AWA 8 Compilation CD Set - FREE!

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Red Wolf
Org Profile

AWA 8 Compilation CD Set - FREE!

Post by Red Wolf » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:55 pm

I have finished the AWA Compilation CD set I've been working on for the last couple of months and am starting the process of burning the CDs. I am currently offering AWA attendees on this board the ability to reserve a copy of this CD set in advance. A reservation means I mark a copy with your name and I will hold that copy for you until Sunday afternoon so you don't have to worry about me running out of copies. Your reservation also gives me a good idea of how many CDs I will need to burn.

For details on the CD set and instructions on how to reserve your copy please visit http://homepage.mac.com/red_wolf/awacd.html

This CD set will be be free to anyone at AWA who wants one. All videos on the CD set have the permission of their creators to be use on this CD set. Full credit on all videos have been given to their respective creators.

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:05 pm

I'm afraid the subject could use a little change after this post.

In last 48 hours I have received a great response from people wanting to reserve a copy of this CD set, thank you. Do to that response it has come to my attention that the 75-100 CD sets I had planned to distribute will not meet the demand I am now expecting at AWA. I have talked with the CD set's contributors and we have decided that I will purchased more materials so that we can produce enough CD sets for everyone wanting one, 200 CD sets in total (that's 400 CDs).

Obviously the cost of this project has gone up and while I am getting the new materials needed at cost it isn't nearly as effective as being able to take your time to shop around for good rebates and sales. So myself and the other CD set contributors have agreed that a $1 fee will be charged for each CD set. The money this generates will greatly help to off set my cost however since I am still expecting to take a loss (though a loss I can easily deal with in comparison) the AMV community may rest assured that no one will go home with any kind of profit from this charge or project. A $1 charge seemed best since it makes the CD set still very affordable for impulse buyers, it help greatly with my cost, and I don't have to carry around too much in the way of change (a $0.75 charge would suck for my back).

I am still taking reservations on the CD set. Simply email me with your name and desire to have a copy of the CD set and I'll hold a copy for you until Sunday afternoon. Obviously the $1 fee isn't due until you pick up your CD set.

I am hoping for some support from the AMV community on this decision. It was not made lightly and I am very much aware of public opinion on charging for AMVs. I can only hope the cost is not a problem for anyone and that, given the amount of work I'm about to put into this project (not to mention all the work already done), people understand that I'm not so dumb to waste every evening from here until AWA burning CDs for a few extra bucks.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 400 CDs to burn.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:14 am

The only problem I see with this is that it seems to be a double edged sword. You need to charge to cover the extra demand but the actual act of charging will lower your demand.

It should balance out but I hope you dont end up with a whole load of cds you dont need. The uniqueness of it being a compilation will be the main selling point, I'd imagine.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:34 am

If you do have leftovers, I'll happily pay postage + CD cost

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:36 am

umm, for one copy, that is. not all of them -_-;

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:10 am

I'll need extra copies for the contributors (many of them can't attend AWA, hence their donation of videos) and several people have inquired about getting a copied mail to them since they can't AWA either. So if there are left over copies I do have a good use for them and I am aware of the potential money loss but it will be far less severe than with no charge at all. Besides, not to sound like a capitalist or anything but anyone only interested enough in the CD set to get it for free, not with the $1 fee, probably isn't the audience the creators on the CD set are looking for anyway.

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:43 am

So far things are still looking good. I'm still getting reservation requests and I will take those until Friday (email me at red_wolf@mac.com). Right now 33 people have reserved copies with a total of 200 copies being produced so over 15% of the CD sets have been claimed already. I will be borrowing the high speed burner from work over the weekend...just in case :twisted:

I'm getting (I hope) the last of my supplies today through work. I am still missing 150 out of 400 CD-Rs and the 200 double sided CD sleeves. So I get to burn the last 150 CD-Rs over the next three nights and stuff the 200 sets :?

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:32 pm

Well AWA is over the CD sets were a big hit for both AMV creators and a lot of old and new fans. If you picked up a set, thanks and if you see a video on there you like email the creator, they would really appreciate that (plus then I get another thank you email from them :twisted:).

I know I missed some folks who had reserved copies and there were people interested in getting a copy of the CD set who couldn't attend AWA. Right now I do have some left over copies of the CD sets. Anyone who wants one is welcome to them. Here's how you can get one:

1. Email me at red_wolf@mac.com and I'll give you my address.

2. You'll need to send me a self addressed and stamped envelope for the CD set. The set itself weighs 1.3 oz and the average padded CD mailer weighs around 0.6 oz so the postage for 2 oz or less would be $0.60. If you aren't sure on the weight of your mailer or if you want to be sure you can check the cost at the post office.

3. Since you are having to paying postage I'm not going to ask for the $1 donate to help cover cost I was asking people for at AWA. If you have the desire to toss it in there great but I will not hold anyone to it and your set will get out to you just as quick as anyone else's. At this point I'd rather everyone who wanted a set gets one and I don't want any left overs.

Once I'm out of CD sets I will still make the set available to anyone who sends me two CDs plus the shipping items and with no donations accepted (since I won't have any at that point). Once you email me for my address I will set a CD set aside for you for two weeks so don't send me CDs unless I mention it in your email.

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:02 pm

got my compilation discs right here.. now if only my cd-r drive didn't make so much noise everytime i put one of the AWA discs i would play it =/
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:20 pm

Test the drive with another CD. If the drive only makes noise with those discs then try removing the label on them and see how that works.

Return to “Anime Conventions”