AKAKON IS NO MORE!

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
NME
Org Profile

AKAKON IS NO MORE!

Post by NME » Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:32 am

Yes, thats right, western Canada's only anime convention is no more! (at least my source says so)

Well it was fun while it lasted, I'm really kicking myself for not going last year though.
From what I heard it was the staff's fault for being such pricks and not organizing very well. But hell, its not like it was a GOOD con, I mean shit, when your First prize in an AMV contest is a free pass ($40 value) to next year's, you know it's not a good con.
Tiny, poorly managed and advertised. Get the guys from VJAS to organize a con (not likely though). They'd make a con worthy of being the only one in western Canada.

Having gone to AKAKON the first year it started up, I'm gonna miss the fact that Vancouver/Western Canada has a con.

C'est la Vie. :( :( :( :(

exscuse me.....

*draws in breath* FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

*birds fly from trees*
*mothers cover their children's ears*
*organ sounds*

"Dear lord, I've never heard such a loud profanity before!"

This Home-made prozack isn't working, I think it needs more ice cream.

Theres always Sakura Con and Anime Evolution!

jbone
Org Profile

Re: AKAKON IS NO MORE!

Post by jbone » Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:58 am

1. This belongs in "AMV Conventions"

NME wrote:I mean shit, when your First prize in an AMV contest is a free pass ($40 value) to next year's, you know it's not a good con.
Many "good" cons offer only congratulations as a prize. Some "bad" cons do offer monetary compensation. You can't go by prizes to determine what's "good" and what's "bad."
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:54 am

Unless it's AX, in which case the prizes can easily equate to the quality of the con. :lol:

NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:54 pm

When I wrote that I was tired and I guess I didn't see the other whatchamacallit, forum. anyway.

NME
Org Profile

Post by NME » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:44 am

ITS NOT FAIR, WHY GOD WHY?!
nil per os

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:37 pm

Yeah, I went to it last year as well...it wasn't all that great con wise...but hanging out and meeting new and old friends was fun ^^

Also I won two awards in t he AMV contest there...noting to be proud of really...but all the othe entrients were rather upset that I won >< I got flamed for winning awards...kinda turned me off contets for a while...I'm over it now ^^;

I think that they do need a good con over there...oh well there is still Anime North..

^^

Also traveling to new cons like AWA this year for me will be fun ^^

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:57 pm

Hakura wrote:Yeah, I went to it last year as well...it wasn't all that great con wise...but hanging out and meeting new and old friends was fun ^^

Also I won two awards in t he AMV contest there...noting to be proud of really...but all the othe entrients were rather upset that I won >< I got flamed for winning awards...kinda turned me off contets for a while...I'm over it now ^^;

I think that they do need a good con over there...oh well there is still Anime North..

^^

Also traveling to new cons like AWA this year for me will be fun ^^
Yes, it's kind of depressing in terms of the whole awards thing. I just try to enter my videos into contests to get more people to see then and hopefully enjoy them as well as get feedback from the audiance and creators (That's one reason I try to go to all the cons I enter to).

I think of large cons like AX and Otakon kind of a great place for instant feedback if I've done something people really do enjoy. AWA on the other hand I think has a great contest where you can get great feedback from fellow creators in person!

In any case winning is not the point, but I guess some feel it is and get upset when you do....

I would love to see a con where ALL us creators get together and watch videos and after each one provide some positive comments and improvements, etc about it! That would be the altimate thing to be able to meet and discuss with fellow creators each others work!! too bad it's quite impossible since we all live all other the country and most of us can't afford to travel to such an event, hence a convention with an AMV contest is the next best thing for now....

Vlad

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:52 am

Nicely said Vlad. I agree with you 100% thats the exact same way I think about things.

I go to cons to see my work and others up on t he big screen and to get reactions. Winning an award is nice and all...but the true satisfaction is just getting feedback and enjoyng my favorite form of art.

When people become upset about not winning or get angry at others that do win....the fun stops there....

Your idea of a con for creators is not impossible. If there can be a con for anime I don't see why something like this could not go through. Would take work, but what in the world doesnt ^^;

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:01 am

Hakura wrote:Nicely said Vlad. I agree with you 100% thats the exact same way I think about things.

I go to cons to see my work and others up on t he big screen and to get reactions. Winning an award is nice and all...but the true satisfaction is just getting feedback and enjoyng my favorite form of art.

When people become upset about not winning or get angry at others that do win....the fun stops there....

Your idea of a con for creators is not impossible. If there can be a con for anime I don't see why something like this could not go through. Would take work, but what in the world doesnt ^^;
Actually my idea is to have a big AMV convention for creators (any anyone else) I know about the logistics and legal stuff, but If it was a two day event more for us socializing (dinner events, forms, pannels, etc) and contests then I think if could work. This would not be something that would have to feature guests since or anything! It's kind of like the events that video editors have... We could also have an hardware exhibition and have someone like Patrick and others on best encoding techniques, etc.

I personally think this would be a blast and would be something all of us. We schedule the get togethers, pannels, etc and learn form one another.

I use to organize and work and lots of conventions for over 10 years so I know this would work... Just a matter of getting enough of us to help organize it and if we all pre-register we can fund the place to have it and all!! Would take a lot of work, but us AMV creator are use to a log of work to begin with!!!

Maybe it's time to bring this idea forward.... I'm willing to help organize it...

Vlad

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:09 am

You know what. that does sould like a good idea ^^ I'd we willing to help ya ^^

I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, so it's not like it would be impossible or expensive to help ya out.

If you are seriosuly going to consider this count me in ^^

Return to “Anime Conventions”