will the slowest quad core do well for editing? Or would a faster dual core have been better?

Though he did say it should play Crysis quite well since Crysis uses all core, which from that I guess other games don't?

Also would Adobe's premiere cs3 work well on this?

Help very much appreciated.

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:29 am

That "slow" quad-core is still pretty damn fast. You'll be just fine. Another option is overclocking, but considering your experience you probably don't want to do that, unless you're willing to take the time to learn.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:35 am

The system won't be doing the editing, you will, so of all the specs you listed you'll still be the limiting factor on whether or not it will edit well.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Toshiyan
Org Profile

Post by Toshiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:09 am

:P of course.

Guess editing was the wrong word to use, thought it was a broad/layman's enough term though to get across :P.

Hmm from what I know then, how will it preform under the stress of rendering videos, and how will it handle programs that I will need to use to edit them in an typical situation.

Taking into account that it will also depend on how I use the program that will either make it bog down or speed up, and what type of program I use. Though as mentioned I plan on using Premiere from Adobe's CS3 line.

So I guess I'd like to know if this would be a computer that I could consider buying Premiere for or just forget about attempting to edit videos. While I was going for a computer that could run games, from what I know a gaming computer doesn't really make a great computer for editing videos in itself. So this is why I've brought this topic up :). How I use the program is a different story in my opinion, that's why I ask about how the hardware will handle and not my actual knowledge of how to use it. That will come later XD.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:12 am

The only weakness I see is that the hard drive is on the small side, considering 1TB drives are available today. Other than that, your system is better than what most other people that visit this site (and edit AMVs) have at the moment.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:57 am

Looks great to me. Just make sure you don't break anything when building it and get the latest drivers and bios; basically don't use the CD that comes with the hardware. As far as Crysis goes, we'll know more in a month or two when benchmarks are available; assuming the game doesn't get delayed even further. But it probably will play it just fine. Have fun ^_^!
Insert clever text/image here.

Toshiyan
Org Profile

Post by Toshiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Well I didn't build it myself, my friend did, though he was very worried when he stuck a huge fan on the motherboard, I think that's what it is. I believe the motherboard is the huge chip that everything goes on XD. He thought he cracked at first while snapping it on >_<.

So I guess the next time we build a computer put the fan on before you stick it in the computer?

Oh for a bios update I didn't a google search on what it was and I guess i was right the that large chip is the motherboard :P. But it said to go to the manufacturer's site and download a bios update. Though it did mention that people with little knowledge of how to do it should do it.

I did go to MSI's site though and looked for my motherboard.

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp

Went to download center and came to this. I can't seem to find my model though.

Does anyone else? Also what would a update do? better performance?

help appreciated.

Up In Flamez
Org Profile

Post by Up In Flamez » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 am

Hmm, i think you should get a better power supply. A case that comes with a 500w power supply? I don't think that is enough for a quad core and a 8800 GTS. Go at leas 650

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:27 am

I'm not sure if a Quad-Core is a good choice. It depends much on your editing suite. Many can take advantage of 2 cores, but not of 4. If that's the case, a dual core on the same speed would be faster. And many games can't even take advantage of two cores.

And regarding the power supply - 500W will be enough. The only thing that you must ensure is that the several voltages can supply the needed current.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:13 am

Adobe's CS3 bundle was supposed to have support for more than 2 cores as was Pinnacle's new suite - before that point the only mainstream software that improved performance with 4 cores over 2 was WinRAR.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Hardware Discussion”