Otakon 2002 AMV Creators The Gathering

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Otakon 2002 AMV Creators The Gathering

Post by Scott A Melzer » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:58 pm

Heya!

Okay, I figure that I'll be the one to start this thread again.

Otakon 2002: Where/when/how are us AMV creators and fans gathering? We NEED a place and a time and all that. We need to bring copies of our CDs/tapes to give to other people. We NEED to be really cool and help to put the fun back into this hobby.

Let's forget about who is and isn't in the contest. About who won, about so-and-so doing something underhanded. Who cares? I want to meet cool people, have a good time, and get lots of AMVs from people!

I've got two rooms a few blocks away from the convention center (at the Radisson) but if anyone's got a better idea/place, please let me know!

What will we bring? Food? 'Tech? Drink? Personally, I vote for a no alcohol no smoking party. If not, then I just can't have it in my room.

Ideas, people?

dji
Org Profile

Post by dji » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:39 pm

I say we meet on saturday.. sometime in the afternoon.. near the the doors on the 2nd floor that goes the skywalk (to the hotels and inner harbor).

From there we can work out all of the party info and stuff. That's just my suggestion.
"12 out of 10 crazy bald guys luv my new avatar!"

Senta
Org Profile

Otakon ownz U!

Post by Senta » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:42 pm

We NEED to be really cool and help to put the fun back into this hobby.
Scott, you've obviously missed the entire point of amv contests. I've been reading all the AX posts and it's quite clear that the purpose of amv contests is to see who is better than everyone else and who can win the most awards. It's about bashing other creators who don't measure up and complaining about what a bunch of sellouts the other winners are. Plus, the con just isn't complete without some ErmAc bashing. I'm looking forward to bitching at people who win with DBZ videos since they are easily the lowest of the low. :wink:

Seriously though, I'm still looking forward to Otakon's amv contest and the gatherings that we'll have. And I have faith that Matt and Duane will do an excellent job of creating the contest tape. As far as the gatherings go, I can't provide a location, but I'm more than willing to bring food and drinks. Just need to know what and how much of it.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:53 pm

I was wondering if I should mention this again ^_^. Thanks for taking the intiative Scott.

I am fine with a no smoking or drinking party. I don't smoke and I like to remember how much fun I had ;)

I'll bring a fun video I made hot off the press. It's nothing visually special, it's the Semisonic Orange Road amv I am almost finished with. I only plan on sending it to Sugoicon anyway. It's just an old school anime but I think it's endearing.

And I have not forgot about bringing the iced sugar cookies. I hope no one minds they will be in the shape of christmas trees though :D

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:02 pm

I'll be comming in on Thursday Night and am open most of the weekend. At AX we had quite a few informal meetings and it worked out great...

Vlad

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:53 pm

It looks like this is becoming a trend - and one that I like.

It seems like the cool thing for the scene on the east coast now is to have two parties - the big gathering for everyone (including the underaged) and then those who wish to enjoy the fermented substance of their choice can go off and havea mini party away from everyone else AFTER having fun with the sober peepz.

I don't see it happening at Anime USA tho. Good luck to y'all at Otakon, I want a bigass report posted by someone ASAP after the event. It's gonna be a loooong weekend in the Tyrol.
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:43 am

I'm totally psyched.

I've been hearing nothing but bitching about how awful this or that contest was, and about how arrogant such-and-such creator is. I'm really happy that we've been able to avoid a lot of that on the East Coast. Or maybe I'm just being optimistic. The Katsucon party was way cool. Lots of cool people just talking and hanging out. It's so great to put faces with the names.

With the possible exception of Senta, I think we're all there to have fun! ;p

I'm seriously looking forward to meeting people that I've only heard of, and people that I haven't. I'd really rather look at this hobby as all of us working hard to create something cool for the fans/ourselves than competing with each other. It's SO easy to get bitter. Like Senta. Stop trolling that Love Hina vid, will ya? Sheesh... ;p

I do think that we need a room or something, but the idea of just meeting isn't a bad one. I think that we should make flyers and hang them up on the billboards, too. I know that I'll be at the AMV panel (I'm on it... KAWAII!!!), and the showings of my group's parody. Other than that, I THINK that any time is cool, since I don't know what's going on!

Peace out, everyone. I'm SO looking forward to this!

Bring CDs and tapes (and cookies!)

dji
Org Profile

Post by dji » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:56 am

Just ignore all those selfish obnoxious creators.. who care only about themselves and being famous.. and it will be all good..

I come to these cons to have fun.. and socialize.. and maybe.. just maybe if you're nice.. I will spread a little luv of shaolin kung fu your way. :D
"12 out of 10 crazy bald guys luv my new avatar!"

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:07 pm

Just ignore all those selfish obnoxious creators.. who care only about themselves and being famous.. and it will be all good..

I come to these cons to have fun.. and socialize.. and maybe.. just maybe if you're nice.. I will spread a little luv of shaolin kung fu your way
Just wondering who you are refering to.. I've met a lot of creators and most of them aren't nothing like that. You kind of have to be carefull how you stay that statement.

BTW, anyone for meeting at a resteraunt on Thursday night (around 7:30 PM or so). We did this at AX and it worked out great and was a blast meeting everyone prior to the con!

Vlad

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:08 pm

resteraunt
oops, exuse the spelling error on that...

Vlad

Return to “Anime Conventions”