has the org become female?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Nessephanie wrote:Wow, you seem to think all females are idiots that can't fine their way around a computer program. I'm not going into it cause I hate most of this crap about sexes, but I think half of what you said is completely bullshit.
I was wondering when someone would get ticked off about sexism with this topic. Surprised it took 4 pages. Oh well, generalization does not equal sexist unless someone makes the mistake of saying 'because many females are (insert generalization here) then ALL females, especially the one I'm talking to right now, must be (insert generalization here)'.

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:57 pm

JaddziaDax wrote: ayanefan - its not like im in competition with him for journal posting anyways lolz
I'm just needy and lonely, I love the journals (even in it's diminished capacity) and I want people to know I'm still active even if it's a "Hello ORG" message. Think of me as the old geezer on the park bench you see everyday, except I have a home.

Uh, otherwise I'm just a fly on the wall.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:30 pm

SQ wrote:A large percentage of it is the age gap. Most girls on here are like 15.
I wasn't aware that there was a way of tracking age on this site. Or of making sure that it was even the real age. And for that matter, of tracking what programs the females use, checking to make sure that they're legal copies, and testing their technical skills.

Everything that we see as a trend or we think to be common knowledge is only represented by what each of us has dealt with individually. Myself, I've met maybe one female editor 15 or younger. I don't think I've met another one that wasn't younger than 17 or so. And I've met more girls that use Vegas than those that use WMM. So we'll all have differing opinions on such and there's no real way to track it.

So, basically,
Moonlight Soldier wrote:Yay generalizations with no controlled variables. \o/

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Most "girls" - 18-22 - I know in "real life" are complete and utter doormat morons. They'll put up with anything for a rub on the belly and a kind word now and then. Translate that to amvs and you get minimal effort as long as someone will be nice once in a while. I imagine girls who were even younger than these would be even worse on average.

I don't agree with the "girls don't use other programs" - I'd make that "most young ignorant and lazy girls" don't use other programs. That way you make room for the exceptions.

I do agree about the pirating, though. I hate being stuck one of the girls because, yeah, there's some residual innocence in me that wants to believe the best of people. I was stupid when I first came here. I thought if everyone on the forum was saying the same thing, surely one of them must be telling the truth. Instead it's a group conspiracy with everyone agreeing to tell the same damn lie (and one or two rich people telling the truth...maybe, if you believe them).

As for the technical aptitude generalization...it's still more true than not. I was the the only female in my computer aided drafting class in high school, one of three girls in my advanced math class, the only girl in the mechanical engineering program at USI (1999 to 2003 - the only one, for 3.5 years). I'm sure there are some girls who grew up with a technical background, excelled in the sort of hobbies and fields that would make editing an easy trick to pick up (and enjoy doing). I've just never met any in real life and don't expect to. Yes, they give more scholarships for the rare girls interested in technical fields (I got a great one), but that doesn't make more girls sign up. I had no female competition. Don't tell me it's changed that much in the last 4 years. I still have friends who teach at USI and they still don't have female students. ^_^;

So, yeah, I think most girls are embarrassingly lazy or technically inept (I'm both). But it's okay, because I think most young guys are lazy and inept, too. They're just a tad more likely to pick up editing because of the "editing" rather than the "ooh, pretty anime" aspect, which is a benefit in an effect-driven amving community.

As for how old most people one the org are...

If they write like they're five and have never heard of punctuation, I assume they're either teenagers - who haven't been to enough school to know better, or they're retarded, in which case legally they're still minors. Most of the amvs on the org - never posted on the forum, but loaded all over local, have vid descriptions written by retards or people with a five year old's level of literacy. Assuming most of the Inuyasha vids alone were made by girls in this age bracket (a safe bet judging by the descriptions)...yeah, we have a lot of very young girl editors on this site. Since most of the vids are wmv you can safely bet a large portion of them were made in wmm. That, or we have a lot of really stupid young women on this site who would rather convert their nice subtitled Premiere-exported huffyuvs to wmv just because they prefer bloated file size and poor quality. I'd rather believe they're too young to know better. So I place them in the 12 to 15 range where they won't insult most of the "female editors" I actually know (who are all older, much more active on the forum outside the wmm help section, and who know how to read and write and use technical programs).

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:25 pm

Arigatomina wrote:I do agree about the pirating, though. I hate being stuck one of the girls because, yeah, there's some residual innocence in me that wants to believe the best of people. I was stupid when I first came here. I thought if everyone on the forum was saying the same thing, surely one of them must be telling the truth. Instead it's a group conspiracy with everyone agreeing to tell the same damn lie (and one or two rich people telling the truth...maybe, if you believe them).
Alternatively, not rich, but having a parent interested enough in video editing to buy the expensive software for him.

Lie? I personally find it hard to believe that the people here who actually know what they're doing are using illegitimate software; at least, I don't know anyone who does.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:43 pm

Scintilla wrote:Lie? I personally find it hard to believe that the people here who actually know what they're doing are using illegitimate software; at least, I don't know anyone who does.
I will not publicly admit I use pirated software. Privately is a different matter entirely. Then again, you did specify 'knows what they're doing' so perhaps I don't qualify.

Of the people who I happen to know if they're legit or not, I'd say most of the people well known for quality are legit while most of us on the mid-level or sucky end of things aren't. So I'm not disagreeing with Scintilla, I just think he's being overly restrictive with the statement and ignoring what those who don't care much about what they're doing use.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:43 pm

I am more apt to believe that people get them as gifts. But I can only name one person (from the forum) I know who actually bought it himself.

Luckily, I can add myself to this list at the end of this month. =)
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:06 pm

SQ wrote:I am more apt to believe that people get them as gifts.
I could believe that. My problem was for the first two years I never heard anything about "make friends with someone who will buy you a copy for your birthday." It was always "it's only $900" or "if you're a college student you can get it discounted for $600". And I'm sitting there thinking, what college student has $500 to spend on a program for amvs when I'm living off one pack of ramen noodles a day so I still have enough money to pay my car insurance??? I stuck with wmm forever because I bought my computer, the program came with the package - so I purchased it legally with my own hardearned cash "just like everyone else on the forum did with their copies of Premiere." Now I look back on that idiot me and want to smack her around for being very stupid. >.<

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:08 pm

I thought you were still using WMM?
StandardQuip

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:09 pm

SQ wrote:I thought you were still using WMM?
Misread your post, nevermind this. >_>

But I would like to note that with a student discount, you can get the entire cs3 package for 600. Production Premium has:

Premiere
Flash
After Effects
Illustrator
SoundBooth
OnLocation
Ultra
Photoshop Extended
And probably something else I'm forgetting.
StandardQuip

Return to “General Discussion”