Otakon AMV Dinner Thursday

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime conventions, and for the exchanging of rides to, and rooms at, conventions.

Otakon AMV Dinner Thursday

Postby Parodic Productions » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Good time to get this started, I believe.

UPDATE: 7/23/10

On July 29th, I'd like to get enough editors together to join one another for dinner that evening down at the Inner Harbor. Now, to avoid any problems, I made a few changes from last year.

Instead of the standard seven like previous years, I've decided to push back dinner to somewhere after 8:00PM. This may give editors ample time to arrive, pick up their tickets, and head over to dinner. If anyone has an opinion on the time, please leave a comment.

I have checked out several spots downtown to see our options better, compared and contrasted which suited best, and eventually limited the choice down to the complex system of HEADS VS TAILS. And with that, I came to the conclusion:

FIVE GUYS FAMOUS BURGERS AND FRIES

It's relatively cheap, it's very good food, it's a short wait, no reservations are necessary, and they're open til 10:00, so we can meet at 8:00 with no need for a rush. And it's right by the Inner Harbor on the Pratt Street side, NOT in the Gallery, so it's a short distance. So I found it to be the most convenient place to meet on Thursday night. If this is all right with everyone, then feel free to send a response.

Now, for those who will be coming this year, I need a commitment. Which is why I'm asking for anyone seriously interested to private message me with their confirmation, including number of people with you and whether or not you will be able to make it on time. No need to confirm right away, just make sure that I receive a PM eventually so that I can expect who will show up and when. For now, just send comments on where you want to eat.

For anyone who will not show up on time, I will make certain you find the right table if you come in late.

UPDATE: I WILL BE WAITING AT THE FIVE GUYS FAMOUS BURGERS AT 8:00PM ON THURSDAY NIGHT! THE LOCATION IS AT THE INNER HARBOR ON PRATT STREET SIDE, SECOND FLOOR! I WILL BE WEARING THE GIT-R-DONE HAT, PROBABLY SITTING AT A TABLE, MAYBE READING BRANDON SANDERSON'S NEW WAY OF KINGS BOOK! COME EARLY IF YOU LIKE! SEE YOU THERE!

I'll make sure to update this post accordingly. For now, share your comments as much as you like.

Oh! Before I forget. On Saturday, after Iron Editor, we will be having another dinner get-together, this time at Uno Chicago Grill. To meet up, just stay after Iron Editor along with the others. That's usually how that works. I'm usually not in charge of this anyhow. It usually amasses to a group of people following one another and we all end up at Uno's. Anyone have anything better to come up with, feel free to share.

I DO!

There is also an M&S Grill down there that is also open til midnight. I haven't eaten there yet, but I've seen the food and it looks pretty good. A little pricey, but then what isn't? So, if anyone is interested in eating there instead of Uno's on Saturday, just speak up.

After reading the schedule for Iron Editor, I'm not sure what the situation for Saturday is now. What with AMVSalad and everything being a tad fubar, it's hard to distinguish what's going on at all over there. Luckily, this isn't my part, so I'll just go with whatever flow is available when and where. We'll see.
Last edited by Parodic Productions on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Neither vice nor prayer
Can ever compare
To the mutual care
Of Central Air
Parodic Productions

Re: Otakon AMV Dinner Thursday

Postby Angelyco » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:29 pm

A few of us will probably be up for Uno on Saturday :up:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Angelyco

Postby Brakus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:11 am

Not to derail this, but why Uno? Some of the people that went last year (and the year before) didn't get the best service from the waitstaff.... I personally didn't have any problems with it, and Lord knows it was awesome to have leftovers for breakfast the next morning, but would there be any other good places to check out on that Saturday after Iron Editor?
~BRAKUS~
Defying the future one step at a time....
Brakus

Postby Scintilla » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:28 am

I may not join everyone after the Iron Chef, as I swore to myself that I was not going to allow myself to miss the fan parodies yet again this year (especially after AnimeNEXT had NO fan parodies at all this weekend, unless you count the YGO! Abridged showings). Whether that means I see the Friday night block or the Saturday night block depends on the schedule and other circumstances.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Angelyco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:24 am

Scintilla, if it helps, I heard that the Friday night fan parodies block will be mostly new videos, and Saturday night will be older/classic videos.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Angelyco

Postby kireblue » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

damn. I don't think that I'll be able to go to the one on Thursday. Arriving in Baltimore on Thursday would save me money on plane tickets, but I'd have to extend my hotel reservation. I'll be at the one on Saturday though.
MomoCon's 2014 AMV Contest will be accepting entries until Monday, April 28th, 2013
kireblue

Postby Brakus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:46 am

Angelyco wrote:Scintilla, if it helps, I heard that the Friday night fan parodies block will be mostly new videos, and Saturday night will be older/classic videos.

Yes! Time for me to see how much of "This Is Otakudom" I still know by heart. :)
~BRAKUS~
Defying the future one step at a time....
Brakus

Postby Jefferys » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:40 am

Parodic Productions wrote:There are also Phillips Seafood, Edo Sushi, La Tasca Spanish Tapas, and Hooters (good wings). Any more restaurants people have in mind, feel free to share. I'm mostly leaning on the first two.

Other options:
1. California Pizza Kitchen - Although, like Cheesecake Factor and other chain restaurants, they tend to crumple under the weight of too many people under one reservation.

2. Tir Na Nog - Not all that bad, really...I liked it when I went there some years back...
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.
Jefferys

Postby Cyanna » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Scintilla wrote:I may not join everyone after the Iron Chef, as I swore to myself that I was not going to allow myself to miss the fan parodies yet again this year (especially after AnimeNEXT had NO fan parodies at all this weekend, unless you count the YGO! Abridged showings). Whether that means I see the Friday night block or the Saturday night block depends on the schedule and other circumstances.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind meeting up with everyone after Iron Editor. :P
ImageImage
Cyanna

Postby Parodic Productions » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 am

Jefferys wrote:
Parodic Productions wrote:There are also Phillips Seafood, Edo Sushi, La Tasca Spanish Tapas, and Hooters (good wings). Any more restaurants people have in mind, feel free to share. I'm mostly leaning on the first two.

Other options:
1. California Pizza Kitchen - Although, like Cheesecake Factor and other chain restaurants, they tend to crumple under the weight of too many people under one reservation.

2. Tir Na Nog - Not all that bad, really...I liked it when I went there some years back...

Not sure of the Irish one, didn't faze me well at the time; maybe for Saturday, pending on everyone's thoughts on Uno's

As for Californy, I'll have to scout that out when I get the chance
Neither vice nor prayer
Can ever compare
To the mutual care
Of Central Air
Parodic Productions

Postby Deuce Loosely » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm all for a meetup Thursday night. AMV nerds UNITE! |:>
AMV Coordinator
Katsucon 2012 - 2014
Zenkaikon 2013 - present
Anime Mid Atlantic 2010 - 13
Nekocon 2013
IchibanCon 2014
Asst AMV Coordinator
Tekko 2014
Executive Producer: AMV Salad 1 - 6
AMV Salad 7 is currently in production...
Deuce Loosely

Postby Gaelstrom » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm definitely up for Thursday. I'd be up for another dinner Saturday too, but chances are there'll be stuff I want to see, so Thursday is ideal. I'm not too familiar with area restaurants, I just tend to default to Five Guys with my buddies who come with me every year, so I'll follow whatever is recommended. California Pizza Kitchen may crumble under a larger group, but if we just get several pizzas or something, that should streamline things for them in general.

The big thing I'm curious about is how do we coordinate a meeting/find each other in the restaurant we go to since at least in general we don't know what we look like ^^ I guess there could be a reservation put for "AMV Creators" or something and then we just ask the host which table it is, but that would only work for certain places.
ImageImageImage
Gaelstrom

Postby Honou_Miko » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

I've gone totally nuts recommending this place in the Otakon forums, but if you're willing to walk a good bit north, there is an AMAZING Chinese place that is pretty much ideal for large groups. They have massive tables with lazy susans in the middle for sharing purposes, and fantastic food. As I mentioned in the forums (sorry if anyone has seen me rave incessantly about the place there as well, I must be annoying) they have a good amount of authentic stuff, and dim sum all day... but the Chinese-American stuff is also extremely well prepared. So, you can order chicken feet or you can order General Tso's chicken; either way it'll be delicious. :) (though I guess technically I can't speak for the chicken feet as I have not tried them YET but their sticky rice served in a lotus leaf is also amazing if you're going for authenticity)

Damn, now I'm hungry. :ying:

But yeah, I've raved enough about the food - my main point was originally that they are completely ideal for a large group (but still, I'd bring cash to avoid bill confusion). So, throwing it out there. It is, however, a good walk from the harbor. Here's their site (unfinished but still lol): http://mysite.verizon.net/biz124o3t/

I'm always sort of hesitant to commit to dinners where I have not met anyone, but I think fellow AMV makers are a different story. :) I'm all for it.
AKA CurryMuttonPizza
Honou_Miko

Postby Parodic Productions » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Oh! That place on Park Avenue. There's a Chinese convenience store right next to it, I sometimes go there to buy noodles or rice. Lady there always watching Asian soaps. Other than that, don't know much about the place.

Park Avenue, however, can be pretty risky. Lots of barren spots and stores. I mean, it's pretty safe to walk, in fact I walk it just about everyday, but I've only done so during the daylight. All in all, it depends on your mileage and how willing you are to walk there.

I'll check it out, though, at least to gauge the place itself. And if we're talking places north, I'll dig up some info on some other restaurants around the area. Maybe even south. Hell, maybe one of them places inside the hotels; they sometimes have good food. Here and there. We'll see.

I'll be in Ocean City this coming weekend, so it may take a while. Feel free to share more ideas amongst yourselves. And PM me if you can commit to meeting up on Thursday.
Neither vice nor prayer
Can ever compare
To the mutual care
Of Central Air
Parodic Productions

Postby Honou_Miko » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 am

Parodic Productions wrote:Oh! That place on Park Avenue. There's a Chinese convenience store right next to it, I sometimes go there to buy noodles or rice. Lady there always watching Asian soaps. Other than that, don't know much about the place.

Park Avenue, however, can be pretty risky. Lots of barren spots and stores. I mean, it's pretty safe to walk, in fact I walk it just about everyday, but I've only done so during the daylight. All in all, it depends on your mileage and how willing you are to walk there.

I'll check it out, though, at least to gauge the place itself. And if we're talking places north, I'll dig up some info on some other restaurants around the area. Maybe even south. Hell, maybe one of them places inside the hotels; they sometimes have good food. Here and there. We'll see.

I'll be in Ocean City this coming weekend, so it may take a while. Feel free to share more ideas amongst yourselves. And PM me if you can commit to meeting up on Thursday.

I live further north in Mount Vernon, go to school at the Peabody Conservatory over by the monument... so I'm very familiar. I'd say walking up Charles or Cathedral and then crossing back over is a good bet. (and yes, LOL at the lady watching the soaps!)

I learned all about walking the safe streets and crossing over the hard way - wanted to find Patisserie Poupon with my friend, in the middle of the winter, and ended up walking through the red light district on East Baltimore Street (the bakery is significantly further east than that, but still on that street), with a bunch of guys asking us "hey girls, you must be cold, come on inside" ffs we just wanted cake. (cake is a lie?)

But yeah, I will let you know - I am actually waiting to hear back from that friend to make sure she is absolutely coming to the con (she is at home in Europe), and I'll ask if she's willing to join me for the dinner.

Another place that MIGHT accomodate a group pretty well is Iggie's Pizza, but it's pretty far north... but everyone can order their stuff separately, and they call out your number to grab it. Both places (this and the Chinese place) are BYOB... but Iggie's doesn't accept reservations, so it's a gamble for a big group. They have a big long table in the middle but it's entirely possible that may be taken. But, throwing it out there along with any other ideas. If I can think of more group-friendly places I will post!
AKA CurryMuttonPizza
Honou_Miko

Next

Return to Anime Conventions