has the org become female?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Arigatomina
Org Profile

has the org become female?

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:25 am

I had someone (via annonymous QC) suggest I post this here. This is a slightly less sarcastic and "dangerous" version than the original. If you want the snark, check my journal. ^^;
Has the 'voice of the org' become female? Compared to two or three years ago, it seems to have shifted from obviously male to predominantly female.

Points supporting this hypothesis:

-the most active members of the site are female
(excluding doki and unseen admin guys)

Maybe they always were on the forum. I remember plenty of girls posting in 2004 to 2005. But I also remember a lot more guys posting at the same time. Now they all seem to be female. Every thread with three or more pages has more females posting than guys (generalization).

-the banners are girly

They've always featured female characters, but now they're cutsy baby pastel female characters instead of hot seminude pinups. We have a flower on our new logo so we can expect even more pretty girly banners in the next year. Are there any guys making banners or have they been run off by the pastels? I like pale blue and lavender, myself. Girls make the banners (fact) and girls do the voting (assumption).

-more girls announce videos than guys

This statement has not been verified. But every time I randomly look in the announcement forum, most of the names are recognizable females (either regulars who I know are girls, or new members with girl names).

-more girls make popular videos than guys

Based off the top 10 list for the last year versus previous years (generalization).

-we're nicer and more tolerant to trolls

Kickass31~~ & Hatter's recent reappearance compared to the reaction to Sammy and other foregone trolls (fact). Whether or not this is because of the prominent female presence is debatable.

-we're all about loving wmm users to their faces, though few of us actually use the program

This is a fact. It used to be the only people who defended the program were people who were still using it. Now we have a forum just for that program, where everyone who's never used it stops by to tell newbies how it works. I blame this on the decrease in testosterone because most of the people posting in that forum (helping *and* asking for help) are female.

-females rule the MEPs

I can't remember any MEPs from two years ago that were predominantly female, let alone run by a female coordinator. Most of the MEPs that came out in the last 1.5 years were run and filled by females (fact).

-females give more ops

Collectively this is a fact. Whether it's an increase versus previous years, I don't know. We can't sort the op lists by date. I don't remember there being so many girls so high on the lists two years ago.

Points against the hypothesis:

-guys still win the VCAs, with one token female per year (sometimes two)

Fact. With girls doing the majority of the active forum-posting, the MEPs, the banners, the vid announcements, and the ops, it's interesting that guys are still the ones doing the successful videos. I'm curious to know who voted for the vcas - a list so I can see how many were male versus female. Maybe the guys still outnumber us, or maybe girls are more active in voting and they just happen to prefer videos made by guys. Or maybe the guys here are just better at making amvs than the girls. I have no idea.

I've always thought of "The Org" and amvs in general as a "guy thing." It's amusing to see how female it's become. And the big question - are there more girls, or are the girls more noticeable because the active guys are disappearing?

Assuming this trend continues, I'd like to still be here when the day comes where the winners of the VCA are girls with a "token guy". Then the female takeover will be complete. ^_^

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:29 am

1) I resent gender-classification in videos. For what little truth there is to it, there's always lots of exceptions.

2) On the other hands, it's been suggested I am/am turning into a girl, which seems more convincing every day. That would support it :shock:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Re: has the org become female?

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:33 am

Arigatomina wrote:I can't remember any MEPs from two years ago that were predominantly female, let alone run by a female coordinator.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=101355
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=101359

:uhoh:

Also, I agree with Oto's first point. And maybe the second one too.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:36 am

Hey, maybe that's why it seems so boring now.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Re: has the org become female?

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:37 am

jasper-isis wrote:Instrumentality MEP
That's one mep. How many MEPs came out that year? That was also less than two years ago - that one's right around the 1.5 cutoff I gave. ;p

But you're right. I liked that one and I didn't even notice how many females were involved in it till just now. :lol:

BlaCk_PeArL_27
Org Profile

Post by BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:43 am

To me I see lots of girls active on this forum but since I'm not participating on any MEP or VCA's I can't even tell that one. Just I want to see too if there's any guys always active here more than girls "_" or if I'm wrong ignore this post.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:43 am

Flint the Dwarf wrote:Hey, maybe that's why it seems so boring now.
Well, if you guys would post a little more often maybe you could help liven things up. ;p

Note that I didn't mention the Donators Forum. It seems like most of the people posting here are guys. Maybe more guys donate than girls. Or they just prefer to talk OT rather than AMV. Aren't generalizations fun?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:45 am

Ari - that was just the release date though. It'd dragged on for at least a year and a half before getting released at the end of 05. x__x

And yes, we had a whole two female editors on that one. Maybe more if you count Bakadeshi's unconfirmed gender at the time. :wink:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:46 am

Arigatomina wrote: Aren't generalizations fun?
:roll:

Yea, that's what I've been trying to say, basically :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:53 am

Actually, don't mean to hijack your thread now, but since we're making generalizations, here's something I've been wondering...

A lot of people seem to become more active in the forums around the age of 19. Is there a trend here, or am I just imagining things?

Return to “General Discussion”