Otakon AMV Dinner Thursday

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Re: Otakon AMV Dinner Thursday

Post by Gaelstrom » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:52 am

Ya know... reading that reminds me of when I brought a friend of mine to Otakon for the first time a couple years ago. He's a rather Otaku-looking guy, and his movements and such mimick that stereotype. And while I'm originally an east-coaster, but grew up in Connecticut, I'm generally comfortable in cities (my aunt's in Manhattan).

As it was getting darker and we were making a jaunt to a Subway for a sandwich, this rather attractive blond woman in a mid-length skirted business suit waiting at the cross walk with us looks at the two of us and says, "Be careful around here at night guys, it's a bad neighborhood" and walked off. Now I must say, in that moment, I just grinned ^^ The dangling Otakon badges probably didn't help, but I remember turning and seeing my friend looking really... out of place. I'm sure I wasn't the most in-place myself, but I just facepalmed that a beautiful woman who I would be worried about in that area warning us to be careful. In that regard, I guess the point is I decided not to travel too far into the city. I must say that last anecdote of yours Miko definitely makes this "traveling north" journey not very appetizing :D I'd prefer a place that's easily identifiable and not a tremendous distance from the con, but as long as we can make sure we know where it is, I can google maps it and find my way. Let's just make sure it's not too long a walk for those of us with no transportation, or knowledge of which streets are the good ones :wink:

Heh, and on our way back from the Subway, my friend was walking behind me a bit and we were coming up on a few black guys, some walking slower in front of us, and another few just hangin' out on the side of a building. Nothing threatening, but then of course his dumb ass chose that exact moment to decide to say "We should head back so we find more of our kind" (meaning anime fans). Well I generously told him to shut the fuck up as harshly and quietly as I could before we stopped by the 7-11 to grab drinks and I could explain to his stupefied expression, "Would you consider that two clean-cut white dudes meandering around this neighborhood talking about 'our kind' might perhaps be a really retarded thing to say?" I promised him I'd never let him live that one down ^^

Ah, memories...
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Has there been a consensus on which restaurant would be most appropriate? I'm good for anything within walking distance of the convention center and the hotels.
ImageImageImage

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Gaelstrom wrote:I must say that last anecdote of yours Miko definitely makes this "traveling north" journey not very appetizing :D
Hahah, see, that's the problem with Baltimore. It's SO spotty. I have to travel north to get home anyway (and yes I have walked it, in my Misa cosplay, but I know which roads to take - however I did NOT do this at night O_o). The fact that the red light district was so close to that wonderful, harmless French bakery... yeah. It really is a question of turning the wrong corner. Going straight up Charles street is pretty safe, though, especially if you're with someone.
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:50 pm

I would LOVE to join a bunch of fellow editors on Saturday after Iron Editor (it's usually the last event I go to anyway on Saturday evenings, and I've never had a chance to make one of these dinners before).
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:40 pm

I'd do the Saturday night thing but AMV Salad is set to premiere at 10pm and I don't wanna miss it this year. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:36 am

I WILL BE WAITING AT THE FIVE GUYS FAMOUS BURGERS AT 8:00PM ON THURSDAY NIGHT! THE LOCATION IS AT THE INNER HARBOR ON PRATT STREET SIDE, SECOND FLOOR! I WILL BE WEARING THE GIT-R-DONE HAT, PROBABLY SITTING AT A TABLE, MAYBE READING BRANDON SANDERSON'S NEW WAY OF KINGS BOOK! COME EARLY IF YOU LIKE! SEE YOU THERE!

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Parodic Productions wrote:I WILL BE WAITING AT THE FIVE GUYS FAMOUS BURGERS AT 8:00PM ON THURSDAY NIGHT! THE LOCATION IS AT THE INNER HARBOR ON PRATT STREET SIDE, SECOND FLOOR! I WILL BE WEARING THE GIT-R-DONE HAT, PROBABLY SITTING AT A TABLE, MAYBE READING BRANDON SANDERSON'S NEW WAY OF KINGS BOOK! COME EARLY IF YOU LIKE! SEE YOU THERE!
How did you get Way of Kings? It's not released til the end of August... did you get an ARC?

Either way, I'm jealous...

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Jefferys wrote:
Other options:
1. California Pizza Kitchen - Although, like Cheesecake Factor and other chain restaurants, they tend to crumple under the weight of too many people under one reservation.
Didn't that close down a few years ago?
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:17 pm

irriadin wrote:
Parodic Productions wrote:I WILL BE WAITING AT THE FIVE GUYS FAMOUS BURGERS AT 8:00PM ON THURSDAY NIGHT! THE LOCATION IS AT THE INNER HARBOR ON PRATT STREET SIDE, SECOND FLOOR! I WILL BE WEARING THE GIT-R-DONE HAT, PROBABLY SITTING AT A TABLE, MAYBE READING BRANDON SANDERSON'S NEW WAY OF KINGS BOOK! COME EARLY IF YOU LIKE! SEE YOU THERE!
How did you get Way of Kings? It's not released til the end of August... did you get an ARC?

Either way, I'm jealous...
I work at the Central Pratt Library in acquisitions. We get advanced copies of books sporadically. They're all free game for any staff members interested in keeping, otherwise sent into stacks where they're put on sale in December. Needless to say, I was ecstatic to get my hands on this gem. Looking forward to starting it soon.
gotenks794 wrote:
Jefferys wrote:
Other options:
1. California Pizza Kitchen - Although, like Cheesecake Factor and other chain restaurants, they tend to crumple under the weight of too many people under one reservation.
Didn't that close down a few years ago?
Yes, yes it did.

Return to “Anime Conventions”