The "I Just Don't Know What Went Wrong!" Thread

Re: The "I Just Don't Know What Went Wrong!" Thread

Postby [madaraxD] » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 am

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:
diegao94 wrote:
Animated wrote:But can't there be an exception to this rule? I mean, this video is about to win more than 2 awards... it would be a shame to be DQ'd for no particular reason.

x2

x3

x4
[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis

Postby lolligerjoj » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 am

I'd not vote for an exception, this would feel rather inconsequential. I do agree to ditch the rule completely, though.
lolligerjoj

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 am

As I understand it, the database is and has always been a very difficult place to keep clean, and rules like this are intended to be the stick to ensure people do their part to "keep their room clean" as it were, because concepts like personal responsibility are not universally recognized.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 am

kireblue wrote:
LantisEscudo wrote:
Taite wrote:Not to jump in out of place or anything, I haven't even seen Affective Schoolgirls, but one of the rules of the VCA's is that you can't have a non-anime video in the database, or you're DQ'd from ever being allowed to participate? I'm sorry, but why is this a rule? I don't quite understand how that is at all relevant. I don't believe in exceptions, but I also don't believe in ridiculous rules. Correct me if I interpreted it wrong though, perhaps I misread.

The rule is that if you have non-anime videos in your profile, you're DQed until you have the video(s) in question deleted. The deadline to have that taken care of to participate this year was February 22nd. That's pretty clearly spelled out on the Eligibility Page.

......how about we just not allow non anime videos to be added to the database in the first place? Why do we allow them to be added if we are just gonna penalize the editor for it later?

Because otherwise people start throwing random titles in the description just to be able to upload it and it becomes a way bigger mess than it already is. With the constant stream of uploaded videos we currently have no way to check them all for content, AFAIK.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view

Postby LantisEscudo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am

kireblue wrote:
LantisEscudo wrote:
Taite wrote:Not to jump in out of place or anything, I haven't even seen Affective Schoolgirls, but one of the rules of the VCA's is that you can't have a non-anime video in the database, or you're DQ'd from ever being allowed to participate? I'm sorry, but why is this a rule? I don't quite understand how that is at all relevant. I don't believe in exceptions, but I also don't believe in ridiculous rules. Correct me if I interpreted it wrong though, perhaps I misread.

The rule is that if you have non-anime videos in your profile, you're DQed until you have the video(s) in question deleted. The deadline to have that taken care of to participate this year was February 22nd. That's pretty clearly spelled out on the Eligibility Page.

......how about we just not allow non anime videos to be added to the database in the first place? Why do we allow them to be added if we are just gonna penalize the editor for it later?

We already don't. It's the first "Do Not" on the Enter New Video page.
LantisEscudo

Postby Rendakor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 pm

If it's not allowed, and you guys can detect it (so as to DQ someone for VCAs), then how does it actually happen? It seems like whatever process is being used to DQ people should have been used to stop them from adding the video in the first place.

However, I don't think any exceptions to the rule should be made; the eligibility page made it very clear, and allowing exceptions sets a bad precedent.
Image Image
Rendakor
Falling Like A Star

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Rendakor wrote:If it's not allowed, and you guys can detect it (so as to DQ someone for VCAs), then how does it actually happen? It seems like whatever process is being used to DQ people should have been used to stop them from adding the video in the first place.

However, I don't think any exceptions to the rule should be made; the eligibility page made it very clear, and allowing exceptions sets a bad precedent.

The problem isn't a technical one, it's a behavioral one - see nya_chan's post.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Rendakor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm

So, if you upload a non-anime video but lie and say it has anime in it, you're fine. But if you're honest in stating that your video has no anime in it, you're DQ'd from the VCAs. However, actually checking the videos to verify their sources is (understandably) too time consuming, so we're stuck with the current system which at least (theoretically) gets everyone to delete their non-anime videos once a year before the VCAs start so they're eligible (or after the VCAs start so they can beg for an exception).
Image Image
Rendakor
Falling Like A Star

Postby MycathatesyouAMV » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 pm

So are we actually going to fix this ? Or just let the dumb rule stand and not let a video that very likely will win some awards not ?
Talk to me on skypes and stuffs: Mycathatesyou0000
MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget

Postby Radical_Yue » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 pm

It's being discussed among the administration.
ImageImage
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby l33tmeatwad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:31 am

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:So are we actually going to fix this ? Or just let the dumb rule stand and not let a video that very likely will win some awards not ?

While I agree the rule should be changed, there was full warning before the contest and time to fix issues before the contest began. Rules are rules...
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby Radical_Yue » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:So are we actually going to fix this ? Or just let the dumb rule stand and not let a video that very likely will win some awards not ?

While I agree the rule should be changed, there was full warning before the contest and time to fix issues before the contest began. Rules are rules...

We are looking at it from both sides of the argument.

The rule is in place for a reason and a very good one at that. Plus as stated multiple times there were warnings before the contest began.

However, we also have to take into account that the userbase is expanding with a decent amount of editors who don't speak English as their first language. We're also seeing editors move over from Youtube where they're not used to the Org and the way we run things.

We also need to look at this from a system standpoint. Will attempting these changes set the VCAs back even further due to tweaking? Or is it something rather simple that won't add more piles of work on the mountain that already exists for the epic dokidoki?

As I said, this is being discussed in the private administration section of the forum and hopefully we will have a result rather soon. Luckily the nomination round is the longest of all at 2 weeks and you have the ability to nominate as many videos as you along with the ability to go back at any time during that 2 week period to add or remove more videos/editors from your ballot.
ImageImage
Radical_Yue

Postby [madaraxD] » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:31 pm

cariuchiha dont appear in the rookie of the year list.
[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis

Postby [madaraxD] » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 pm

[madaraxD] wrote:cariuchiha dont appear in the rookie of the year list.

Neither in first video, sorry for double post <_<
[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis

Postby Radical_Yue » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

[madaraxD] wrote:
[madaraxD] wrote:cariuchiha dont appear in the rookie of the year list.

Neither in first video, sorry for double post <_<

They're eligible for Rookie but Alive isn't their first video.
ImageImage
Radical_Yue

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards