Youmacon 2008 - Bigger, Better, Uncut

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Youmacon 2008 - Bigger, Better, Uncut

Post by ngsilver » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:11 am

http://www.youmacon.com/

This year we have moved venues closer to the heart of Detroit. We'll be in Dearborn Michigan this year at the lovely Hyatt Regency Dearborn from Oct 30 - Nov 2. A much larger and much nicer venue has allowed for much expansion. So much so in fact that the AMV room this year will be taking one of the Grand Ballrooms, a space comparable to our previous year's Main Events room.

Due to the new location we'll have to discuss which of the many restaurants in the area we would be going to for an AMV Creator Dinner. Of course, this will all be discussed closer to the convention, unless people want to start discussing it now.

This year we also have open space in our schedule for those of you who would like to run a panel relating to any facet of fan created video art. At this time we already have a generic AMV panel. If you would like to run one you simply need to fill out the panel submission form found on the website. Compensation will be given to those who help out in proportion to the hours you spend as a panelist.

Also, we do have openings for Staff positions in our AMV Department if any of you would like to help out. More information on how to do that can be found here: http://www.youmacon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So now that the business is out of the way... Anyone else planning on making the trip out this October/November?
ImageImageImageImage

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:04 pm

is that a dedicated AMV room? or where the contest will be?

Vlad

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Dedicated. There should be one or two showings in the main programming room. But yeah, it will be a dedicated AMV/fan created video room. Basically a bit over 4 times the floor size of last year's room.
ImageImageImageImage

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:13 pm

ngsilver wrote:Dedicated. There should be one or two showings in the main programming room. But yeah, it will be a dedicated AMV/fan created video room. Basically a bit over 4 times the floor size of last year's room.
How big (Cap) will it be.. Just wondering :wink:

Vlad

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:How big (Cap) will it be.. Just wondering :wink:

Vlad
I wont really know until I can get a few things worked out with the hotel, which should happen this weekend. Got to calculate the actual dimensions, stage area, seat size, isle size, required row distance and all of that. Though it is looking like according to fire code in that room it will be something over 500.

Of course, last year I was able to pack about 150 people into a room that was only designed for 130, and that was with at least a quarter of the room not being part of the seating area. Not really all that bad of a deal for being the 2nd largest room in the convention.
ImageImageImageImage

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:34 pm

That's awesome! All that for a dedicated amv ROOM! Yea! I got 525 seat capacity for the room I run at AE and it sure is sweet...

Good luck to ya!

Vlad

knight_rhythm
Org Profile

Post by knight_rhythm » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Now I really need to get my AMVs ready for submission for Youmacon...

CrazyLee
Org Profile

Post by CrazyLee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:44 pm

Bumped for relevance.

I shall endevor to be there, although I doubt I will be there on Thursday or Friday. Saturday and Sunday are more likely. I hope to see some of you there.
"KNUCKLEHEADS! Ready your soramimi cake and eat hearty, for TONIGHT WE DINE IN RASPBERRY HELL!!!" - Ninjaman94

CrazyLee
Org Profile

Post by CrazyLee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Geez. Anyone here?

I'd say I'll meet you guys at the con but I wouldn't know how to get in touch with you guys. I guess I could just go to the AMV room and bug ngsilver.

See you guys this weekend? I may be in a Kimura suit.
"KNUCKLEHEADS! Ready your soramimi cake and eat hearty, for TONIGHT WE DINE IN RASPBERRY HELL!!!" - Ninjaman94

Return to “Anime Conventions”