Adolecense of Utena

IamSD
Org Profile

Adolecense of Utena

Post by IamSD » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:53 pm

I like the car scene. Other than that it got pretty confusing at time. Yet, Revolutionary Girl Utena was more confusing... *thinks* Yes, I bought them.

>:B @ Anthy with long hair. It just bugs me.

Anthy says: I'm ugly.
I fixed my Sig! L33tn3ss!

Princess Garnet
Org Profile

Post by Princess Garnet » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:57 pm

But Anthys so pretty iwht long hair! Espeically in the series. ^_^

My favorite part was the Toki Ni Ai Wa scene.

Wich saga did you buy?
-Princess Garnet

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:11 pm

*digs fingernails into the desk waiting for the danged Black Rose arc to be friggin' officially released ARGH!*

*coughs*

It would just be so much more rewarding to watch in nice clear form. You know? Just smile and nod with me here...

What's odd about Adolescence is that I took it to have the completely opposite meaning/message than it apparently has. O_o

As for Anthy, I ... hm. Her character is more mysterious in the movie, allllmost to a fault. She's creepier (she seems much happier about being used) and more colorful at the same time, which are both interesting. Artistically, I definitely prefer movie Anthy. It seems to fit the "mysterious trophy girl / sorceress" part of her personality, as opposed to the series design, which seems to fit the "mundane" parts: the repressed, submissive, abused parts of her personality.

Annnd I should shut up right now because I haven't seen the whole series yet. X_x *ducks a savage beating*

TekkaRepliroid Zero
Org Profile

Post by TekkaRepliroid Zero » Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:21 pm

Black Rose arc was SUCH a waste of time.

But on topic of the movie, Anthy looks GORGEOUS in the movie, and she's a little more twisted C Design, much for the better. Anthy sucked in the TV series except in the last couple of eps, and looked like crap.
Every character got a (much needed) revamp in appearance in the movie, the TV series art quality is pathetically 2D a lot of the time. The Utena movie is visually the most gorgeous piece of animation I've seen TO DATE, while at the same time the TV series is a suprisingly low quality IMO :?
<i>TekkaRepliroid Zero</i>
I'll Never be the One that she Needs (first DL-able vid, ops appreciated)
"OOW, Why does it huuuuuuurt?!" - Zim
"Ooonly if you dance with meeeee" - GIR

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:36 am

I disagree with you about the TV series. I think it's rather attractive - but perhaps I am more forgiving because I know it's a TV series and I expect less in the art and animation of a TV series anyway.

However, I certainly agree with you about the movie. Everything about it is gorgeous... I honestly love the first battle... the music, the animation, the way Utena's hair was suddenly long when she drew the sword... just everything!

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:42 am

Oh really? Care to back up that flaming with some reasons, what's your name with the mecha avatar?

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:47 am

If you've even seen it, by the way, here's my small defense of that arc.

Yes, it doesn't relate that much to the Big Picture. However, I find it more interesting, in such a long series, to divert attention a bit and explore a little more of this cast they've set up. Rather than a cookie-cutter "Best Friend Type A" cipher, we actually see a bit of complexity and depth to Wakaba. It explores what the Student Council are *really* about, as we see each of them (apart from the already-dethroned-by-that-point Saionji) show their own weaknesses and conflicts.

In short, it's *human*. It's psychological, and twisted - not BIG AND DRAMATIC twisted, but quietly manipulative. It's dramatic without pulling out any enormous, over-the-top ridiculousness.

Again, it's human. In a series concerned 99% with the oh so dramatic lives of the superhuman, it's an intriguing and refreshing change in my opinion to turn the camera on the background for a moment, and through that, see how it reflects on the central few.

Princess Garnet
Org Profile

Post by Princess Garnet » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:11 am

Black Rose Saga was the best story in the series though, well besides the Juri and Anthy one.
-Princess Garnet

TekkaRepliroid Zero
Org Profile

Post by TekkaRepliroid Zero » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:32 am

Black Rose arc was chliche/rehashed stock plot, as well as when it came to the setup of duels. As you already said, it doesn't relate to the big picture. The characters it focuses on I find annoying, like Wakaba and Nanami. It screams filler.
<i>TekkaRepliroid Zero</i>
I'll Never be the One that she Needs (first DL-able vid, ops appreciated)
"OOW, Why does it huuuuuuurt?!" - Zim
"Ooonly if you dance with meeeee" - GIR

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:23 am

Awww the Nanami episodes are true gems though.

dona dona dona dona....

Return to “General Anime”