Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Post by paizuri » Wed May 30, 2007 9:28 pm

This is the official Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann discussion thread.

Official website (japanese)

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 pm

All I have to say is

http://www.aieli-ileia.com/Ileia/Videos/Other/gl.avi

That's enough to make me watch it.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

spacekase
Org Profile

Post by spacekase » Thu May 31, 2007 2:22 pm

This is without a doubt my favorite anime of this season. Don't get me wrong, I love Hayate and Darker than Black, too. They just don't hold a candle to Gurren Lagann and it's astronomical level of badassitry. I think the main thing that I like is that the good guys always win. I'm so tired of shows where the main characters get shit on over and over again. But then, there was episode eight....
Spoiler :
The good guys always winning just served to make the impact of Kamina's death much more potent. I knew it was coming, but It still made me feel like I was caught off guard. But, this will be the definitive motivation for Simon to become the badass we got a hint of in the opening moments of episode one.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:22 am

This show is really fun stuff. I still wanna see Gainax do a show like this and knock down the retarded factor by 100%, but for now :3
Spoiler :
I'm also wanting to see Simoun not pull a Shinji and become more like Kamina...maybe just more level headed...that would make him reeeeeally dangerous :) ...and I want to see Yoko do more :/ I mean, she needs to whip out like, an omg Speciral-Typu Supaa Rightspeed bullet, and take down some bigass ganmen all by herself.

Ileia
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 am

ZephyrStar wrote:This show is really fun stuff. I still wanna see Gainax do a show like this and knock down the retarded factor by 100%, but for now :3
Spoiler :
...and I want to see Yoko do more :/ I mean, she needs to whip out like, an omg Speciral-Typu Supaa Rightspeed bullet, and take down some bigass ganmen all by herself.
Spoiler :
Damn right. She started out all action, they should keep that up. I really hope that they don't just try to make her the love interest. Will she show interest in someone else now that Kamina is gone? Perhaps Simon? I HOPE NOT.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:00 am

Ileia wrote:
ZephyrStar wrote:This show is really fun stuff. I still wanna see Gainax do a show like this and knock down the retarded factor by 100%, but for now :3
Spoiler :
...and I want to see Yoko do more :/ I mean, she needs to whip out like, an omg Speciral-Typu Supaa Rightspeed bullet, and take down some bigass ganmen all by herself.
Spoiler :
Damn right. She started out all action, they should keep that up. I really hope that they don't just try to make her the love interest. Will she show interest in someone else now that Kamina is gone? Perhaps Simon? I HOPE NOT.
Spoiler :
GOD yeah that would be bad...if anything could make me stop watching the show it might be that. I'm hoping she'll break free of any love interest other than Kamina, become this badass kinda "you fuckers are gonna pay now" girl. Except minus the emo, would be much better for her to get over it and become really strong headed. She has the potential to be one of the kickest ass heroines in anime.

Ileia
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:21 am

ZephyrStar wrote:
Spoiler :
GOD yeah that would be bad...if anything could make me stop watching the show it might be that. I'm hoping she'll break free of any love interest other than Kamina, become this badass kinda "you fuckers are gonna pay now" girl. Except minus the emo, would be much better for her to get over it and become really strong headed. She has the potential to be one of the kickest ass heroines in anime.
Spoiler :
Oh, yeah, she can be all "You killed my love now you will all die." and go on a rampage. That would be kickass.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:30 am

I've seen a LOT of new doujins on this series [but don't bother reading doujins on series I've rarely if at all seen... Sometimes it can get me to watch an anime like say, Negima *shudder*]

What's the draw from this anime anyway? Babes, Guns? etc. I haven't seen many detailed reviews on it since it's so new.
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

spacekase
Org Profile

Post by spacekase » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 pm

The draw for me was that it was a new Gainax show, basically. From what I'd seen it looked very FLCL-ish, which is one of my favorites, so I decided to check it out. I was blown away from episode one. It was funny, full of balls-out action, and the animation was absolutely gorgeous, except for ep. 4, lets just forget about that one... :roll:

But yeah, you're pretty much right. The draw is babes, guns and badass robots beating the seven shades of crap out of each other. :lol:

BTW, did anyone else notice Rei and Asuka at the in the hot spring episode? That made me smile.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:56 pm

spacekase wrote: BTW, did anyone else notice Rei and Asuka at the in the hot spring episode? That made me smile.
Not just the two of them....Mahoro (Mahoromatic) was in there, as well as Nono and Lark (Diebuster). I lol'd.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”