Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Cell Phones, Birds, and Brown Eyes

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:12 am

I had the weekend off, so I thought I would make something quick... but I really liked where it was going, so I finished it off today. There's even an indirect link to megaupload for the Xvid version... or yousendit here

[<i>this goes along with the video</i>]----->
-------------------------------------------------
<i>f</i>light; Starting off the day with these thoughts.
Cell Phones
<i>f</i>ighting an Invader; the look in her Brown Eyes after it's over
More cell scenes. Pause... contemplating its use... then turning it off
[without feeding her own soul]
Shattered.

<i>Keep moving along</i>

The rest of the World.
backwards Beat
still here

bell*

the shadow walks into a Bird
outlined Connection
Brown Eyes

Interesting; it finally happened.
Jerk

Don't look Back
Back at school
Triplet

Brown Eyes.
---------------------------

*watch the anime
[p.s. I'm not a poet^^]

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Oh shi- A new Phantasm vid.

The sync seemed really inconsistent to me. I liked the mood, and the editing was there, but I just felt you left too many beats untouched.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:25 am

.. so .. the point was .. how she felt about the birds almost being run-over ?

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 am

The point is the plain coolness of the first half of the video, for the first half was far stronger than the second half of it. This is odd, since it's only a two minute video. As Kio said, it's inconsistent and only concentrates on the Backbeat. The sudden drops to black make it look unfinished as well. Overall though, I love the mood, the the first part I thought rocked. :D

Reigna
is actually a penguin in boots
Org Profile

Post by Reigna » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Really cool atmosphere kept throughout the vid. Now I want to check out this series too. >> Nice work overall. :)
Casting white shadows.

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 pm

I just downloaded it because I was just thinking about Gatekeepers 21 the other night. It's a good short OVA, far better than the original series. Thanks for making a video to it. I thought it was different and I like different. There were a few synch beats I found somewhat distracting because they felt too perfectly timed. I prefer videos that ebb and flow with the music, they way real music videos are made. But it was short and to the point and I liked it.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Oh... maybe I should have mentioned that this video is NOTHING like my last video which was mainly an exercise in sync. This video is all about scenes, mood, meaning etc. ... ... Yes, there are metaphors and shit in this one @_@

The purpose can't be more self-explanatory than 'character profile' about someone who tries to bear the brunt of the world on their shoulders. There is a central theme relying heavily on flight/escape. I could have written a book about everything I did, like the symbolism @ 0:55 for one example-- but like my English101 teacher would say: "don't write a book, write a poem." Hopefully, that helps, but there is more in the vid profile too.

So now that that's out of the way,

Kionon wrote:I liked the mood, and the editing was there, but I just felt you left too many beats untouched.
my guess is you were more focused on sync edits after watching my last amv. Here, I thought that would be more of a distraction, and people would be more focused on the editing rather than what's actually on the screen [didn't Beowulf make a rant about something like this?]

post-it wrote:.. so .. the point was .. how she felt about the birds almost being run-over ?
...um, no. After reading the central theme mentioned, there are several ways of interpreting that scene. There is no correct answer. Ironically, it has little to do with birds.

JudgeHolden wrote:The point is the plain coolness of the first half of the video, for the first half was far stronger than the second half of it. This is odd, since it's only a two minute video. As Kio said, it's inconsistent and only concentrates on the Backbeat. The sudden drops to black make it look unfinished as well. Overall though, I love the mood, the the first part I thought rocked. :D
Thank you :) Actually, even without mentioning what type of video this is, it's interesting that you noticed a difference in the second half-- The first half was supposed to be more intense [for lack of better word] where I tried to illustrate how Ayane tries to bear the brunt of the world by herself. In the second half, I tried to show how she keeps moving along... which isn't as exciting I guess... but moreover I incorporated the central theme of the need to escape.

Reigna wrote:Really cool atmosphere kept throughout the vid. Now I want to check out this series too. >> Nice work overall. :)
Thanks^^ you'll probably enjoy Gatekeepers 21. I really liked the animation.

rubyeye wrote:I thought it was different and I like different. There were a few synch beats I found somewhat distracting because they felt too perfectly timed. I prefer videos that ebb and flow with the music, they way real music videos are made. But it was short and to the point and I liked it.
Glad you liked it :D And you took the words right out of my mouth regarding sync [see my note to Kio]
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:14 pm

This video is so awesome I don't even know how to properly express it. Unlike those who have posted so far, I thought the sync worked really well - and I liked the way you kept changing up the way you'd sync. Sometimes inconsistencies like that make a video feel disconnected, but in this case I didn't feel that at all. I love all the symbolism, and it's obvious there's a lot going on beneath the surface here. The only problem I have were
JudgeHolden wrote:The sudden drops to black
Other than that, phantastic work, I like this a lot better than Awakened.

5/5 :up:

omegaevolution
Org Profile

Post by omegaevolution » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:35 pm

mmmm the AMV started and ended right away (which is good for me :D ), that means I enjoyed it in a way that the video ended so quickly I wanted more XD. Anyway yeah the synch was inconsistent but it worked nontheless, I was a bit confused about the birds and other stuff in the vid but after reading that post you made I kinda get it XD.

Anyway great work 4/5 :up:

PS: I think those "drops to black" worked well ;)
ImageImage

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:41 pm

omegaevolution wrote:mmmm the AMV started and ended right away (which is good for me :D ), that means I enjoyed it in a way that the video ended so quickly I wanted more XD. Anyway yeah the synch was inconsistent but it worked nontheless, I was a bit confused about the birds and other stuff in the vid but after reading that post you made I kinda get it XD.

Anyway great work 4/5 :up:

PS: I think those "drops to black" worked well ;)
x2, just no drops to black. Those drive me crazy.

3.8/5

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”