Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Postby CArnesen » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:16 pm

I am extremey pleased to announce that due to popular demand (and helpful scheduling :wink:) that the Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest will be voted on using BALLOTS!

I know that there were numberous creators that have contacted me because they wouldn't participate because they felt that using applause to judge a contest is unfair, and have used those comments and everyone else's to make this decision that I believe will satisfy everyone.

Also, I am pleased to announce that the contest will be the first night (Friday) of the convention. Room setup will begin at 8pm and seating will be after the setup and we will begin the show shortly after 9pm. Unlike previous years, the contest will be the main event for the evening, so we don't have to compete with other events like Masquerade.

The awards will include the traditional Sakura-Con Clapboard, signed by all GOHs. Also, we will have a variety of DVDs, posters, gift certificates, and hopefully a few suprise items!

For more information please visit the Sakura-Con Website and feel free to email amv@sakuracon.org if you have any specific questions regarding the AMV/OVA contest.
--Chris ^_^
User avatar
CArnesen
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2001
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Re: Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:41 pm

Hmmm...Sound's like I may even have to enter and come down! Hmm a con that is in actual driving distance (about 12 hours!).... So os there an AMV video room (overflow, etc)?

Vlad


CArnesen wrote:I am extremey pleased to announce that due to popular demand (and helpful scheduling :wink:) that the Sakura-Con 2003 AMV/OVA Contest will be voted on using BALLOTS!

I know that there were numberous creators that have contacted me because they wouldn't participate because they felt that using applause to judge a contest is unfair, and have used those comments and everyone else's to make this decision that I believe will satisfy everyone.

Also, I am pleased to announce that the contest will be the first night (Friday) of the convention. Room setup will begin at 8pm and seating will be after the setup and we will begin the show shortly after 9pm. Unlike previous years, the contest will be the main event for the evening, so we don't have to compete with other events like Masquerade.

The awards will include the traditional Sakura-Con Clapboard, signed by all GOHs. Also, we will have a variety of DVDs, posters, gift certificates, and hopefully a few suprise items!

For more information please visit the Sakura-Con Website and feel free to email amv@sakuracon.org if you have any specific questions regarding the AMV/OVA contest.
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby Hakura » Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:46 am

Awsome, I'm so happy that you changed it back.

The meter reading is not right.... IMO. ^^

I'm looking forward to the con!

Say do you know the deadline for the entires yet?
User avatar
Hakura
 
Joined: 30 May 2001
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Postby FurryCurry » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:20 am

Hakura wrote:Awsome, I'm so happy that you changed it back.

The meter reading is not right.... IMO. ^^

I'm looking forward to the con!

Say do you know the deadline for the entires yet?


Yeah, that Feb. 7 deadline musta been faked! ;D

* me hopes fervently....
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.
User avatar
FurryCurry
 
Joined: 14 Jul 2002

Re: Sakura-Con AMV Contest Change

Postby CArnesen » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:00 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:So is there an AMV video room (overflow, etc)?


The main contest will be in the Main Events room which holds 750+ people. Hopefully the contest will be simulcast on Closed Circuit Sakura (CCS), which is the in-house, three channel, television service.

Throughout the convention AMVs will be played in the various video rooms and on the CCS.

As we get closer to the convention they may decided to turn a video room or two into AMV/OVA contest overflow rooms, but this will depend on a lot of factors out of my control.

Regarding the receipt date for submissions, it is February 7th. This date is based from pre-judging stats from other conventions. I invite anyone who cannot make the Feburary 7th date to email amv@sakuracon.org and let me know about your specific problem so we can discuss the options available.
--Chris ^_^
User avatar
CArnesen
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2001
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Postby CArnesen » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:17 pm

I've received a few questions regarding video formats from possible European entrants and here is the format info again:

VHS: NTSC Only
SVHS: NTSC Only
MiniDV: NTSC Only
DV: NTSC Only

VCD: NTSC or PAL
SVCD: NTSC or PAL
DVD(-/+, R/RW): NTSC or PAL

I will be using my Apex AD-600A to playback any digital entries and because it can convert both types, I will accept both NTSC and PAL digital entries (as shown above).
--Chris ^_^
User avatar
CArnesen
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2001
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Postby The Wired Knight » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:02 pm

Hmmm....I might be able to do that with a VCD, I'll see what I can do.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
User avatar
The Wired Knight
 
Joined: 07 Jan 2001
Location: Right next door to you
Status: Attorney At Law

Postby RichLather » Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:35 pm

Sweet, I can do it via MiniDV!
User avatar
RichLather
 
Joined: 15 May 2001
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org

Postby TaranT » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:41 am

Just to be clear, since I don't see it stated explicitly: you are not accepting digital data CDs or DVDs (?).

In other words, a CD/DVD with a data file (AVI, MPG, RM, whatever) will not be accepted.

Rule 2a says "computer formats", but that doesn't seem to be the case with any on the list. I mean, they're not "pure" computer formats.


Also, you may have trouble with the homemade DVDs. I made an authored DVD-R using Neo-DVD with a QPS writer. It will not load in my Apex AD-600A, but it will play in a Toshiba player (SD-1700) that I have.

Of course, that's just one data point, but something to think about.

**************
TaranT
 
Joined: 16 May 2001

Postby CArnesen » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:26 am

TaranT wrote:Just to be clear, since I don't see it stated explicitly: you are not accepting digital data CDs or DVDs (?).

In other words, a CD/DVD with a data file (AVI, MPG, RM, whatever) will not be accepted.


Well, technically I am accepting "authored" media. Meaning that a CD or DVD is burned with a data file (MPEG 1 or MPEG 2).

The reason that I am not accepting anything other than videotape or authored media is because there is such a large variety of video codecs and versions that it is almost impossible to play back those files in the same way that the creator intended.

TaranT wrote:Rule 2a says "computer formats", but that doesn't seem to be the case with any on the list. I mean, they're not "pure" computer formats.


Last I checked, MPEG 1 and MPEG 2 are indeed computer formats.

TaranT wrote:Also, you may have trouble with the homemade DVDs. I made an authored DVD-R using Neo-DVD with a QPS writer. It will not load in my Apex AD-600A, but it will play in a Toshiba player (SD-1700) that I have.

Of course, that's just one data point, but something to think about.


I was originally worried about this, but I updated the DVD drive firmware and the Apex firmware, I've been able to play any disk I've thrown into it.
--Chris ^_^
User avatar
CArnesen
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2001
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Postby TaranT » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:04 am

I'm going to have to look into getting my Apex's firmware upgraded. 8)

Anyway, I should have been more clear about the formats. If I just put an MPEG1 on a CD without the directories etc. that make it a VCD, then that probably would not be what the rules call an "authored" disc. Meaning an invalid entry disc.
TaranT
 
Joined: 16 May 2001

Postby CArnesen » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:35 am

TaranT wrote:Anyway, I should have been more clear about the formats. If I just put an MPEG1 on a CD without the directories etc. that make it a VCD, then that probably would not be what the rules call an "authored" disc. Meaning an invalid entry disc.


That is correct, for a more accurate description of a VCD and SVCD, I suggest the following websites:

Video CD Information
Super Video CD Information
DVDR Information
--Chris ^_^
User avatar
CArnesen
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2001
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Postby BigshotSpike » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:25 pm

Will the entrants still get VIP seats?
User avatar
BigshotSpike
 
Joined: 14 May 2001
Location: Brier, WA, USA

Postby BigshotSpike » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:05 pm

Sorry for double posting, but to clear something up: So CDs with video files on them will be accepted. Like if I was to submit a CD-R with an Mpeg-2 file on it, would that be accepted?
User avatar
BigshotSpike
 
Joined: 14 May 2001
Location: Brier, WA, USA

Postby TaranT » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:25 am

BigshotSpike wrote:Sorry for double posting, but to clear something up: So CDs with video files on them will be accepted. Like if I was to submit a CD-R with an Mpeg-2 file on it, would that be accepted?


I believe that it would not be accepted. If you want to send an MPEG2, it will have to be created as an authored DVD. If you want to send an MPEG1, it will have to be an authored VCD or SVCD.

Basically, he needs to be able to play your disc in his Apex DVD player. Which I assume means he is not using a computer to create the contest tape(s).


*************
TaranT
 
Joined: 16 May 2001


Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drewaconclusion, scottanime and 4 guests