Another A-Kon thread

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:31 pm

A comment on 'Seasons in the Sun'. I can understand why the video was DQed, I've seen the video, it's a good video, does it mock Grave of the Fireflies, no. However is the video twisted and disturbing for those who know what the anime footage comes from, YES. It's a hard video to watch because of the conflict of emotions that one can have, and an audience can see it as being mocking to Grave of the fireflies. You just need one person to start laughing at the video, till you would have an entire audience laughing at it, which I'm rather sure isn't the goal of the video. Anyways, my point is that I can see where a set of judges would not allow the video into their contest. It's a judgement call. (Shrugs)

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:46 pm

anneke wrote:A comment on 'Seasons in the Sun'. I can understand why the video was DQed, I've seen the video, it's a good video, does it mock Grave of the Fireflies, no.
Anneke
It wasnt' DQ'd, it showed at the contest. The comments about it mocking the movie were from a conversation I had with the judges after the contest ended. Some of the audience found thought it was a parody also...weird. :|

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:52 pm

anneke wrote:A comment on 'Seasons in the Sun'. I can understand why the video was DQed, I've seen the video, it's a good video, does it mock Grave of the Fireflies, no. However is the video twisted and disturbing for those who know what the anime footage comes from, YES. It's a hard video to watch because of the conflict of emotions that one can have, and an audience can see it as being mocking to Grave of the fireflies. You just need one person to start laughing at the video, till you would have an entire audience laughing at it, which I'm rather sure isn't the goal of the video. Anyways, my point is that I can see where a set of judges would not allow the video into their contest. It's a judgement call. (Shrugs)

Anneke
I strongly suggest watching Tim/Doki's "Young Forever" (AWA Masters) video. I believe MJ even mentions it in his video description. I like it quite a bit and was shocked to hear that people at AWA thought it was a black comedy and laughed.

If you're wondering...this is where I got my ACen Iron Chef Song from too (when he had me watch it). Thanks again Tim!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

BigDave1310
Org Profile

Post by BigDave1310 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:20 pm

anneke wrote:A comment on 'Seasons in the Sun'. I can understand why the video was DQed, I've seen the video, it's a good video, does it mock Grave of the Fireflies, no. However is the video twisted and disturbing for those who know what the anime footage comes from, YES. It's a hard video to watch because of the conflict of emotions that one can have, and an audience can see it as being mocking to Grave of the fireflies. You just need one person to start laughing at the video, till you would have an entire audience laughing at it, which I'm rather sure isn't the goal of the video. Anyways, my point is that I can see where a set of judges would not allow the video into their contest. It's a judgement call. (Shrugs)

Anneke
It brings everyone down, the video is exactly what it is AWESOME. Totally captures the emotion of the movie. If congoers aren't smart enough to understand the AMV then fuck-em. As someone that enjoys watching good AMV's this is high on my list.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:24 pm

Um... I totally remember seeing Seasons of the Sun in the contest. :shock:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:54 pm

Well sounds like it got showed. (shrugs) I don't really care either way.

Just was stating how I could see how it could have been DQed. Someone else mentioned it was. Sorry for going off incorrect information.

As for an AMV audience...(shakes head), their intellegence as a general mob is not the best.

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:08 pm

A-Kon can eat my ass with a salad fork.

If I had gone for the con alone, I would have shot myself.

The only solace I had were the two dealers rooms, watching Hitori get his shirt signed by every artist in artists alley (roughly 107 signatures), and watching MJ win the hentai fest. Sorry Carlos, I _technically_ wasn't there to see you win your awards, because you guys left me sleeping in the hotel room... tons of con gold doc footage on hitori's part though. Good job dude.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

Jace Tsunami
Org Profile

Post by Jace Tsunami » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:28 pm

ah, you were there too?
snap

we shoulda organized this thing better, so we ould have all met. Hmm, well, I think I may go to anime fest
http://www.punkaddict.com

myspace.com/punkaddict

MAS PRODUCTIONS
Org Profile

Post by MAS PRODUCTIONS » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:31 pm

Like I said before, Akon was pretty cool but there were things that could be changed. The thing I hate the most is that I wasn't able to meet everyone. Hopefully some of you will go to Anime Fest, so I can meet and hang out more.
"What about us lesbians? . . . Your gonna burn in hell of course!" - MXC
"Hey dont knock masturbation, its sex with someone I love!" -- Woody Allen
"Evil will always triumph 'cuz good is dumb!" - Dark Helmet

Return to “Anime Conventions”