AWA 2013 Roast!!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime conventions, and for the exchanging of rides to, and rooms at, conventions.

Re: AWA 2013 Roast!!

Postby ZephyrStar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:52 am

I think Maboroshi's idea is great. Each year the rosters could do like a "roast mep" type of thing. That would allow for showcasing of the editor's videos + the bastardizing and making fun of. The cool thing too is that all the work put into it would be solidified, if you're going to spend months prepping for the event, might as well have a really awesome video to show from it by the end? Maybe there would be a live component too, but it could be condensed.

The cash bar was a plus, but I don't know about the costs involved there.
ZephyrStar
Master of Science

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 am

Having something live in some way beats just watching a video as that is something one can do anytime and there is no audience interaction. I think it also depends on who is doing the roasting as some people can play off the audience much better.

In general, I think the live roast works provided the creators doing the roast come prepped and can play off the audience

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Lord Rae » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 am

I enjoyed the Roast and the idea of having something on Thursday is great. Now that Joe mentions it I think since we are all editors that editing a roast with video, gifs and pop in translations from Kit could be amazing. It's certainly in our wheelhouse whereas comedy and public speaking probably isn't. Definitely have the roastee view it along with everyone else so it would be "live to tape" in a way. You could also get crazy with it and go green screen for some added production value if you did it taped.

But overall I really enjoyed it. Live or whatever I would definitely come to one again.
Lord Rae

Postby Koopiskeva » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:28 am

It was cool to be roasted, so thank you for that opportunity! o: I like Kit's idea of having Zarx for next year if he can make it.
Hi.
Koopiskeva
|:

Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.

Postby XStylus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am

RadicalYue needs to get her flamer ass roasted. :twisted:

(Plus it gives her an excuse to return to AWA next year.)
Sakura Con 2014 - AMV Assistant Coordinator
Anime Expo 2014 - AMV Events Manager

"No margin for error." -Pwolf
"Darkness... is... coming." BZZZT!!! [Crowd ROFLs] -Yuusharo's vid as the power went out.
"Lol! Okay, some margin for error." -Pwolf
XStylus

Postby MaboroshiStudio » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:In general, I think the live roast works provided the creators doing the roast come prepped and can play off the audience

I agree live is the best... but I am thinking reality and what will give the best product. Being prepped for a live presentation and play off the audience... very tricky and I thought everyone did a good job, but a lot of people were bored I guess.

I think this way a roaster can record a bunch of jokes and stuff where there is no pressure. Send all the footage to the MC who would be responsible for putting the final presentation together where he or she can add extra things to it. Just throwing ideas out on how to make the roast funny for everyone even people who don't know the person being roasted and or the roasters...
MaboroshiStudio

Postby mexicanjunior » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I loved the roast and think Zarx would be a great choice. I think a combination of a roast mep video and live jokes would be the best combo (like this year).
mexicanjunior

Postby SailorDeath » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:05 pm

mexicanjunior wrote:I loved the roast and think Zarx would be a great choice. I think a combination of a roast mep video and live jokes would be the best combo (like this year).

AWA 2014 HENTAI ROAST OF MEXICAN JUNIOR WITH YOUR HOST TOOTHPICK "NOT MEXICAN JUNIOR" VIC!
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....
SailorDeath

Postby Shin-AMV » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:21 pm

I don't really have a perspective on the Roast from just a viewer perspective since I've been involved in all the roasts I've been to so far, but one thing I've always appreciated about the Roasts is that for whoever is getting roasted the Roasters are a cross section of people who represent different groups which helps to generate or keep interest for editors who may or may not know someone. For whoever gets roasted in the future I think it'd be good to keep that aspect, while a roast is supposed to be circle jerky with a lot of in-jokes it needs to steer away from it being just a day in the life of a group of friends being displayed on stage, its good to try to make it as inclusive as possible so everyone feels involved or recognized to some degree even if its just a small name drop.

I tried to work in as many people as possible, especially for people that I knew that where going to be there and even for a few I knew wouldn't be there. There are some people I wanted to include in a joke or two but I ended up cutting a bunch of stuff because it didn't have a good place to fit. Also some people are hard to write decent jokes for without feeling so generically vague.

But I just wanna say, I love the Roast and the idea of it. Its one of the few things I think that really brings us together as a community to just poke fun at ourselves collectively.
Shin-AMV

Postby Castor Troy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Let's make sure Zarx can actually make it next year.

But I agree he's a great choice and tons of material can be used for him. :twisted:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby mexicanjunior » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:51 pm

SailorDeath wrote:
mexicanjunior wrote:I loved the roast and think Zarx would be a great choice. I think a combination of a roast mep video and live jokes would be the best combo (like this year).

AWA 2014 HENTAI ROAST OF MEXICAN JUNIOR WITH YOUR HOST TOOTHPICK "NOT MEXICAN JUNIOR" VIC!

I would be honored.... :up:
mexicanjunior

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:40 pm

mexicanjunior wrote:
SailorDeath wrote:

I would be honored.... :up:

All your stuff is too old so it would be hard to keep the jokes up to date :P :P :P :P :P :P

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Mr Pilkington » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:32 am

All this feedback is awesome. Thanks guys! I'd love to get Alan booked for next year, he and Brian are some of the people I miss at AWA too. Keep this coming, it will only help us make the event that much better next time. :up:

Sean and I have some more ideas for next year and really want to get people involved in this, so we really appreciate everyone's input and enthusiasm.
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina
Mr Pilkington

Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!

Postby The Wired Knight » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Will post my feedback when I get home tonight
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Previous

Return to Anime Conventions