CGSociety Challenge - Strange Behavior

Brad
Org Profile

CGSociety Challenge - Strange Behavior

Post by Brad » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:01 am

I realize this has little to do with AMV's, but I figured that I'd at least like to bring this to people's attention.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge ... /index.php

I'm sure several people here are familiar with the community site CGSociety/CGTalk. If not, it is a site/community revolving around digital art (in both 2D and 3D realms in both still and animation). It is frequented by beginners, novices, and professionals alike and hang out there enough and you're bound to see some absolutely incredible work.

Anyways, I bring it up cause they do these sponsored "challenges" every so often. Basically, they have a theme, and then you take that theme and create a piece of artwork around it. Whether it be a 2D Illustration, a 3D still image, a 3D animation, or in this case, a short film using a specific script.

The big thing about these challenges is that the prize packages are simply unbelievable... Check them out here: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge ... prizes.php Scroll to the bottom of the page. For one thing, the software they're giving away is reeaallly valuable, but those BOXX Workstations are a digital artists DREAM machines... o_o

They're really encouraging team entries, especially on the Short Film category, so if you're an aspiring animator, or you're in school for animation, or something along those lines, definitely check this out and consider it. I mean hell, even if you don't win anything, the experience alone plus the potential material for a portfolio is wonderful. Anyways, check it out :)
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:00 am

Very interesting, I guess I'll have to talk to a few people ones I'm done with my school project/stuff. This might indeed provide some good portfolio work as you said. And if one dos happen to win as well then the prices are indeed pretty insane.

I say some "people" should jump in on these "challenges".
These "people" know I'm talking about them. no? :wink:

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:39 am

>_>

<_<

I've always wanted to get into an actual CG Challenge...I've gotten in on some of the un-official stuff they do for portfolio pieces...but...well yeah.

(you can expect a worklog thread of mine under 3D Animation WIP when I get my shit together :|)

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:01 pm

My first reaction to this is to take the theme and apply it towards weird, wonderful, quirky, and lavish visualizations of mathematical structures. (Seriously, if you want strange, that field (no pun intended) totally delivers.)

...then again, knowing what the average skill level of the people who enter these sorts of things is, I think something like that would have a snowball's chance in hell :P

Really awesome theme, though.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Dew eet. I can honestly say that the reason I've not participated in one of the big challenges yet is that there's always some other project or con or something I'm already knee deep in when they start one >_>

Lousy excuse I know, and I think it's a wonderful learning experience reguardless of skill level to learn from the best (I was amazed at the kindly delivered and extremely useful constructive criticism I recieved when I participated in a couple of their game art challenges)

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Totally man, do it. I've been spending the past two days browsing that site and I gotta say the community there is so freakin top notch... The way the WIP system is set up there is just so awesome in that it seems like everybody is there to help eachother and push eachother further. This isn't something you'll always find in the professional art world where everybody's trying to just one up eachother instead of help. Plus the fact that its so international is pretty cool too.

Given that I've just started actually learning 3D graphics, I will definitely NOT be participating in this challenge, but I'm giving myself a goal. I want to work hard enough and study hard enough that by this time next year, I will enter whatever the challenge is then. Huzzah!!

But yes, ZS, I am looking forward to seeing your WIP thread soon.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:01 am

AtomX wrote:I gotta say the community there is so freakin top notch...
Dude yeah, talk about a community where you can grow, these people are awesome for providing feedback. And there's very little of that "i'm better than u" crap.
AtomX wrote:Given that I've just started actually learning 3D graphics, I will definitely NOT be participating in this challenge, but I'm giving myself a goal. I want to work hard enough and study hard enough that by this time next year, I will enter whatever the challenge is then. Huzzah!!
Kickass :O

I'm uh...probably gonna get in on this under short film >_> put my TRV280 to good use...that and my brother just built a freaking camera boom crane :O

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:02 am

Any updates guys? :3

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 am

ZephyrStar wrote:Any updates guys? :3
Yeah. I'm modeling stuff. Slowly. :P

I posted some sketches, though. They aren't great, but they do give me a basis to go on.

I still don't know how I'm going to handle my character. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 am

I actually went and saw yer sketches right after I posted this -_-
I still need to post on CGtalk when I have some time to look at it further...

Return to “Effects & Techniques”