Video Card Issues (Driver Installation)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Video Card Issues (Driver Installation)

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 pm

Ok, so I've just reinstalled my OS (due to several issues), and everything is working fine, but my video cards' drivers refuse to install. Everytime I try to install the drivers, the setup stops and says there is no hardware attached that matches the driver installation.

Anyway, here's my information.

Primary Video Card:

nVIDIA GeForce 6100

Dual Monitor Card:

ATI R900 64 DDR PCI Card

Anyway, my motior is getting major lag, and I'm at my wits end.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:51 pm

did you originally install the NVidia card first or the ATI card first ??

.. me thinks its a DMA problem that XP/Vista might be fighting.

.. have you tryed removing one of the cards and loading the drivers to just that card remaining; shut-down/Reboot your computer, and make sure that your drivers are working for that card.
.. after varifiing that that THAT card is working properly; shut-down your computer and install the other Video card. On start-up, your computer should detect the Newer device and ask for its' drivers ^_^

.. that's the only thing that works for me -- having dual-video cards on my system too 8-)

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:36 pm

post-it wrote:did you originally install the NVidia card first or the ATI card first ??

.. me thinks its a DMA problem that XP/Vista might be fighting.

.. have you tryed removing one of the cards and loading the drivers to just that card remaining; shut-down/Reboot your computer, and make sure that your drivers are working for that card.
.. after varifiing that that THAT card is working properly; shut-down your computer and install the other Video card. On start-up, your computer should detect the Newer device and ask for its' drivers ^_^

.. that's the only thing that works for me -- having dual-video cards on my system too 8-)
Yeah, I've tried that. I took out my Dual Monitor card, and attempted to get my Video Controller (VGA Compatable) working (which I just assumed would be the nVIDIA card). But, I've had no luck, and even searching via Windows Update has failed.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:58 pm

.. hmmm

.. possibly an Old School Issue

.. do you remember if your video cards had an IRQ number assigned to them ?
( this might be grabbing-at-straws on today's computers however, this problem might be as simple as a Bios Setting Error .. on older computers, P4 and such, there was a Bios Option for assigning the DMA and IRQ setting to Video Cards. In the Video section of the Bios, you had to turn-off the Boards Video in order for the Bios to see your Video Card that was added to the System. )
.. and, yeah -- I know that's a pain to find .. but Windows XP was known for re-setting the Bios Option on some installs. ( the Bios defaults also were known to cause Audio problems if the Boards Audio was set to ON. )

.. at this point; we're both lost as to an answer -- if it is not a Bios setting error ~_~

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:02 am

post-it wrote:.. hmmm

.. possibly an Old School Issue

.. do you remember if your video cards had an IRQ number assigned to them ?
( this might be grabbing-at-straws on today's computers however, this problem might be as simple as a Bios Setting Error .. on older computers, P4 and such, there was a Bios Option for assigning the DMA and IRQ setting to Video Cards. In the Video section of the Bios, you had to turn-off the Boards Video in order for the Bios to see your Video Card that was added to the System. )
.. and, yeah -- I know that's a pain to find .. but Windows XP was known for re-setting the Bios Option on some installs. ( the Bios defaults also were known to cause Audio problems if the Boards Audio was set to ON. )

.. at this point; we're both lost as to an answer -- if it is not a Bios setting error ~_~
Damn it. :evil:

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:44 am

.. NVida & ATI solutions .. http://www.omegadrivers.net/ ..

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:08 am

Thanks for your help, but I think it was more than just the card. Two days ago, the monitor went fuzzy. I mean, it looked like it was macrobloced. So, I sent it to a local repair shop, which will repair it and have it for me tomorrow. They called tonight and said it was some issues with my C: and a nasty virus. Basically, it blocked me from installing any and all drivers. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. :roll:

Return to “Hardware Discussion”