AWA Atlanta 2011 VAT - Programming Discusssion

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

AWA Atlanta 2011 VAT - Programming Discusssion

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi All,

Firstly, just to let everyone know, this year I'm in charge of programming / scheduling for AWA's VAT (Video Art Track) room (yes indeed! :D ). Even though it's early and almost a year away, I want to get start started on discussion and suggestions for programming for the VAT next year. NOTE that this does not include the contests and that will be announced and discussed separately.

For those who many not be aware or never been to AWA, the VAT is the oldest dedicated convention programming track to Video Arts such as AMV's. Even thought we have a focus on Anime Music Videos, as a Video Arts track we recognize the diversity of fan made videos and are open to programming that fits into the rooms criteria. This includes anything else fan produced such as parodies, Original Animation Videos (OVA), live action music videos, etc so ideas are not just restricted to AMVs alone.

This year we plan to introduce a lot of new elements as well as bring back older and current favorites. The focus of the room will be to be more dynamic with live hosting and an overall uniform feel to all the variety of programming we do. Some of the potential ideas that have been discussed (and thus a point to get the discussion started) are:

- Early Morning Hosted Video (AMVs, MV, Parodies, etc) themed marathons
- Creator Spotlights
- Panels focusing on evolution of AMVs to professional Editing, etc
- Original Animation Videos and Live actions Music Video panels or related programming

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or proposals for programming, let me know. I would like to hear from everyone both old and new! You can PM me or feel free to discuss here. This year we are going to make AWA’s VAT the best ever!

Vlad G Pohnert
AWA 2011 VAT - Programming
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: AWA Atlanta 2011 VAT - Programming Discusssion

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:12 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:- Panels focusing on evolution of AMVs to professional Editing, etc
If I decide to come in the future, I wouldn't mind helping out with this, but if I can't come, you always got Lord Rae and several others.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Would fandubs fit under the general purview of the VAT?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:44 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Would fandubs fit under the general purview of the VAT?
I would assume you mean parodies that fans dub to anime (on the lines of say " Evangelion: ReDeath". If so, then that could fit into the VAT scope depending on what it is exacly.

Vlad

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Would fandubs fit under the general purview of the VAT?
I would assume you mean parodies that fans dub to anime (on the lines of say " Evangelion: ReDeath". If so, then that could fit into the VAT scope depending on what it is exacly.
Oh good. Scott Melzer's got a new one that should be done in time for the summer*; I know he doesn't usually make AWA, but I've been working with him enough on it that I'm sure he wouldn't mind me bringing it to show.

* No, seriously. A rough version with the complete plot in place was shown at Bakuretsucon.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Scintilla wrote:Oh good. Scott Melzer's got a new one that should be done in time for the summer*; I know he doesn't usually make AWA, but I've been working with him enough on it that I'm sure he wouldn't mind me bringing it to show.
Yes, I'm sure we could accomidate something like that... I've seen Scott's work and know him from the good old days... Keep me in the loop with that

Vlad

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:07 pm

As a fellow VAT staffer, I'm excited that you're going to be planning the schedule (as it were) for the VAT room. Your panels and events have brought some good times every year in the VAT.

The past 3 years, GloryQuestor and I have helped run the morning request/free-form blocks that run from 7 to 10/11-ish in the mornings. This year, we had to incorporate some Expo showings with the morning blocks because of the sheer number of entries we got. I prefer that we still keep the freeform/request blocks in the early morning, if only to show videos that haven't been played in a while, or that others should know about. Also, depending on how many entries we get next year for Expo, I'd prefer that Expo showings have their own timeslot as opposed to sharing the early morning blocks, so that we don't get complaints from editors who missed out on seeing their video because it was shown in the morning already. (That's not to say that I don't want current-year Expo entries shown during the morning blocks; if an editor shows up during such block and asks us to show their entry, of course we'll queue it up for them.)

I also liked Greggo's work with Knockout and Iron Editor this year - I'm hoping we get to invite him again next year. Maybe we could brainstorm with him to come up with another game show idea that incorporates AMVs.

I'm sure I'll come up with other ideas down the line. We've got a long ways to go until the end of next September. Look forward to working with you again in the VAT!
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 pm

With Expo it's always difficult due to the sheer number of entries. I'm going to reviewing all aspects of programming and allotted times and we'll see how it comes together. One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that due to the sheer number of Expo entries, we can't always play them all during prime time. However this year we will look at structuring it a lot more so that we can at least play one video for each editor in one of the reasonable time slots and then rest as we can fit them in. The other thing to keep in mind is we have to always take a "Stab" at how many hours of Expo there is as the schedule will be finalized before the deadline of Expo, hence if there are more videos them time allotted, it is then that the extra must be placed somewhere in the schedule. I'm not sure, but that might be what happened last year possibly.

As for the free forms in the early morning, we will look at continuing to incorporate then, but there might be some slight changes and I'll discuss that with those involved in them in the near future.

Vlad

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 am

Could having some sort of "i'm going to be at the con" check-box on the upload page help out? maybe use it as a priority gauge for screening or something?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:13 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Could having some sort of "i'm going to be at the con" check-box on the upload page help out? maybe use it as a priority gauge for screening or something?
Yes indeed, actually have already suggested this... I plan to keep good lines of communications between fellow editors too so that shoudl help. The key is to be able to tshow everythign but do it in a way to keep the audiance intrested too..

Vlad

Return to “Anime Conventions”