Whine, Clack, *Crash*

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:46 am

.. get a 650 watt power supply - they don't whine 8-) and unlike a 250 or 350 watt, if the 650 power supply does not need ALL of its power from your computer then it basically can be more Power Efficient than your 250 watt. ( that saves on your electric bill. )

.. while building my 1066 FSB Gamers Designer Computer, the people at Micro-Computers said, "its almost flaw-less" 8-)

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:13 pm

In his case, not an option and also not necessary. Kio has a Shuttle (near as I remember, please correct me if I'm wrong) and thus requires a SFX form factor (I think, either that or mATX) PSU. Also, there are very few systems (personal anyways) that require 650W (heck, very few need more than 500W). Also, saying that 650W don't whine isn't true. A low quality or faulty (rare, but it happens) PSU can also whine and crap. A higher watt PSU is also not necessarily more efficient. It really depends on the make.

I personally think the most important factor for PSUs is make. You definitely want to make sure you have a quality PSU made by a trusted manufacturer. The PSU is the one thing you absolutely should not skimp on. At that form factor, I would say look into getting a Sparkle/FSP PSU.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:49 pm

WC Annihilus wrote:In his case, not an option and also not necessary. Kio has a Shuttle (near as I remember, please correct me if I'm wrong) and thus requires a SFX form factor (I think, either that or mATX) PSU.

You are correct. I do have a Shuttle. And it is important to me to keep smaller computers, because I move a lot.

Now, kewp said I could find one at frye's if I looked. I found it hard to believe, but when I have the time, I'll look into it.
I personally think the most important factor for PSUs is make. You definitely want to make sure you have a quality PSU made by a trusted manufacturer. The PSU is the one thing you absolutely should not skimp on. At that form factor, I would say look into getting a Sparkle/FSP PSU.
I'll read up, thanks for the tip WC.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:40 am

It's dead, Jim.

Something fried last night. :/ New shuttle time...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:07 pm

.. a little late on this thought maybe ... older boards had some problems with Controllers frying the hard drives and motherboards --- can a Controller Chip fry a Power supply too ???

-- just curious!??

Return to “Hardware Discussion”