P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

This is the official forum for Project OrgEditor Season 3, hosted by CodeZTM.

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby SilverFreedoms » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:35 pm

CodeZTM wrote:For the record (and because I'm sure it will be asked), the judges have until 11:59 PM CST tonight to get in their scores. I'll tally the scores tomorrow morning and release the second round as well as the round 1 results at the same time. So no need to stay up late tonight, official scores/stuff won't be up until tomorrow morning my time.


Image
Imaget had to be said: the world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrifice.

in Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead
User avatar
SilverFreedoms
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Status: Hungry

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Kitsuner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:37 pm

One post later, and Code's announcement could have been the start of the Unlucky Page Thirteen. Missed opportunities... :(
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
User avatar
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Top Breeder

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby GuntherAMVs » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Kitsuner wrote:One post later, and Code's announcement could have been the start of the Unlucky Page Thirteen. Missed opportunities... :(

I know, right? Such a shame~~
Also, good luck to everyone! I'm excited for results~~ <3
LIVE YOUR ART. LOVE YOUR LIFE.
Image
User avatar
GuntherAMVs
Mistress of Cocaine.
 
Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Location: Double Rainbow World
Status: =w=

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Radical_Yue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:23 pm

siny wrote:
Spoiler :
My first advise for whoever passes to the next round: please try to be original. On such a general theme like this, your video will only stand out if it's original! I have nothing against 5cm videos (I love the anime), but for a contest like this and especially at the first round, to use such an overused anime is quite a risk. When you get the theme, find a concept first. It will make things easier for you!

For example, for this theme, here's how I would think about it. What season do I want to represent? Do I want to show more than one season? So I have my season(s), now how am I going to stand out from 29 more editors? For Spring it's more likely that people will do romance videos, for Winter people will probably do more melancholic videos, Summer will most likely have that fun party mood and I'm not sure if people will even use Autumn alone, unless it's a mix. So you figure out what people will most likely do, so you need to run away from that! And now that I have my idea, let's pick an anime or more than one. Let's make sure I know the anime well (this is debatable) or if I'm going to use more than one, google will be my friend to help me find the scenes I want (and fast). About picking the song, let's make sure it fits the mood of my season and the anime(s) I picked.

These are just simple guidelines I usually think about before editing, and it helps a lot! I know time is a key factor, but you have to also think about your video. You can think about it while at work or school (ok I know it's bad but still ;D) or while you're going somewhere. It also helps if you take a look at the titles of the themes and just try to imagine what the real theme will be. Think about what would you do, what song would you use, prepare your footage, etc. You will edit 10x faster if you already know what you want and how you want it. Random pretty scenes for a contest like this are not enough! You have to stand out as much as you can, that's the whole point to get you to the end of this! :wink:

I'm not saying don't edit 5cm videos or ramdom spring scenes, but save those kind of videos to other times. Because even if your editing is superb and perfect, your video will just be that. You want it to be way more! :)



siny, let's get married <3
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Pwolf » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Not to try and say what you are saying is wrong or unwarranted.. people, please try to do something different... but, all things considered, what anime you use or originality shouldn't be a factor in judging considering the judging rules have already been laid out, none of which mention originality or overused source:

Section 4 : Judging

Each video will be judged based upon the following criteria:

Concept: 20 Points
Visual/Audio: 20 Points
Sync/Editing: 20 Points
Theme Challenge: 20 Points
Overall: 20 Points

Concept: If the video has a point to it. Is it 3 minutes of footage slapped onto a song, or is there a purpose behind the editing? While it doesn't necessarily have to have a story, it should still have a purpose/theme behind it.

Visual/Audio: Technical aspect of the video. 10 points for visual and 10 points for audio. Is the footage as clean as it can be? Is the audio as script and clear as can be? Please be sure to take note that older sources will not be penalized for being an old source.

Sync/Editing: How well the video was edited/synced to the music. Does the video and music work well together? Did the editor actually edit the video?

Theme Challenge: How well the video addressed the theme challenge. Does the video attempt to take the challenge into account, or is it just a video for the sake of being a video?

Overall: How the video comes together as a whole. Does the editing/sync, the theme challenge, the technical qualities and the concept meld together well?


I know I'm not making it to the next round as I didn't have enough time to edit my video thoroughly but I certainly hope that all the judges are adhering to the rules that code gave you and making sure all videos are judged fairly under those guidelines.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
User avatar
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
 
Joined: 03 May 2001
Location: Some where in California, I forgot :\

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Radical_Yue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Well, there is a difference between lack of originality due to using a popular source (which shouldn't be judged) and lack of originality with how you edit that already overused source.
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Kitsuner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Pwolf wrote:Not to try and say what you are saying is wrong or unwarranted.. people, please try to do something different... but, all things considered, what anime you use or originality shouldn't be a factor in judging considering the judging rules have already been laid out, none of which mention originality or overused source:

Section 4 : Judging

Each video will be judged based upon the following criteria:

Concept: 20 Points
Visual/Audio: 20 Points
Sync/Editing: 20 Points
Theme Challenge: 20 Points
Overall: 20 Points

Concept: If the video has a point to it. Is it 3 minutes of footage slapped onto a song, or is there a purpose behind the editing? While it doesn't necessarily have to have a story, it should still have a purpose/theme behind it.

Visual/Audio: Technical aspect of the video. 10 points for visual and 10 points for audio. Is the footage as clean as it can be? Is the audio as script and clear as can be? Please be sure to take note that older sources will not be penalized for being an old source.

Sync/Editing: How well the video was edited/synced to the music. Does the video and music work well together? Did the editor actually edit the video?

Theme Challenge: How well the video addressed the theme challenge. Does the video attempt to take the challenge into account, or is it just a video for the sake of being a video?

Overall: How the video comes together as a whole. Does the editing/sync, the theme challenge, the technical qualities and the concept meld together well?


I know I'm not making it to the next round as I didn't have enough time to edit my video thoroughly but I certainly hope that all the judges are adhering to the rules that code gave you and making sure all videos are judged fairly under those guidelines.

That sounds like Shinkai-editor talk! :evil:
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
User avatar
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Top Breeder

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby siny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:23 pm

SelfishPromise wrote:Siny's wisdom is clearly too much for a single post.

(and follow her advice, kids!)


RAWdangers wrote:Nice double post siny xPPPP


WHY YOU TWO SO MEAN TO ME :cry: and my internet who was obviously lacking at the time :|

Radical_Yue wrote:siny, let's get married <3


Yue, you're going too fast! I need dates and flowers and chocolates! ;D <3

Pwolf wrote:Not to try and say what you are saying is wrong or unwarranted.. people, please try to do something different... but, all things considered, what anime you use or originality shouldn't be a factor in judging considering the judging rules have already been laid out, none of which mention originality or overused source:


Oh no please, don't misinterpret what I said! I know it's not on the judge's criteria to evaluate overused sources, but you have Concept, Theme and Overall. All together they will give you 60 points. If your video stands out among the others, that means you succeeded on these 3! While the contest is just starting, your video will only strike the judges if it's original. About the sources, I pointed out 5cm per second, because it's so rare at this point to make a unique video with it! That's why I said it's a risk, also because you could expect people to use it a lot on a theme like this. I would never take off points from a good 5cm per second video, especially when it's edited well and it follows the theme. But you can't forget the rest of the criteria will also rely on how original you are, no matter what the source. I don't think it's impossible to make an original video with a overused source, but it's a risk and much harder. With the time given, I don't think that's a wise decision imo :?
Image
User avatar
siny
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Location: Portugal

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Ileia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Pwolf wrote:Trains
User avatar
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer
 
Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Status: ....to completion

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby LopezAMV » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Section 4 : Judging

Each video will be judged based upon the following criteria:

Concept: 20 Points
Visual/Audio: 20 Points
Sync/Editing: 20 Points
Theme Challenge: 20 Points
Overall: 20 Points

I certainly hope that all the judges are adhering to the rules that code gave you and making sure all videos are judged fairly under those guidelines.

I've always felt that Sync/Editing should be worth 30 points and not 20, just a thought. :book:
I realize that that would push the overall score to 110, an easy fix would be to drop Visual/Audio down to 10 points. Or 25 Sync/Editing and 15 Visual/Audio.
User avatar
LopezAMV
 
Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Status: ._.

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Kitsuner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:51 pm

LopezAMV wrote:I've always felt that Sync/Editing should be worth 30 points and not 20, just a thought. :book:
I realize that that would push the overall score to 110, an easy fix would be to drop Visual/Audio down to 10 points. Or 25 Sync/Editing and 15 Visual/Audio.

10 Visual & 5 Audio sounds reasonable to me, since you'd have to fuck up pretty bad to not get full marks on Audio.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
User avatar
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Top Breeder

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Kimberly » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Pwolf wrote:Not to try and say what you are saying is wrong or unwarranted.. people, please try to do something different... but, all things considered, what anime you use or originality shouldn't be a factor in judging considering the judging rules have already been laid out, none of which mention originality or overused source:

Section 4 : Judging

Each video will be judged based upon the following criteria:

Concept: 20 Points
Visual/Audio: 20 Points
Sync/Editing: 20 Points
Theme Challenge: 20 Points
Overall: 20 Points

Concept: If the video has a point to it. Is it 3 minutes of footage slapped onto a song, or is there a purpose behind the editing? While it doesn't necessarily have to have a story, it should still have a purpose/theme behind it.

Visual/Audio: Technical aspect of the video. 10 points for visual and 10 points for audio. Is the footage as clean as it can be? Is the audio as script and clear as can be? Please be sure to take note that older sources will not be penalized for being an old source.

Sync/Editing: How well the video was edited/synced to the music. Does the video and music work well together? Did the editor actually edit the video?

Theme Challenge: How well the video addressed the theme challenge. Does the video attempt to take the challenge into account, or is it just a video for the sake of being a video?

Overall: How the video comes together as a whole. Does the editing/sync, the theme challenge, the technical qualities and the concept meld together well?


I know I'm not making it to the next round as I didn't have enough time to edit my video thoroughly but I certainly hope that all the judges are adhering to the rules that code gave you and making sure all videos are judged fairly under those guidelines.


Well I actually considered originality to be part of concept. There's the question of if the video has a concept, but then I also thought about if the concept is just something that's been done over and over.

Now if I should've just judged it based only on if there's a concept, then ill wait on code to say something and ill change my scores on that area.
ImageImage
User avatar
Kimberly
Kardashian
 
Joined: 18 Sep 2004

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby LopezAMV » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Kitsuner wrote:
LopezAMV wrote:I've always felt that Sync/Editing should be worth 30 points and not 20, just a thought. :book:
I realize that that would push the overall score to 110, an easy fix would be to drop Visual/Audio down to 10 points. Or 25 Sync/Editing and 15 Visual/Audio.

10 Visual & 5 Audio sounds reasonable to me, since you'd have to fuck up pretty bad to not get full marks on Audio.

The way I see it, the 20 points for Visual/Audio only come into play during the first two rounds. In the later rounds, after the less experienced editors are eliminated, these become freebies. It's like you said, an editor would have to fuck up pretty damn bad to lose a significant number of points..so why not place them in a category that could actually boost/hinder most submissions?
User avatar
LopezAMV
 
Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Status: ._.

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby meleechampion » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 pm

SilverFreedoms wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:For the record (and because I'm sure it will be asked), the judges have until 11:59 PM CST tonight to get in their scores. I'll tally the scores tomorrow morning and release the second round as well as the round 1 results at the same time. So no need to stay up late tonight, official scores/stuff won't be up until tomorrow morning my time.


Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/chincci/table_flip_flipping_rage_face_meme_poster-r178e62e5ca3545aea21aab9c814d5d41_jih_328.jpg

So much this.

Also, don't text and drive kids.
User avatar
meleechampion
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Status: Since when did we get statuses?

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Postby Ileia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 pm

meleechampion wrote:Also, don't text and drive kids.


:nono:
User avatar
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer
 
Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Status: ....to completion

PreviousNext

Return to Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest