JACON 2009 has "The Touch!"

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
UForgotten
Org Profile

Re: JACON 2009 has "The Touch!"

Post by UForgotten » Sat May 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Mine never got shown :(
I will try again for AFO and if I finish my current project in time I'll send both.
Melee, I think I saw you asking if they got your video, did yours actually get shown?

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Haha, yeah, that was me. They showed it... it was the TTGL one with the AR all squished and the Evangelion with the Simon/Genome custom sprite animation at the end. "Credits cut for JACON, dawwww". That one.

Anyway, as always, I was SUPER pleased with the audience turnout.
These were taken at the beginning of the show... they filled up the room and had people standing along the back wall further into the event.
JACON usually has the best AMV audience, out of anywhere I've ever been.

...except I went to my first AWA last year... so that changes that.

I was in on the DS Pictochat peanut gallery and they were all SUPER critical of every single AMV. Most of them deserved it, so even moreso, I am sad yours didn't get shown. That videogame supermove montage one was a waste of everyone's time and got more applause than my video... just because the audience was glad it was finally over with. I'd feel cheated if I were you. I can't believe they greenlighted showing that crap. It wasn't even an AMV. I had to follow it... maybe not directly... and the audience was close to DEAD.

That and fucking Brad Demoss (can go to hell) stealing one out of only four awards and not even showing up. What the hell was that. Best Comedy, MY ASS. I honestly wasn't impressed with any of the winners. Best of the four was the Appleseed video Best Drama/Romance.

The AMV Hell style video by Kuroneko was made of win, I don't care if it's a worn out concept. Shoulda won something, but same creator won Best of Show for... a pointless interlaced Death Note vid made to an unimpressive popular song? Oh well. So what if the award was for the wrong video... still the same guy.

Best Action was just a sequence of magical girl transformations sped up to match the tempo of some mediocre techno... with subtitles.

...and I can complain all day, but in the end, you work with what you can get, which wasn't much. The contest as a whole was lackluster. I'm sure it didn't help that the amv coordinator was also the con chair, and had a million other things to do that were more important than planning/promoting/attending his own contest.

So... all in all, a shameful end for what I once thought was the greatest of all Florida contests. Guess I'll have to search elsewhere... still haven't been to a Metrocon yet. AFO this year looks really promising. I'll try not to let JACON's demise get to me. I am sad that it'll never get a chance to redeem itself for this year.

Unlimited Rice
Org Profile

Post by Unlimited Rice » Sun May 24, 2009 12:25 am

meleechampion wrote:JACON usually has the best AMV audience, out of anywhere I've ever been.
Deng, I've only been to Jacon once(2004) back when it was held at the UCF Student Union. Deng, that was the first AMV contest I been to and it was packed as hell if I remember. Craaaazy dude.

meleechampion wrote:So... all in all, a shameful end for what I once thought was the greatest of all Florida contests. Guess I'll have to search elsewhere... still haven't been to a Metrocon yet. AFO this year looks really promising. I'll try not to let JACON's demise get to me. I am sad that it'll never get a chance to redeem itself for this year.
Metrocon's my home. Oh man, I've been to every single one except for last year when other events I wanted to go to coincided with it. Convention-material-wise, Metrocon has always been the issh whenever I went. Too bad I've kinda lost alot of interest in that kinda stuff... I still want to go for one day for nostalgic sake.

UForgotten
Org Profile

Post by UForgotten » Sun May 24, 2009 11:01 am

meleechampion wrote:Haha, yeah, that was me. They showed it... it was the TTGL one with the AR all squished and the Evangelion with the Simon/Genome custom sprite animation at the end. "Credits cut for JACON, dawwww". That one.
Very spiffy. You should post it on the org in its entirety.
meleechampion wrote: Anyway, as always, I was SUPER pleased with the audience turnout.
JACON usually has the best AMV audience, out of anywhere I've ever been.
That is the most awesome picture of me evar... because I'm sporting evil eyes pointed right at Snackpants. Look closely on the first pic all the way to the left by the speaker for my glowing glasses with yellow demon eyes. Very apropos.
meleechampion wrote: I was in on the DS Pictochat peanut gallery and they were all SUPER critical of every single AMV. Most of them deserved it, so even moreso, I am sad yours didn't get shown. That videogame supermove montage one was a waste of everyone's time and got more applause than my video... just because the audience was glad it was finally over with. I'd feel cheated if I were you. I can't believe they greenlighted showing that crap. It wasn't even an AMV. I had to follow it... maybe not directly... and the audience was close to DEAD.
Seriously. I was pissed more at the winners they chose than the fact they didn't play my video. The claps at the end WERE sympathy/completion claps. Furthermore, I hate video games to music in general, they dont belong in an AMV competition. Those were WAY to fracking long. If someone had sat down to chart the entries, they totally could have maximized and shown AT LEAST 25 videos in 90 minutes. Bottom line is, the judging was WAY out of touch with the tastes of the current audience.
meleechampion wrote:That and fucking Brad Demoss (can go to hell) stealing one out of only four awards and not even showing up. What the hell was that. Best Comedy, MY ASS. I honestly wasn't impressed with any of the winners. Best of the four was the Appleseed video Best Drama/Romance.
They should have reassigned the award, but I guess since they had made plaques it was too late. Lame.
meleechampion wrote: The AMV Hell style video by Kuroneko was made of win, I don't care if it's a worn out concept. Shoulda won something, but same creator won Best of Show for... a pointless interlaced Death Note vid made to an unimpressive popular song? Oh well. So what if the award was for the wrong video... still the same guy.
I couldn't find the same Kuroneko on the org, does he have an alter ego here? It was indeed very win. The audience cheered the most for that one - it killed. I totally agree that the award for comedy should have gone to Kuroneko instead, and best video freed up for someone else. Sounds like we are in agreement on all the outcomes.
meleechampion wrote: ...and I can complain all day, but in the end, you work with what you can get, which wasn't much. The contest as a whole was lackluster. I'm sure it didn't help that the amv coordinator was also the con chair, and had a million other things to do that were more important than planning/promoting/attending his own contest.

So... all in all, a shameful end for what I once thought was the greatest of all Florida contests. Guess I'll have to search elsewhere... still haven't been to a Metrocon yet. AFO this year looks really promising. I'll try not to let JACON's demise get to me. I am sad that it'll never get a chance to redeem itself for this year.
I was so upset after not getting shown I went and asked what the deal was. Wampner was nice enough to apologize for the random format (he couldnt say much more with Snackpants standing right there) but he encouraged me to re-enter it for AFO, because he tries harder to make sure everyone gets a showing. Which is good because dammit some people got all 3 of their videos shown! I did hear them talking and it sounded like Wampner was volunteering for AMV chair at AFO, and wasn't too crazy about it. Maybe we should volunteer to do it instead? :twisted: But then we couldn't submit videos because it would be a conflict of interest. Damn, there goes that idea.

Oh well. No use complaining about it now, other than to say, yeah, that AMV contest was a joke. And AFO will be the next target for redemption.

Unlimited Rice
Org Profile

Post by Unlimited Rice » Sun May 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Wampner's always been running the AFO AMV contests, right? At least for the past 3 years that I've gone.

If AFO needs any AMV judges..

<---- *hinthint* :wink:

Verses
Org Profile

Post by Verses » Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 am

I walked in during the event... Then noticed they were showing a 5 minute long video of these game characters preforming special attacks, then I left.

SaitoXD
Org Profile

Post by SaitoXD » Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 pm

I think the people running the amv contest were like blind or couldnt count cause that video showing a games fight moves with music lasted about 10 mins and im quite sure they had a video length restriction

Stryyder
Org Profile

Post by Stryyder » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Damn, sad I missed Stan, that would have been great.

As to the harsh speak against Brad, hate to be a rules nazi but it simply states you have to have a "membership for Jacon" it does not state you must be in attendance to win. Pretty common for out of state editors to submit to conventions they can't go to. And I'm sure the reason he wasn't able to go is because he lives here in California. But I may be biased because I've met him, he's a good guy.
Anime Expo: Tabletop Game Room Manager 2014-
Anime Expo: Tabletop Game Room staff 2010-2013
Anime California: AMV Staff 2019-
Anime Conji: AMV Staff 2014-2015
Anime Vegas: AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2013

Unlimited Rice
Org Profile

Post by Unlimited Rice » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Stryyder wrote:Damn, sad I missed Stan, that would have been great.

As to the harsh speak against Brad, hate to be a rules nazi but it simply states you have to have a "membership for Jacon" it does not state you must be in attendance to win. Pretty common for out of state editors to submit to conventions they can't go to. And I'm sure the reason he wasn't able to go is because he lives here in California. But I may be biased because I've met him, he's a good guy.
That's sounds really out of the way, spending $45 just to get an AMV into a contest(and not be there), lol. I wonder if they even do check, 'cause I've heard some places have that rule, but they really don't check for pre-registers.

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I guess the real question is... why troll JACON?

Return to “Anime Conventions”