has the org become female?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 pm

SQ wrote:I thought you were still using WMM?
Nope, you read it right. I use Premiere 6.0 now. And I graduated a couple years ago so it's too late for the student discount. Not that I ever had the money for it when I was a student, anyway.

I might spring for a package with the newer versions of Premiere someday, but probably not. I make the same vids in Premiere that I made in wmm, so I don't think the program matters with me. :roll:

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Have to agree with the technical aptitude comment. In my experience, guys are still much more computer literate than girls. There were 3 girls including me in my section of introductory CS, and only 5 girls TOTAL in the ENTIRE section that semester. Next class it went down to three, next class it went down to two. As soon as I say "computer science," most girls say, "oh wow that's way over my head." Engineering and similarly "difficult" fields are worse. My dad is an EE professor, and he's lucky to get ONE female engineering student who stays after the first year.

I'd love to see more girls seriously delving into technical fields. Why they aren't is a bit mystifying to me. May be biased, as I had an unusually unisex upbringing, but I'm pretty sure most girls are brighter than they believe. Maybe it's because (YES, THIS IS A GENERALIZATION) guys still prefer their women less educated than they are compounded with an overexposure to cutesydumbasastump anime chicks. :p
SQ wrote:Girls don't use other programs because they either don't have the money
18-22 range...eh, I think it's more a matter of what they spend it on. In my experience, college girls splurge on nicer apartments while college guys buy a plasma flatscreen (or an AMV editing system) to compensate for living in the ghetto. The money advantage is apparent among college graduates, not students or HS-only graduates.
SQ wrote: or don't know how to pirate.

Can't say I agree with this one. Sure, the technically inept girls don't know how to pirate along with a million other things they can't do on a computer. Assuming a girl is computer savvy, why is she less likely to figure out how to pirate than a guy? If she's unfamiliar with copyright law, then she's too ignorant to know that unlicensed software is "a bad thing." If she does have a clue and doesn't want to tread in murky waters, then she won't be making AMVs anyway...
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Shazzy wrote:I'd love to see more girls seriously delving into technical fields. Why they aren't is a bit mystifying to me.
I'm pretty sure it's partially the difference in the way our brains are wired and partially the stigma that seems to be attached to performing WELL in the sciences for young girls, at least if you can believe the science editor of the <i>New York Times</i>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:18 pm

Arigatomina wrote:Most "girls" - 18-22 - I know in "real life" are complete and utter doormat morons. They'll put up with anything for a rub on the belly and a kind word now and then.
Ohh Where these girls at?
Arigatomina wrote: I imagine girls who were even younger than these would be even worse on average.
Niotex wrote: Ohhh Where these girls at?
I don't agree with the "girls don't use other programs" - I'd make that "most young ignorant and lazy girls" don't use other programs. That way you make room for the exceptions.
Arigatomina wrote: I thought if everyone on the forum was saying the same thing, surely one of them must be telling the truth. Instead it's a group conspiracy with everyone agreeing to tell the same damn lie (and one or two rich people telling the truth...maybe, if you believe them).
I own my editing software. I got an educational version for less than half price.

As for the VCAs did yu notice that the winners were mostly Russian?

it's not so much what sex you are... but what country you're from :O

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:21 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:As for the VCAs did yu notice that the winners were mostly Russian?

it's not so much what sex you are... but what country you're from :O
Make that "continent". Unless I'm reading it wrong, two winners were from Russia, while three more were from other European countries. That's half of the people who won right there.

Europe also provided five of our VCA winners for <s>2005</s> 2004 (Istiv, Inertia, ScorpionsUltd, Janzki, and Tyler_yj).

yes I know that Russia is also partially in Asia but it's more convenient to ignore that
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Scintilla wrote:yes I know that Russia is also partially in Asia but it's more convenient to ignore that
That's what the BBC does! :O

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 pm

i just dont like capitalizations and punctuation... cause im lazy not because i dont know how to use the :P

lolz

O.o

imo it doesnt matter the gender/sex or the nationality of the person making the amv, its weather or not i enjoy the amv

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:27 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Shazzy wrote:I'd love to see more girls seriously delving into technical fields. Why they aren't is a bit mystifying to me.
I'm pretty sure it's partially the difference in the way our brains are wired and partially the stigma that seems to be attached to performing WELL in the sciences for young girls, at least if you can believe the science editor of the <i>New York Times</i>.
I should note that I am terrible at both math and science. I was in high school, and I was in college, even when I tried really, really hard. I spent a small fortune on tutors to make the As in those classes, and I was really only regurgitating formulas that I forgot as quickly as the grades were in. I still have trouble following processes or even doing simple math. Unless I "feel" the process, I'll mess up the steps and get frustrated. That is to say, I have to have an emotional aspect to a set of steps, or else I get confused and my ability to follow order of operations or set priorities suffers. Connected to this, of course, is also when I am upset or frustrated or stressed, these already weak traits are the first to go. I have a hard time being self-confident and relying on my understanding of anything with a long series of actions if I am stressed, upset, frustrated, etc.

However, I have always found that editing feels to me like an artform. The mouse and keyboard is my paintbrush; the sources my palate; monitors my canvas. I don't approach editing with any kind of technical mindset (probably why I don't make concept videos, or techbeat videos, or anything of the sort). I do storyboard, but only very generically. The underlying scenes, but what I do as far as specific beat synch and effects are all up to how I understand the emotional ebb and flow of the sources used while I'm editing. Usually they will match up with my internal vision, but that's because I am already familiar with the sources before I begin editing, so much of the synch is already done in my head.

Take that as you may, it can be used as ammunition for both sides, I suppose.

Oh, and I was going to post a picture of my adobe premiere packaging, but my room is messy again, and it's late. I don't feel like tearing through my paperwork boxes to find it tonight, but I will post it tomorrow. I am not rich, I am not lying, but I did not pirate Premiere. I didn't pay for it, and I've never claimed to have paid for it. I worked with it, and my job let me keep it when they phased the position out as an added bonus. Otherwise, I would not have been able to afford it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:58 am

I used to view amvs as an artform, directing rather than editing. Then the whole technical aspect caught up and it became a chore. My favorite part is choosing or making footage and watching the finished project. I hate editing.
Kionon wrote:I didn't pay for it, and I've never claimed to have paid for it. I worked with it, and my job let me keep it when they phased the position out as an added bonus. Otherwise, I would not have been able to afford it.
In that case you don't have to worry about proof. The only people I ever doubted were the ones who said they bought it for $500-900 a pop just so they could make amvs. People who work with the program (at some kind of job or school) are entirely different. They have a reason to invest besides the 3 to 5 minutes of enjoyment after the amv is finished. :?

Then again, hypocrite that I am, I've spent a small fortune in doujinshi and anime dvds, so I guess I could have been saving it up for a program if I were really dedicated. It's not that it sounds impossible to pay that much, just very unlikely for the casual hobbyists.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:29 am

Arigatomina wrote: In that case you don't have to worry about proof. The only people I ever doubted were the ones who said they bought it for $500-900 a pop just so they could make amvs. People who work with the program (at some kind of job or school) are entirely different. They have a reason to invest besides the 3 to 5 minutes of enjoyment after the amv is finished.
I bought my Apple Mac Mini with Final Cut Studio for the sole purpose of using it for video editing. I did spend on the order of $700+ on it. As it stands, I rarely use it for anything but post-processing, although I really, really, really want to cut my umbilical cord relationship with Premiere and use my Mac all the time so I can get away from the day when DRMed Windows will cripple my ability to edit on a PC.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General Discussion”