Idea for an all AMV gathering/Convention/Expo

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:43 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:Sounds cool, but it would be absolutely HELL to organize, especially since all the work is being done by slacker AMVers.

Just look at DDR :roll:
The great thing about the DDR is that it filter out the ones who will do all the work! I knew the project was good for something...

Vlad

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:59 pm

Hey Vlad I can help you with the con if you want. After thinking about it it is a really good idea if kept to a minimum. Also, tell me where you want to hold it (as in state) because I have a good many contacts as to places to hold conventions of smaller size (we'd have to keep attendance below teh 2k level in most of the places I know). Based on what you are telling me this shouldn't be a problem. So if you want, when the ball starts to get rolling I can take care of setting us up with a convention center.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:32 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:...(we'd have to keep attendance below teh 2k level in most of the places I know).
:lol:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:45 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:Hey Vlad I can help you with the con if you want. After thinking about it it is a really good idea if kept to a minimum. Also, tell me where you want to hold it (as in state) because I have a good many contacts as to places to hold conventions of smaller size (we'd have to keep attendance below teh 2k level in most of the places I know). Based on what you are telling me this shouldn't be a problem. So if you want, when the ball starts to get rolling I can take care of setting us up with a convention center.
I'll talk to many about it at AWA and we'll see where we're at after that...

Vlad

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:47 am

Hey one thing you might want to try is getting some University or something to sponsor it.

Since when I return to UC Irvine, I will be president of the Cal Animage Epsilon club (currently on hiatus for obvious reasons) I can see if we can work something out.

CAE has always loved AMVs. Shaun Hendricks used to be our tech guy and he would always bring in the good stuff from AX in previous years so it was lotsa fun.

I would like to offer that, if I can get it working, we could perhaps use UC Irvine as a place to hold the big get together? There are several very large lecture halls with big screens rather close to each other (The Engineering Lecture Hall and the Physics Lecture Hall are right across the plaza from each other and they represent two of the four larges lecture halls on campus).

I know Irvine might be fairly far for some people, however there are some big advantages:
1) Hotels aren't that expensive from what I've heard. Irvine isn't exactly LA
2) John Wayne Airport (SLA) is in close proximity to the campus. While it doesn't do international flights or very many long flights, it would be easy to fly to someplace like Oakland, Phoenix, San Jose, and then just take Southwest Airlines to SLA (since Southwest has the biggest presence at SLA).
3) We've got all the equipment. CAE owns a 1024x768 Pioneer LCD Projector and we have our own little portable computer (it's a Shuttle SV25) which can do MPEG2 playback and also playback of any other digital files, as well as DVD of any region. I would be willing to run the technical aspect of the convention/get together.

However holding it at Irvine would have the disadvantage that we are indeed holding it on a University campus. Most likely this would necessitate only having it across 2.5 days - Friday Night, Saturday, and Sunday - and even then it might be difficult to wrangle up the Lecture halls since I would have to petition the university club liasons to let us use the rooms.

Also, I might even be able to get us sponsors if we wanted to have a contest or something. CAE has some contacts with various anime companies and they might be willing to donate prizes and stuff, but that's a very, very big might.

When I return to UCI in a few months I will make inquiries as to whether this is possible, but first I should hear from you guys if this interests you at all. I know Irvine might not be the best place to hold it but it's certainly a nice, quiet place with good weather and some big lecture halls.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:23 pm

Sounds good Justin. IF we look at doing this kind of thin over the Universeity "Summer" months then the rooms should be more flexible anmd free from students... Again, I'll see at AX who is all willing to get in on this idead and take it from there...

Vlad

The Non-Professional
Org Profile

Post by The Non-Professional » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:29 am

ok after the first page i stoped reading but im all for whatever your talking about, oh and can i get a coffe to go :)

The Non-Professional
Org Profile

Post by The Non-Professional » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:27 pm

...damn i killed the thread... [size=24]NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO[/size]

Return to “Anime Conventions”