Best Parody

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Best Parody

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:36 am

Rider4Z wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:@GQ - that's almost a given in this category, though. It's not best video that happens to be a parody, it's best parody. Which is why I suggested people post before & after links, so we all have the proper context to judge for ourselves.
is that how Best Parody (and other best of categories) is defined? "Best Mimic of another video" as opposed to "Best video that falls under Parody definitions" :uhoh:

a crucial difference in definitions if you ask me. also a thought that i think should be stressed upon in the other categories so we don't have the usual sweep winners.
AFAIK that's always been the case - otherwise (aside from the MEP/collab thing where there's a hard restriction in place in the DB), you can vote for any video for any category, and the checkboxes are just guidelines to make sorting easier. If that wasn't the case, and you really were supposed to be voting for the best overall video you could in each category, we'd only be voting for video of the year and just giving it every other award too.

As to the definition of parody; it's the visual equivalent of what "cover" is to music. (sophmoric discussions about it being a catch-all to legally define what we do as fair use notwithstanding)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:@GQ - that's almost a given in this category, though. It's not best video that happens to be a parody, it's best parody. Which is why I suggested people post before & after links, so we all have the proper context to judge for ourselves.
is that how Best Parody (and other best of categories) is defined? "Best Mimic of another video" as opposed to "Best video that falls under Parody definitions" :uhoh:

a crucial difference in definitions if you ask me. also a thought that i think should be stressed upon in the other categories so we don't have the usual sweep winners.

I pray to god that people aren't judging this category like that.

A parody can be a video that takes and original source and copies it shot for shot, but it can also be a video that takes aspects of a certain song, video, show, etc... and creates a new experience. Such an example would be Ponynote. It takes the basic concept of Death note (kid finds magic book, if you write a name in said magic book it does x to the person with their name in it) but then add it's own creative twist to it. There is no original video that it parodies shot for shot, yet it is still a parody. If we were going with the shot for shot idea, the category would be limited to about 5 videos and all of the trailers.

As for the song example, while covers can be classified as parodies, so can songs by Weird Al. He takes the general song (or idea) and turns it into something different. He borrows what makes the song, video, show, etc... notable but turns it into something different by putting his own spin on it. If that doesn't qualify as a parody, I think someone should notify him so he can stop calling himself a parodist.

And the general idea of voting for a video that best suits the category but isn't technically well done makes me incredibly sad. It should be a combination of the two. I'm not going to bypass a fantastic action video with beautiful dynamic, a great story, and sick editing just for a video that is a montage of punching because it technically has "more action".

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:And the general idea of voting for a video that best suits the category but isn't technically well done makes me incredibly sad. It should be a combination of the two. I'm not going to bypass a fantastic action video with beautiful dynamic, a great story, and sick editing just for a video that is a montage of punching because it technically has "more action".
Thankfully, that's just a straw-man, as all the things that'd even be considered are going to be top-tier technically to begin with.

As to the definition of parody - the alternative, more general understanding of it is indistinguishable from our current category of comedy - making the category rather redundant if you want to take that view of it.
| | |

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:And the general idea of voting for a video that best suits the category but isn't technically well done makes me incredibly sad. It should be a combination of the two. I'm not going to bypass a fantastic action video with beautiful dynamic, a great story, and sick editing just for a video that is a montage of punching because it technically has "more action".
Thankfully, that's just a straw-man, as all the things that'd even be considered are going to be top-tier technically to begin with.

As to the definition of parody - the alternative, more general understanding of it is indistinguishable from our current category of comedy - making the category rather redundant if you want to take that view of it.

As long as the video draws certain aspects from the original video then it's a parody. If it's just using a funny song with random dancing or panty shots that have nothing to do with the original source, it's not a parody. It's really not that difficult to tell the difference and besides, this year the category is being sorted to remove the non-parody videos.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:

As long as the video draws certain aspects from the original video then it's a parody. If it's just using a funny song with random dancing or panty shots that have nothing to do with the original source, it's not a parody. It's really not that difficult to tell the difference and besides, this year the category is being sorted to remove the non-parody videos.
You know, what, I was a little restrictive and harsh back there. You do have it right. The "cover" thing just used to be the mythical gold standard of doing it. If you had that, nothing else was going to measure up.
| | |

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:02 pm

i know, i know. it's still well made tho.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
i know, i know. it's still well made tho.
LOL! I wouldn't even self promote that... :dino:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Hikado95
Org Profile

Post by Hikado95 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Return to “2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards”