Anime Expo 2014 Dinner

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2014 Dinner

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:29 pm

XStylus wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:The contest starts with a BSOD. :uhoh:
I was seriously thinking about that one year...
If it really happens, we'll be ready to call 911 for you. :dino:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:32 am

My attendance depends on Troy and Vlad and how early I have to wake up the next morning.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 am

Pwolf wrote:My attendance depends on Troy and Vlad and how early I have to wake up the next morning.
Well, let's see... last year on day zero I was in bed at 2am and up at 7am... and I think that was the only day I slept.

j/k
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:42 pm

XStylus wrote:
Pwolf wrote:My attendance depends on Troy and Vlad and how early I have to wake up the next morning.
Well, let's see... last year on day zero I was in bed at 2am and up at 7am... and I think that was the only day I slept.

j/k
NOT TURE... I saw you doze off several times!

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Double checked/confirmed our reservation at ZenCu last night. :up:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:09 pm

I wonder if Solomon knows how to use chopsticks now. :beer:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Das Nickus will be attending as well.
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:11 pm

unfortunately I don't think I will be able to make it. My friends and I need to pick up from friend from the Burbank airport and depedning on the time I don't think I'll make the dinner. But everyone have fun either way! ^_^

LC_Lapen
Org Profile

Post by LC_Lapen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:29 pm

I was floating this idea around with Victoria, now I want to see what you all think when I ask:

Who's up for an MP3 potluck?

...what's that? You have no idea what the hell that is? Well, one of my common dilemmas as an AMV editor (and I'm sure some of you out there feel the same) is that I have much much more anime in my library than I have music. For real, there's just an overwhelming selection of music out there, and while you can get the gist of an anime with a synopsis or even a few screenshots, song titles and art can be very misleading, forcing you to sample and search for ludicrous amounts of time. Most of my favorite songs I either stumbled upon by accident or received by swapping with my sister. And even fewer still are the ones that inspire a connection with an anime I watch.

SO. To broaden ones own musical horizons and simultaneously share out your personal favorites, I've put forth this idea for a MP3 Potluck. Much like how each guest brings a dish for a food potluck, any participant would have to bring a USB Stick (big enough to house a couple of gigs at least) containing a folder with MP3s (or WAV or FLAC, whatever) hand-picked and personally selected off of their own computer. As they arrive to the dinner, each USB stick gets inserted into a singular computer, and all of the individual folders are dumped into one massive folder holding everyone's music. Then, once a guest feels like they're getting close to leaving, they insert their now cleared USB stick again and copy the Master folder onto it, receiving a plethora of new music from their fellow editors. Much better than having your jock cousins bombard you with same-soundy dubstep, I say.

Now if we do this, I feel like I should set a few ground rules so as not to create any discord:

-The most important rule: LABEL YOUR SONG FILES AND CORRECTLY. The purpose of sharing music to help inspire AMVs, or even as a courtesy in general, gets thrown right out the window if we don't know what the feck is playing. At bare minimum, make sure every file has a song title and an artist on it, even if it's just the file name. Also, we need to know the correct info for each in case we need to use them and credit them in a video, so please let us know for sure that the AC/DC song we just listened to wasn't called "Unmentionable Acts at a Reasonable Price".
-Plan your upload/download time accordingly: know that the more music gets put into the pot, the longer it's going to take to get back onto your stick. So if you know for sure that you have to leave at 8:00, don't plug it in at 7:58 and be dumbfounded when it isn't done in time.
-Be organized to an extent: No one likes walls of text unless they're bookworms building a fortress, and one gigantic list of music isn't to pretty either. If you take the time before the dinner to group your music into sub-folders by genre, artist, album, soundtrack, or whatever, it saves all involved a big hassle later when were picking through them like trick-or-treaters diving in for the good stuff. By the way, if you don't want people to know it was your selection of music, naming your folder anonymous is fine too. We just won't know who to thank for our new favorite song.
-Keep it Music related: This is a potluck and not a garage sale, so we don't want private photo collections or your top 10 memecat videos. Including official music videos and album art is 100% ok, we just don't want to be wasteful with our space.
-NO VIRUSES FOR CHRISSAKES. It's 2014, you should have something to scrub your stick clean with before you go sticking it in some innocent slot. We'll make sure our computer is spick and span before we start this thing, and God willing, it will leave in the same condition.

Well,... that's my pitch. Anybody on board?
*Sig Under Construction*

Dvl-Jigen
Org Profile

Post by Dvl-Jigen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:36 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea.
Retired AMV editor/NOT retired AMV Coordinator

Anime California 2015, 2016, 2018 AMV/CMV Coordinator
Hanadoki Con 2016, 2017 AMV Coordinator
Anime Conji 2018 AMV Coordinator
Hentai Con 2018 Assistant HMV Coordinator

Digital Video Lazyness. Yeah, that sounds about right