P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: P.O.E Season 3 : Round 1 - "The King of Spring"

Post by Pwolf » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Kimberly wrote: Well I actually considered originality to be part of concept. There's the question of if the video has a concept, but then I also thought about if the concept is just something that's been done over and over.
Originality, at least to me, is a very personal thing. Its completely based on perspective. Video quality, editing, concept and adherence to theme are all measurable traits are relatively universal between anyone whos ever edited. The only differences between judges would be their level of comprehension of each trait and their experiences. What i consider original and new will be different to your views. IMHO stuff like that shouldnt be a factor when judging. As a judge, I often give videos i dont like higher scores because the standards say i have to. My personal bias about source shouldnt factor into anything unless i am directed to by the coordinator... in which case i probably wouldn't judge.

Thats me though so if code has no problem, by all means. I just want a fair contest, wither or not ill make it past the current round. My personal opinion is that taking originality into account isn't fair. My only exception would to be use it only if you have two videos that are equally scored in all categories. This rarely happens.

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Kimberly wrote: Well I actually considered originality to be part of concept. There's the question of if the video has a concept, but then I also thought about if the concept is just something that's been done over and over.
Originality, at least to me, is a very personal thing. Its completely based on perspective. Video quality, editing, concept and adherence to theme are all measurable traits are relatively universal between anyone whos ever edited. The only differences between judges would be their level of comprehension of each trait and their experiences. What i consider original and new will be different to your views. IMHO stuff like that shouldnt be a factor when judging. As a judge, I often give videos i dont like higher scores because the standards say i have to. My personal bias about source shouldnt factor into anything unless i am directed to by the coordinator... in which case i probably wouldn't judge.

Thats me though so if code has no problem, by all means. I just want a fair contest, wither or not ill make it past the current round. My personal opinion is that taking originality into account isn't fair. My only exception would to be use it only if you have two videos that are equally scored in all categories. This rarely happens.
Fair enough. I'll update my scores when I get home :p
ImageImage

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Quick, everybody haggle with the judges to improve your scores!
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Kitsuner wrote:Quick, everybody haggle with the judges to improve your scores!
i have a bunch of 20's also... :ying:

Kimberly
Org Profile

Post by Kimberly » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Kitsuner wrote:Quick, everybody haggle with the judges to improve your scores!
i have a bunch of 20's also... :ying:
Sorry I only accept 100s
ImageImage

RAWdangers
Org Profile

Post by RAWdangers » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm

I say we stop getting on the judges case and telling them how to judge before even one round of judging. No matter what every judge is going to judge slightly differently and its not up to the competitors to decide how they should judge. The judges aren't judging to please the competitors. If after some round of judging there is a serious judging issue, then take that to Code and its up to him to decide whether or not a judge is being unfair. Seriously, lets at least wait for the results before we go after the judges with our pitchforks and torches.

Now to address my own opinion on the idea of originality and what Siny said. She was giving advice on how to stand out in a more positive way in this competition. Being original is a great way to stand out and get yourself more points if that's what you're aiming for. If i were judging and I was down to the last spot to make it through to the next round and had two videos with equal editing, quality of footage, etc. both addressed the theme well enough and and i thought they could both deserve to make it through to the next round but I would have to eliminate one of them, i would find it easier to justify sending the one that was more original than the one that used the same anime, the same type of song, had the same tone and was pretty much the same concept wise as 20 other videos in the round, to the next round. Again, this is just my own opinion, and another judge might not do it this way. But when it comes down to it, as a competitor you want to differentiate yourself from your competition; whether it be through sheer better quality of editing or an amazing concept. That is what it means to compete.

But as I said, just let the judges judge.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:17 pm

RAWdangers wrote:I say we stop getting on the judges case and telling them how to judge before even one round of judging. No matter what every judge is going to judge slightly differently and its not up to the competitors to decide how they should judge. The judges aren't judging to please the competitors. If after some round of judging there is a serious judging issue, then take that to Code and its up to him to decide whether or not a judge is being unfair. Seriously, lets at least wait for the results before we go after the judges with our pitchforks and torches.

Now to address my own opinion on the idea of originality and what Siny said. She was giving advice on how to stand out in a more positive way in this competition. Being original is a great way to stand out and get yourself more points if that's what you're aiming for. If i were judging and I was down to the last spot to make it through to the next round and had two videos with equal editing, quality of footage, etc. both addressed the theme well enough and and i thought they could both deserve to make it through to the next round but I would have to eliminate one of them, i would find it easier to justify sending the one that was more original than the one that used the same anime, the same type of song, had the same tone and was pretty much the same concept wise as 20 other videos in the round, to the next round. Again, this is just my own opinion, and another judge might not do it this way. But when it comes down to it, as a competitor you want to differentiate yourself from your competition; whether it be through sheer better quality of editing or an amazing concept. That is what it means to compete.

But as I said, just let the judges judge.
Dammit, Tommy, stop judging people for judging the judges!
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:18 pm

My judging is biased still

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 pm

RAWdangers wrote:judge
16 times, by (not) my count

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 pm

meleechampion wrote:(not) my count
Pictured:

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 3: The King of Spring”