Asian band The Slants to give away admission to conventions

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Simon Young
Org Profile

Asian band The Slants to give away admission to conventions

Post by Simon Young » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Portland, Oregon-based Asian dance-rock outfit The Slants - Simon Young (bass), Aron (vocals), Jen Cho (keyboards), Gaijin (keyboards), AC (drums), and Jonathan (guitar) - have played or are currently scheduled to play at many anime conventions, including Sac-Anime, Anime Oasis, Sakuracon, Anime Expo, MTAC, and more.

To support the anime conventions that are supporting them, the forward-thinking band has created a website to give away free admissions to the conventions to their fans. The website, http://www.theslants.com/contest, will allow fans to win a pair of tickets to the animation convention of their choice as well as have a meet-and-greet with The Slants.

The conventions the band are scheduled to play at, and are thus giving tickets away to, are:

Sac-Anime (Sacramento, CA): Jan. 11-13, 2008
Anime Oasis (Boise, ID): Mar. 13-18, 2008
Sakuracon (Seattle, WA): Mar. 28-30, 2008
Yaoi Jamboree (Phoenix, AZ): Jun 20-22, 2008
Animix (Killeen, TX): Jul. 18-20, 2008
Tokyo in Tulsa (Tulsa, OK): Aug. 1-3, 2008

The Slants are one of the only, if not the only, Asian dance/rock bands in the country. Formed by members of The Stivs, Evening at the Black House, and Son of Rust, they have been exploding with success fueled by anime and Asian-culture obsessed fans - even before a line-up was fully established.

Their debut full-length, the tongue-in-cheek titled "Slanted Eyes, Slanted Hearts", is full of new wave, synth, pop, and danceable rock, all with an Asian flavor. The album has catchy hooks, smooth harmonies, and anthemic choruses - everything that a perfect record should have. And it has been catching the support of a new breed of fans: anime watching, video game playing, manga reading kids who are in love with the band's sound and show presence. The "Slants army" has been coming out in the thousands, with scheduled appearances in the near future for audiences of 12,000 plus. All this for a band who's first show was in June 2007. Talk about an out-of-the-gate success.

(via Alex Steininger at In Music We Trust Publicity and animecons.com)

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:13 pm

Hey, the website doesn't work...

Have a good time in Sacramento while you're here.

Pwolf

Simon Young
Org Profile

Post by Simon Young » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:18 am

Oops, thats because I included a comma in the url. Try this:

http://www.theslants.com/contest

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Simon Young wrote:Oops, thats because I included a comma in the url. Try this:

http://www.theslants.com/contest