Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group F & H Results]

This is the main (and archive) forum for The Quickening, hosted by AnimeMusicVideos.Org

Round 1 - Results [Updated with Group F & H Results]

Postby Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Image Image

Videos are ordered from top score to lowest. Congratulations to those moving on to round 2! To those eliminated, keep trying and better luck next time. ;)
Once the org entry has been listed by the editor, I'll link it so the images can be clicked to take you to the video.

Group A
Spoiler :
Winners
------------------------------------------------
TwilightChrono
KuroUnmei
LopezAMV
Evil Environmentalist

Withdrawn
drewaconclusion

Eliminated
dazza1008
MasterZero8

Group B
Spoiler :
Winners
Kairih
meleechampion
Centurione
NxxS

Eliminated
blaksun
Krigen

Group C
Spoiler :
Winners
Copycat_Revolver
HaydenST
GuntherAMVs
Scoob

Eliminated
AMV_4000
ngsilver
Double-Z

Group D
Spoiler :
Winners
-----------------------------------------------
riccardocasu
Kisanzi
lloyd9988
ProjectBarcodeError

Eliminated
xPauChan
SimplicityyAMV
Cecco

Group E
Spoiler :
Winners
Ileia
pacotacoshell
FadingSundown
SatoshiSakura

Eliminated

RAWdangers
flo55
~Darkness~
KnightAMV

Group F

Winners
Chained(E)Studio
Shin-AMV
Mkid
Elerye

Eliminated
Milk or Life!
Davis 51

Group G
Spoiler :
Winners
AnimAe
Siny
Mally
SagexAMV

Eliminated

jd_lord1
Animated
Nelhtarion

Group H

Winners
Bubbles(irriadin)
MimS
xDreww
VivifxAMV

Eliminated
Jade_Eyed_Angel
Kireblue
ImageImage
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Re: Round 1 - Results

Postby Kairih » Thu May 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Congrats guys! :3
Kairih

Postby pacotacoshell » Thu May 10, 2012 3:02 pm

Congrats everyone!
3/4 right with my predictions. xD
pacotacoshell

Postby TwilightChrono » Thu May 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Awesome. I made it. Gratz to the other winners :)
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012
TwilightChrono

Postby RAWdangers » Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I love how it ended up being one person from each pair advancing anyways lol :dino:
RAWdangers

Postby MasterZero8 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

First, sorry that my video was so terrible, it was my first real AMV though, plus I'm working with the worst of the worst video editors here. :(

Now I can take criticism, but I will be honest, this felt more like bullying to me. Especially whoever said that last part, was it really necessary?
I do like to have some good criticism along with the bad, it helps, but I guess thats too much.
Oh well though, I've dealt with enough of this in my lifetime that I know how to handle it by now.

Why was the visual quality so bad? Just because I didn't use 1080p blu-ray footage?

How can I have poor audio editing? I didn't edit any of the audio. :?

Yes sorry on the "lip flap" and the like. It was synced better, but apparently I had to only have 29.97 fps. I guess I was editing in a little bit higher fps, so after I published it and changed the fps it screwed that up.

And I'm sorry but saying I didn't put in enough effort really hurts. :cry: Cause I put in a lot. I spent almost everyday working on it, with a total of at least 30 some hours.
And saying I need to watch more AMVs really hurts too. Cause I have seen 1000's of AMVs and I can tell a good one from a bad one.
Now I'm not saying mine is that great at all, but for my first one, the very limited resources I had, and other factors, I felt it was at least ok.

I appreciate the feedback and yes I will learn from this video, since I learn from my mistakes unlike a lot of other people I know. I would have liked just a little more helpful feedback was all.

Congrats to all the other editors though. And it was a pleasure competing with you, even though it was short, it was fun. :P
MasterZero8

Postby MimS » Thu May 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Well MZ8 (Can I call you MZ8? ^^), you shouldn't be hurt by judges' op, they just make their work without putting any feeling in it. Y'know they'll have so many vids to watch, 8 * 8 + 4 * 4 +.... so many x)
So well, I don't ask you to "forgive" them just to understand them, they do this just to order to rank vids, they don't have anything else to consider.

Yes, their words are clearly hard but don't take it badly and come impress us next time ;)
MimS
Baguette Master

Postby TwilightChrono » Thu May 10, 2012 3:58 pm

MasterZero8 wrote:First, sorry that my video was so terrible, it was my first real AMV though, plus I'm working with the worst of the worst video editors here. :(

Now I can take criticism, but I will be honest, this felt more like bullying to me. Especially whoever said that last part, was it really necessary?
I do like to have some good criticism along with the bad, it helps, but I guess thats too much.
Oh well though, I've dealt with enough of this in my lifetime that I know how to handle it by now.

Why was the visual quality so bad? Just because I didn't use 1080p blu-ray footage?

Yes sorry on the "lip flap" and the like. It was synced better, but apparently I had to only have 29.97 fps. I guess I was editing in a little bit higher fps, so after I published it and changed the fps it screwed that up.

And I'm sorry but saying I didn't put in enough effort really hurts. :cry: Cause I put in a lot. I spent almost everyday working on it, with a total of at least 30 some hours.
And saying I need to watch more AMVs really hurts too. Cause I have seen 1000's of AMVs and I can tell a good one from a bad one.
Now I'm not saying mine is that great at all, but for my first one, the very limited resources I had, and other factors, I felt it was at least ok.

I appreciate the feedback and yes I will learn from this video, since I learn from my mistakes unlike a lot of other people I know. I would have liked just a little more helpful feedback was all.

Congrats to all the other editors though. And it was a pleasure competing with you, even though it was short, it was fun. :P

See, what you have to understand about criticism her eon the org. People don't beat around the bush. you say you want criticism, then they will give you pure unadulterated crit. They aren't gonna pull any punches. Thats why some new editors to the org don't like the org cause they don't like what people have to say. They would rather have the AWESOME AMV MAN that they get all the time on youtube. If you want that, good.

Just saying good crit is the kind that's hard to take. Thats the crit you want. Cause that's the crit that help you get better.

Glad to compete with ya :)
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012
TwilightChrono

Postby Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm

MasterZero8 wrote:First, sorry that my video was so terrible, it was my first real AMV though, plus I'm working with the worst of the worst video editors here. :(

There is no need to apologize, you did your best.

They weren't trying to bully, they were just incredibly honest. Ya see, the judges didn't criticize you like it was your first video. They didn't cut corners and try and nicey-nice it up. You entered a contest with other editors who have been at this for years and are far more experienced because of that. They judged you and treated you just like they would've done to anyone else. While, I agree, it sucks to be told you're the worst, but in all honesty you got feedback that you probably wouldn't have gotten from anyone else because they would've handled you with kid gloves for it being your first video. Use this experience and grow from it.

The primary problem was the compression and aspect ratio. WMV is kinda crappy and it kills beautiful quality footage. So even though you started with some of the shiniest footage you could find, by turning it into WMV, it dulled it and made it far less shiny. Mp4 encoding is a much better option for the future.

As for the aspect ratio, the video should be 848x480 or 1280x720 since it's widescreen. You made it more fullscreen-ish which causes the characters to look stretched and too tall.

This is more due to quality than anything else. Once more, it all boils down to how the video is encoded. It's like taking a delicious cake and instead of putting it on display in a glass container where you can see just how amazing and delicious it looks, you put it in a container that had finger prints and scuffs all over it, so it distorted the awesome.

The fps had nothing to do with it. Lip flap is the characters talking but it's not lip synced. They're just sitting their flapping their gums. It's a distraction. As you get better at editing, you'll learn new tricks to avoid this. If there isn't supposed to be lip sync, you want to make sure that their mouth is closed.

As for the sync, the problem you had was that scenes ran on for too long. If you look at the other videos, they try things like beat sync and internal sync. Notice how their scenes change often and sometimes it looks like the character is moving with the music? That's basically what you want to aim for. If you have a scene that just sits there and runs for too long, it gets kinda boring and looks lazy. This is also something that will come with time as you discover your editing style.

It's not so much that you didn't put the effort in, it's because the long running scenes that it looks like there wasn't enough effort put into it. But this can easily be fixed as you get better.

I don't think they're saying that you don't know a good AMV from a bad one, but sometimes it helps to watch really good AMVs, examine what they do and why they're good, and try to learn from that. Not saying you should copy it scene for scene, but examine them to find out what they do well and try it yourself! :D

It's better than my first video XD

Good luck and keep trying!
ImageImage
Radical_Yue

Postby meleechampion » Thu May 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Ok, I'm in agreement for the most part because random people on the internet can, and will, shit on your videos all day. You gotta have thick skin, but seriously? Real talk? Saying something like "I can't find any redeeming quality in this even if I try" is not criticism. That, my friends, is an insult. I simply expect better from an "org supported contest" because really? That is not constructive. That is not helping, that is hurting. Lines like this have no place in a judge's commentary.

Yeah, I'll throw a fit about one line.
meleechampion

Postby xDreww » Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm

WOW. Who the hell is writing the criticism here? Someone needs to learn how to be a little nice, less bullying and bashing, and more understandable?

"The worst of the bunch without questioning. Random scene selection, no sync to speak of, wrong AR, and bad encoding too. I can't find any redeeming quality in this even if I try."
Effort 3/10 : Clearly not enough, you need to watch more amv's to understand how to improve in editing.
Overall 3.4/10: The result from all my ratings is 3.4/10 and i'll keep it like this, you need to improve to reach higher scores everything comes with practise, keep it up !"

I think you went overboard, it was not necessary. Please think about your words carefully, as well as the editors feelings as you speak. I'm defending masterzero because, me..I don't like to say a video is horrible. Or the worst. Clearly not enough of this and that. I mean Come on! The way I would explain my advice, will be a little less hurtful, and more helpful with little advice. Along with some tips for future projects. Also saying not just one nice thing about an edit? This is one of the things that ticks me off about this website, and people that are shit, when it comes to critique. Bashing isn't right for someone who really enjoys editing and is doing this for fun. All this seriousness, just ruins the fun out of of something enjoyable.

Master zero, don't take it so hard, Some people might be taking this contest a little to seriously. You did just fine. Keep experimenting, practicing, and imagining. If you ever need help with quality, tips or anything, don't be scared to ask.
xDreww

Postby xDreww » Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm

TwilightChrono wrote:
See, what you have to understand about criticism her eon the org. People don't beat around the bush. you say you want criticism, then they will give you pure unadulterated crit. They aren't gonna pull any punches. Thats why some new editors to the org don't like the org cause they don't like what people have to say. They would rather have the AWESOME AMV MAN that they get all the time on youtube. If you want that, good.

Just saying good crit is the kind that's hard to take. Thats the crit you want. Cause that's the crit that help you get better.

Glad to compete with ya :)

How about stop and think on the words you use when you give criticism? You have a point, but theres a borderline.
xDreww

Postby siny » Thu May 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Oh don't feel bad! Come on, it was your first AMV! And you had the guts to enter such a difficult contest!
But yes you do need to watch AMVS, even if you were extremely good, watching AMVS is always important. It's like... hmm visual culture. I'm a designer and that's the first thing they teach you in college: LOOK AROUND WITH YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN! Everything matters, from an outdoor to a simple flyer. And by watching more AMVS you're doing a bunch of things: 1) you can get inspired by other editors 2) you may want to know that particular anime just because you loved that AMV so much 3) you will question yourself "omg how did he/she did that?!" and you will try to do the same. So you see, it's a win for you to watch more AMVs!

Comments can be harsh, yes, but at least people are telling you how and what you can improve. It's way better than leaving you with "oh I didn't like it much" or when "so called friends" tell you "OMG THIS IS AMAZING!" when you actually know it's not. Those kind of comments, bad or good, don't really teach you anything.

You have every tool you need on this website to help you grow as an editor. Not only do you have awesome tutorials, you also have people that will gladly help you and give you feedback on your future comments. I really hope you will stick around, because you will learn a lot around here! Would be awesome if you could keep watching this contest until the end and check the judges feedback for each video. It's also another way of learning! Hey sometimes I even bring my mum to my pc and show her my last video to see her opinion. She hates anime, so she's totally impartial about it. And omg sometimes it's a pain and others it's funny too because she gives the characters I know and adore, weird names. Anyway... if she tells me something is a bit too fast or she totally didn't get it. After the whole video is done, is kinda frustrating, right? And you would expect that your own mother would totally love it (ahah). Things like this make me thing and look at the video again and again. But even random strangers sometimes send me pm's or write comments about my videos. Well, it's amazing how those opinions, good, bad or even harsh, stick with you while you're editing. So don't feel bad about the comments you will get with your first video, I repeat... your first video, just keep them all inside your mind and next time I'm sure it will be better. And even if the next time, you keep getting harsh comments, try again and try and try. But have fun with it! Don't let yourself be down, you had fun with this, right? So that's what it matters! :)

Whoa I wrote a lot, sorry lol

Congrats to the winners and everyone else! <3
siny

Postby MimS » Thu May 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Nah you're the one taking it seriously Dreww

Did judges even know their ops would be made public? ^^"
If not, maybe they would have said it in another way...
And if they did, anyway, it's just their ops, it's up to you to decide if it has meaning or not. Don't be hurt, god, this is only a hobby, who cares if your vids are great and shitty in the end? Seriously, Nostromo was a great editor but who gives a fuck about what he becomes? We won't appreciate you more if you make great vids... we just don't care, vids are vids and they all have their own value, at least, people give them some and they have their way to say stuff.

Also, have u ever judged a contest with as much people Dreww? Believe me, you don't have the time to be sentimental :x

So yeah, MZ8, they were harsh, you can even say they're basterds, assholes, but seriously, don't put too much importance in it, you had fun editing, that's all matters. Now just select what you consider interesting for you in the future in every critic you'll read!
MimS
Baguette Master

Postby Radical_Yue » Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 pm

No, no, no....You're ALL WRONG!

The real problem here is....

Where was the Diebuster video!?

Starry Eyed? Eh? EH? :awesome:
ImageImage
Radical_Yue

Next