Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:15 am

CrackTheSky wrote:This video is so awesome I don't even know how to properly express it. Unlike those who have posted so far, I thought the sync worked really well - and I liked the way you kept changing up the way you'd sync. Sometimes inconsistencies like that make a video feel disconnected, but in this case I didn't feel that at all. I love all the symbolism, and it's obvious there's a lot going on beneath the surface here. The only problem I have were
JudgeHolden wrote:The sudden drops to black
Other than that, phantastic work, I like this a lot better than Awakened.

5/5 :up:
Thank you very much =). phantastic... -_- lol see general comments too.
p.s. thanks for the qc on Don't Blink Astro, I almost forgot about that one.

omegaevolution wrote:mmmm the AMV started and ended right away (which is good for me :D ), that means I enjoyed it in a way that the video ended so quickly I wanted more XD. Anyway yeah the synch was inconsistent but it worked nontheless, I was a bit confused about the birds and other stuff in the vid but after reading that post you made I kinda get it XD.

Anyway great work 4/5 :up:

PS: I think those "drops to black" worked well ;)

thanks^^ yes it was a short one... in fact, I shaved 15 seconds off. Glad the drops to black worked for you. Also see below.

code_chrono wrote: x2, just no drops to black. Those drive me crazy.

3.8/5
same as omega's response :P, but see general comments.

General comments:
WARNING: if you hate the artsy side of English class, just don't read this. However, the amv can still be good for the aesthetics.

The drops to black was a fun thought to play with. There are sharp cuts to black, normal fades, and slight fades which suddenly cut off... kind of like '!' Anyways, for more symbolism junk... How many times does it go '!' ? What's the title of the vid? Triplet? [teh poem]. woooooooh. And how did it End? woooooooh.

If I ever say Flight/Escape, I mean as in: "Everyone needs to escape some time." <strike>even people like</strike> especially people like Ayane that try to deal with all the shit in the world by themselves.
Since that is the theme, it probably could have been the title-- but instead, "Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes" is synonymous to that. Simply put:
Cell Phones: a means of escape-- being somewhere else that you are really not...
Birds: Flight... Escape...
Brown Eyes: The gates to the soul. Escape doesn't always have to be outward, it can be inward as well...

pretty much everything relies on that. 'the shadow walks into a Bird' actually shows Ayane's shadow walking into... well... you see it. Now think of what that could mean, and how it connects with the following scenes. To save myself from writing too much... see the poem which goes exactly in sequence with the video. I was thinking "Don't write a book, write a poem. Don't make a movie, make an AMV." [That should totally be on a banner...]

To address the inconsistent sync, I guess that's just the way I hear the song, so I synced what stood out most to me. I was more concerned with scene selection this time around. If you analyze the video with these things in mind, the video should make you think a bit [except don't think too much about the Bell, with has more to do with the anime... but adds a bit of mystery to the video... hence why I added the "*"]
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Fizziks
Org Profile

Post by Fizziks » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 am

I really enjoyed the calm mood you created through your music and scene selection. Very good work! :up:

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:41 pm

I must say that your approach is very artistic and intriguing, but sadly the editing itself really doesn't delve as much as it should. As a fan of the show I know the character well and even after reading your descriptions and watching again, the visuals don't capture her inner turmoil. You do a good job showing her outward feelings, but as a whole the vid just appears to be an emo stroll through the city rather than an emotional, symbolic revelation. I don't mean to be harsh or bitter, I just have a high appreciation of the show and as a fan it didn't connect as much as I'd hoped.

The technical editing was good and I love your creative spin on the concept, but it almost seems that this vid works better if you don't know the backstory of the character.

Good effort though, I look forward to your next one.

PS: Yes, I know it goes with the poem you wrote. But unfortunately while that poem provided excellent artistic value, it also limited the amount of emotion and story you could include in the vid.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:22 am

@Fizziks, glad you liked the atmosphere :)

@kisanzi, I totally see where you are coming from. The anime has a lot more to it than this video probably gives credit. However, I wanted to add an element of mystery, so the viewer can simply see what sort of emotion is there, without knowing why. So like you said, it probably works better for those who haven't seen the show. Your feedback is much appreciated.

In truth, I made this amv for the vehicle scene alone. All of the things I mentioned came rushing into my head the moment it occurred. I'm still a little unsure if the writers/artists did that scene like that on purpose, but the positioning, and camera focus couldn't have made a better statement. Ayane is there. The vehicle comes by. The camera shifts all of its focus to the birds. But where is Ayane? Then the following scene is introduced with Ayene's feet coming in from the top of the screen. With the focus on flight/escape, I thought that scene in the show was brilliant, so I thought I'd make something small, and share ^^
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”