Ohayocon

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:15 am

jal0021 wrote:I just noticed that my video would have played right after "Ave Maria", and right before Rich's. Bookended by two great videos...

Not sure if that's good or bad. :)
Heck the kids needed something to wake 'em up after watching my video...so there ya go :roll:

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:56 am

earthcurrent wrote:Did anyone manage to catch it though?
I'm wondering how it turned out on the bigscreen.
?? Did you set the forum to ignore my posts? Earlier in this thread I gave your video a nice lil compliment.

People were rightly quiet for the drama videos but the clapping for nearly all of them was the same to me. Drama videos aren't like action or comedy and get the tell tale 'wooos' that let you know the audience has been aptly pleased.

So I'd say both the kurogane and flanders videos were recieved quite well. And journey rules :D

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:25 am

MistyCaldwell wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:Did anyone manage to catch it though?
I'm wondering how it turned out on the bigscreen.
?? Did you set the forum to ignore my posts? Earlier in this thread I gave your video a nice lil compliment.

People were rightly quiet for the drama videos but the clapping for nearly all of them was the same to me. Drama videos aren't like action or comedy and get the tell tale 'wooos' that let you know the audience has been aptly pleased.

So I'd say both the kurogane and flanders videos were recieved quite well. And journey rules :D
What, nah I just see your avatar and ignore the post...heh...
Actually I haven't read everything yet...I'll go prowling and read what you said so I can feel somewhat better about myself...or somethin'

jal0021
Org Profile

Contest Results

Post by jal0021 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:48 am

This was posted to the animeondvd.com forum:

Trailer: (Metro Productions) Pokemon Never Die - various

Drama: (Michael Montanye) Gods and Mortals - Ah My Goddess

Whacked: (cxib) none - Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer

Action/Upbeat: (Ijouhassei Productions) Foreseen Companions - Gasaraki

Humor/Parody: (Indifferent Productions) Everybody's Free (To Watch Anime) - Various
-Jeff Lawson | <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... id=295">My Profile</a>

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:59 am

I knew I didn't have much of a chance. but I'm happy to see that cxib gets a little more recognition.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:07 pm

RichLather wrote:I knew I didn't have much of a chance. but I'm happy to see that cxib gets a little more recognition.
Ditto on cxib. Kind of weak near the end of it, but it's an interesting piece.

Are those contest results verified? The poster at AoD sounded like someone on staff, but he didn't say how the voting was done.

jal0021
Org Profile

Post by jal0021 » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:17 pm

He did seem to be on the staff, but it's probably better to wait for official word from those responsible for the contest itself. I'm curious about how they eventually handled the voting.

Good to see "Foreseen Companions" get some recognition...it's a great video.
-Jeff Lawson | <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... id=295">My Profile</a>

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:51 pm

I'm interested in how they handled the voting as well. I'm kind of disappointed that however many hundred people that were there at the showings apparently weren't able to vote, if it was voted on by the staff, hopefully they were ones who saw the videos at the contest and voted somewhat along the lines of audience reaction. I'm still not that thrilled with the idea of the staff ending up doing the voting on a contest that was supposed to be audience judged, but I can't say I could have come up with a better solution- they had to choose winners somehow.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:07 pm

Ashyukun wrote:I'm interested in how they handled the voting as well. I'm kind of disappointed that however many hundred people that were there at the showings apparently weren't able to vote, if it was voted on by the staff, hopefully they were ones who saw the videos at the contest and voted somewhat along the lines of audience reaction. I'm still not that thrilled with the idea of the staff ending up doing the voting on a contest that was supposed to be audience judged, but I can't say I could have come up with a better solution- they had to choose winners somehow.
Well, one has to wonder about the ethics of it all as well. Most people entered based on the idea that it would be an audience voting as opposed to staff. I'm not overly concerned either way, but the demographics of these groups would be rather different and they would certainly judge on differently from each other. Yet, I agree, we will merely have to wait on the official word on how things went down at the con.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:18 pm

I will say...that in my opinion, the winners don't seem to reflect the audience reactions for at least 3 definite catagories on there. Not that I really care cause I didn't win and didn't even expect to ^_^ I just found out something about last year's Otakon winners that made me really happy so I am immune from felling bad for not winning for a while :D

I think there was more a problem with their overall treatment of the contest and less with the winners. I don't think it was the guy who ran the contest's idea to put open mic night next door so I'll be forgiving. I still thought with all their issues with organization for the panel rooms and punctuality problems, they should know better by this con. It was their 3rd year after all.

It doesn't take much money or effort for me to go though, so I will probably go next year. Meeting people is a high point, especially at a small con *spoiled by Otakon, my first con*

Return to “Anime Conventions”