If Can't Use DivX or Xvid Then.........

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:42 pm

It's not really an issue of quality - sure frame accuracy becomes even more unpredictible, but using certian types of encodes (like XviD) in any sort of editing software have been linked (though i'm not sure how - but it has happened in front of me) to project file corruption and program instibility.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:I might get torn to shreds for saying this, but you don't really have to use Huffy =\ When it comes to Windows Movie Maker there really isn't any way to preserve the purdy quality that you get with lossless...
Actually, yes there is: custom WMV profiles. Make one that encodes your video with such a high bitrate that it's nearly lossless (and at any rate better-looking than DV AVI).

I forget where DownWithPants's guide to the process is, but if you can't or don't want to make one yourself, you can download this one that I made - http://www.aquilinestudios.org/VHQWMV2.prx - and save it to the C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles directory. Then, when next you open WMM and try to save a movie file, the profile should show up as "Very high quality WMV, 29.97 fps" in the "Other" category of exporting options (where DV AVI is).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:42 am

All the amaziling logic o.0

*smoke eruption*

I think something in my head broke o.0

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 am

downwithpants wrote:my point is, there is no RIGHT WAY to make amvs. use whatever works. 10-15 years ago, most amv editors didn't have huge anime dvd collections and were using 2-deck vcrs. they didn't have Read <a href="http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech/">ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a> or dvd decrypter. they just used whatever they had in front of them, some of their own ingenuity, and made the best with what they had. they weren't as clean looking or precisely timed as today's videos, but they still entertained the hell out of the creators and fans at that time, and still do today.

i can't agree.
if there were ways to improve quality or frame accuracy without spending any money, any smart editor would have used it back then.

today though, we have these tools and guides available to for free to remove interlacing, get great quality, encode lossless footage, ect.
not taking advantage of it is like shooting yourself in the foot. and encouraging the guides to be ignored at all is just going to cause more problems, questions, and poor output.
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:34 pm

okay, my point may not have come out as i intended.

yall are complainin about the fact that krillin the villin claims that he has had success with divx and xvid in wmm in the past. if thats what works for him, thats fine. why would i lock a thread just because some wmm users are able to edit with lossy intraframe codecs?

naturally, i encourage using lossless codecs and agree that they are better than lossy codecs as source, but its not against the rules to use lossy codecs or talk about it.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Re: If Can't Use DivX or Xvid Then.........

Post by Autraya » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:39 am

Actually I was asking for lockage 'cause this is what was originally asked.
DWP you are of course 100% correct ppl can use what ever they want, but the question was;
The_God_Of_Death_Mara wrote:Well alot of people are saying not to use Xvid or DivX files with windows movie maker or it will shut down on you and I have found that to be very true but..... what type of files should I be useing for the windows movie maker I've tried many file types but none seem to work. Can some one please tell the type of files they use so that I can make an Amv?
This was answered several times, and now this is turning into a "I've used Divx/Xvid and it's fine for me debate".
When The_God_Of_Death_Mara has already stated Xvid/Divx are giving him/her problems. I'm sorry if this gets your back up but that's the point i was trying to make.

Although I've got to say Bashar & Minion X2 on your points

Scintillia's link is interesting. o.O
new banzors in the making :p

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”