Otakon Winners?!?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
ForeverZeroo
Org Profile

Post by ForeverZeroo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am

hackerzc wrote:Na, staff can't compete. I could send something as non-competing though.
And I actually have not even sent anything yet lol. It's been busy around here lately. In fact I have to call a bank about a credit card statement right now before I go to the store.
-.- im in the saaaaaame boat. I figure you'll lemme know either way.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:49 am

hackerzc wrote:Na, staff can't compete. I could send something as non-competing though.
And I actually have not even sent anything yet lol. It's been busy around here lately. In fact I have to call a bank about a credit card statement right now before I go to the store.
Cmme on you only run one tinly little contest! Anyway does your volunteer titles you have listed mean your coming to Sakura-Con next year?

Vlad

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Cmme on you only run one tinly little contest! Anyway does your volunteer titles you have listed mean your coming to Sakura-Con next year?

Vlad
Sorry if this comes out the wrong way Vlad, but I have a life outside of anime and AMV stuff. The otaku thing is only one of the many hobbies I have. I just want to be able to do more of that other stuff is all.
As for Sakura-con it's doubtful. I just spent a good $9k total on a motorcycle, gear, and insurance... so I'm tapped out for a good while. It's hard to justify spending $1000 on a plane ticket (+ other expenses) for a 3 day con that I'm going to work.
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:19 pm

hackerzc wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:

Vlad
Sorry if this comes out the wrong way Vlad, but I have a life outside of anime and AMV stuff. The otaku thing is only one of the many hobbies I have. I just want to be able to do more of that other stuff is all.
As for Sakura-con it's doubtful. I just spent a good $9k total on a motorcycle, gear, and insurance... so I'm tapped out for a good while. It's hard to justify spending $1000 on a plane ticket (+ other expenses) for a 3 day con that I'm going to work.
I was joking of course... too bad, would of loved to see you at Sakura-con.. Maybe that bike needs a bit of a "breakin" drive to the west coast come March:P

Vlad

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:00 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
hackerzc wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:

Vlad
I was joking of course... too bad, would of loved to see you at Sakura-con.. Maybe that bike needs a bit of a "breakin" drive to the west coast come March:P

Vlad
I kinda guessed, but the thing is I feel sorta bad that I don't do more. I did Otakon and Nekocon contests one right after the other. I ended up burning myself out on Otakon and barely doing crap for Nekocon, then I left Friday of the con and ended up quiting (I was having issues).
I expect more from myself is all, and this whole "having limits" thing is fairly new. But yeah apparently I really can only do so much at once. Weird huh? lol
Oh and I've already put 300 miles on it in 4 days, Just riding around here. I've also had it up to 100mph. I shouldn't be doing that yet (not supposed to go above 5500 rpm's until after 600 miles), but I figured if it was going to explode at that speed it woulda flat out killed me, in which case I really wouldn't have cared much at that point ^_^.
John Westbrook

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:11 pm

hackerzc wrote:
Otakon's AMV Contest is no AWA (yet), but I doubt 7000 people saw AWA's contests either. Otakon may not be the best contest... but without a doubt it's the best place to be seen.
Just to be clear, me thinking awa > then Otakons contest is just my opinion on the actual contest structure (AWA's expo, profesional, and Masters setup vs Otakons Fanvote) only. I ofcourse agree than Otakon remains the Largest amv screening (at least that I know off) and is one of the reasons I submit to it almost every year ;p

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:41 pm

Bakadeshi wrote:
hackerzc wrote:
Otakon's AMV Contest is no AWA (yet), but I doubt 7000 people saw AWA's contests either. Otakon may not be the best contest... but without a doubt it's the best place to be seen.
Just to be clear, me thinking awa > then Otakons contest is just my opinion on the actual contest structure (AWA's expo, profesional, and Masters setup vs Otakons Fanvote) only. I ofcourse agree than Otakon remains the Largest amv screening (at least that I know off) and is one of the reasons I submit to it almost every year ;p
And you would be right in that opinion. Personally I think AWA is the best contest I know off. I've never actually BEEN, but from everything I know and have heard, it's like the world series of AMV's. Otakon's is pretty average in comparison, but it's big. Otakon's contest has a lot of untapped potential at this point. I honestly don't have it in me to do anything about that now, but someone could fairly easily come in (and with enough support from staff) expand it to offer more of the type of stuff AWA has. Simply allow more entries per person, expand to multiple contests, etc.
We got fuel in the tank and the engine is warmed up and ready to go... just need someone to strap on a turbo and hit the gas. 8-)
I was more concerned with damage control this year to really be able to do much else.
John Westbrook

MousePotato
Boochsack whore
Org Profile

Post by MousePotato » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am

I heard the contest wasn't that great this year because i didn't submit a video.... Lets face it. im so pretentious that i dont even need to compete anymore. I think im turning into dw.... except that im newsckool.

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:23 am

hackerzc wrote:And you would be right in that opinion. Personally I think AWA is the best contest I know off. I've never actually BEEN, but from everything I know and have heard, it's like the world series of AMV's. Otakon's is pretty average in comparison, but it's big. Otakon's contest has a lot of untapped potential at this point. I honestly don't have it in me to do anything about that now, but someone could fairly easily come in (and with enough support from staff) expand it to offer more of the type of stuff AWA has. Simply allow more entries per person, expand to multiple contests, etc.
We got fuel in the tank and the engine is warmed up and ready to go... just need someone to strap on a turbo and hit the gas. 8-)
I was more concerned with damage control this year to really be able to do much else.
I don't understand. Why would you make the Otakon AMV contest more like the AWA setup when AWA already exists? When it comes down to it, the only thing that separates each convention's AMV contests are its rules, presentation, and everything that goes along with that.

Maybe it's just me (as someone who's been attending the contest since 2000), but I like Otakon's contest the way it's set up and AWA's contest(s) the way it's set up. If they're both setup similar to each other, what incentive do I have to (a) attend one versus the other, or (b) submit to one versus the other?

I think the only real argument you could make is that since the AMV contests are *not* for the AMV editors (we are no-one; the contests exist simply to entertain an audience for two hours)... and both conventions receive a slightly different audience (in terms of the physical people), you would be justified in saying that since a lot of Atlanta-area people don't attend something in Baltimore (and vice versa), you would be bringing an experience to that group of people that otherwise may not experience that type of contest setup.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote: I don't understand. Why would you make the Otakon AMV contest more like the AWA setup when AWA already exists? When it comes down to it, the only thing that separates each convention's AMV contests are its rules, presentation, and everything that goes along with that.
Because people seem to have issues with the way all that is done at Otakon. Besides, I'm not going to be the one doing any of it... I'm leaving the contest.
Maybe it's just me (as someone who's been attending the contest since 2000), but I like Otakon's contest the way it's set up and AWA's contest(s) the way it's set up. If they're both setup similar to each other, what incentive do I have to (a) attend one versus the other, or (b) submit to one versus the other?
To see if we screw up your vid or have a half hour technical issue int he middle of the contest? *shrug* :wink:
I think the only real argument you could make is that since the AMV contests are *not* for the AMV editors (we are no-one; the contests exist simply to entertain an audience for two hours)...
O_O *runs for cover*. They is gonna kill you man... can I have your computer?[/quote]
John Westbrook

Return to “AMV Contests”