Otakon Winners?!?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
wurpess
rabid fangirl
Org Profile

Post by wurpess » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:01 am

kiarrens wrote:
decoyoctopus87 wrote: Also, from the romantic/sentimental grouping, did anyone else love the Loveless/Space Monkey video: Delirium? I really thought that one stood out in that category personally.
x2...
Although my guy friend sitting next to me didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did. :D
I think a lot of guys discounted it simply because it was shonen-ai, which really is a shame, because it was very well edited and had a nice story.
My bf is your typical anti-yaoi/shounen-ai type guy, but he actually really enjoyed that vid. He was actually going to vote for it before DWChang's vid came on. (But I really enjoyed it and did vote for it. :P)
ImageImage

hackerzc
Org Profile

Re: Otakon Winners?!?

Post by hackerzc » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:18 pm

Adv1sor wrote:'cmon now, it's been over for hours already, who won? :lol:

And what are the dates for next year?

And thanks again John for another great show! That big room was great!

And, while I am honored to be included again in this year's contest, I promise here and now to offer a much better AMV for next year's consideration!

And, ____, I'm sure I'll think of something else to say later... :lol:
Huh? What? Was I supposed to do something?

Oh um, yeah there was an AMV contest thing and people won stuff. YAY!
Now back to riding my bike =^P
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:33 pm

Scintilla wrote:Okay, it's been over a week... so when is Hackerzc going to make the official announcement, including honorable mentions and vote percentages for the winners?
Don't know about vote percentages, but here's the top three finishers in each category (as announced at the Iron Editor event):

ROMANCE/SENTIMENTAL

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

SERIOUS/DRAMATIC

1st:

2nd:

3rd: The Other Side by Brad Demoss (video not yet on site)

ACTION

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

UPBEAT/RHYTHM

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

HUMOROUS/SATIRICAL

1st:

2nd: Another Crappy Video by Doki Doki Productions (video not yet on site)

3rd:
Last edited by TnAdct1 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:15 am

Nice bike!

Oh, and Gratz to all the winners!

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:42 am

What, no fan favorite or coordinators choice?

Oh yeah and I'm leaving the AMV contest so =^P
John Westbrook

Katrina
Org Profile

Post by Katrina » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:04 pm

Finally got it posted. I did a few touch-ups, and when I went to export the new version, Premiere went evil on me. I'm glad it didn't do this right before the contest. My laptop would've been out the window. :twisted:

The "local" version has the touch-ups. The "direct link" version is what I submitted to Otakon.

EDIT: You're leaving?! You're not allowed! We will tie you to a chair and make you watch our AMV's!

Seriously though, we're going to miss you.

:cry:
Last edited by Katrina on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForeverZeroo
Org Profile

Post by ForeverZeroo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:33 am

hackerzc wrote: Oh yeah and I'm leaving the AMV contest so =^P
you're not heading the contest any more?

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:33 am

ForeverZeroo wrote:
At this point I still am, but in a month or two I hope to have a replacement. Already have a couple people to hand things off too, it's just a matter of figuring who is doing what exactly.
This is the only year I've actually run the contest, but I've done work on it for the past 4. It's just getting stale at this point, plus each year I sorta put a lot of my own stuff on hold for a good 9 months of the year. I figure it's time to get back to doing my own thing again.

If there is anything at all that would get me to stick around it's the fact that this year went so... smoothly. I know some people are saying the contest wasn't as strong as it was in past years, and I can agree with that (I didn't agree with the decisions of some prescreeners, but I remained impartial), but everything else went pretty damn good. My entire goal for this year when I came into the Dept. Head position was to (hopefully) get the contest back on track and return it to some of it's former glory. I think we did that...

FTP has returned, deadline was later, we had more submissions, we had adequate space for the contest screenings with total attendance around 7000 over the weekend (making it more popular than any other programing item), the trophies were freaking awesome this year, we returned to using a video server (and had no technical issues at all during playback), and best of all... NO DRAMA! Everyone was surprised about this, and it honestly scared me at first. I was expecting complaint after complaint about deadlines and various other petty things. When I didn't see ANY of that I had honestly though a lot of editors had banded together to boycott the contest.
Mind you, I had to work hard to get a lot of the stuff we had this year that made it so great, but it only happened because the rest of Otakon staff worked with me. I'm hoping everyone will see how well things went this year and it'll leave a positive impression on them so that my replacement will be able to get the same time, space, and resources as we had this year (or better).

Otakon's AMV Contest is no AWA (yet), but I doubt 7000 people saw AWA's contests either. Otakon may not be the best contest... but without a doubt it's the best place to be seen.
John Westbrook

ForeverZeroo
Org Profile

Post by ForeverZeroo » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:19 am

hackerzc wrote:
ForeverZeroo wrote:
At this point I still am, but in a month or two I hope to have a replacement. Already have a couple people to hand things off too, it's just a matter of figuring who is doing what exactly.
This is the only year I've actually run the contest, but I've done work on it for the past 4. It's just getting stale at this point, plus each year I sorta put a lot of my own stuff on hold for a good 9 months of the year. I figure it's time to get back to doing my own thing again.

If there is anything at all that would get me to stick around it's the fact that this year went so... smoothly. I know some people are saying the contest wasn't as strong as it was in past years, and I can agree with that (I didn't agree with the decisions of some prescreeners, but I remained impartial), but everything else went pretty damn good. My entire goal for this year when I came into the Dept. Head position was to (hopefully) get the contest back on track and return it to some of it's former glory. I think we did that...

FTP has returned, deadline was later, we had more submissions, we had adequate space for the contest screenings with total attendance around 7000 over the weekend (making it more popular than any other programing item), the trophies were freaking awesome this year, we returned to using a video server (and had no technical issues at all during playback), and best of all... NO DRAMA! Everyone was surprised about this, and it honestly scared me at first. I was expecting complaint after complaint about deadlines and various other petty things. When I didn't see ANY of that I had honestly though a lot of editors had banded together to boycott the contest.
Mind you, I had to work hard to get a lot of the stuff we had this year that made it so great, but it only happened because the rest of Otakon staff worked with me. I'm hoping everyone will see how well things went this year and it'll leave a positive impression on them so that my replacement will be able to get the same time, space, and resources as we had this year (or better).

Otakon's AMV Contest is no AWA (yet), but I doubt 7000 people saw AWA's contests either. Otakon may not be the best contest... but without a doubt it's the best place to be seen.
Well i mean do what you need to do. I dont think i could handle the techy stuff myself. Think if you didnt run it you'd enter?

PS: BTW do you know when the AMV winners stuff will be sent? I ask this causei live in the city and the mail system around here is....odd xD

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:30 am

Na, staff can't compete. I could send something as non-competing though.
And I actually have not even sent anything yet lol. It's been busy around here lately. In fact I have to call a bank about a credit card statement right now before I go to the store.
John Westbrook

Return to “AMV Contests”