Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: Project OrgEditor [Recommendation Thread]

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:50 pm

When i started this cOntest, it had 3 purposes. B

1). To make editors edit outside their typical standards. This, naturally, can result in great videos.
2). To have fun!
3). Have a more "unusual" contest than most have.

Edit: I also wanted to bring project runway to the org. XD

I have more to say, but I'm on the road ATM, so I will address other posts shortly.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Okay, speaking as a judge, here are a few things:

I've only been a judge one other time (at last year's AAC, at the last minute, and Bashar nearly killed me with habanero glucose). I did serve on staff with Vlad at this year's Sakura-Con and was REALLY involved with that and selecting amv's to show--so, not really judging, but I did have to show some discernment.

I honestly don't know why Code asked me to judge, I didn't ask him. I *do* know I've enjoyed it immensely. I tend to be overly opinionated and I am a critical person, but I also went to art school and I do understand the difference between criticism and critique. I'm also one of the older editors on the site (39) and I'm fairly even-tempered and thick-skinned, so I don't take things personally, and I try not to let personal prejudices get in the way of things like this. That being said, I feel amv editing is an art form, and judging them is both subjective and objective.

I have no problem with Code revealing which comments and scores were mine after this is done (or at any time), and I don't mind discussing them with any of the editors at any point. And if anybody has a problem with me being selected as a judge for any reason and wants to talk about that, feel free. Like I said, I'm not a wilting wallflower--I'm not gonna go boo-hoo in a corner because you think I shouldn't have been a judge.

I've really enjoyed the competition and I've really enjoyed watching all your videos--the ones I've liked, and the ones that haven't floated my boat as much. They all took blood, sweat and tears on your parts and that's never a wasted effort.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 pm

CorpseGoddess wrote:Bashar nearly killed me with habanero glucose
I totally <3 you for putting up with that. If you happen to be in the area for future AACs, I could always use more judges and I've been sworn to not cause people physical pain any more. XD
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:17 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:Bashar nearly killed me with habanero glucose
I totally <3 you for putting up with that. If you happen to be in the area for future AACs, I could always use more judges and I've been sworn to not cause people physical pain any more. XD
It was a blast, really. I just didn't expect that thing so be quite so...apocalyptically spicy. I won't be out there this year, but most definitely next, so you can put me down for judging then. If I can convince hubby to come out with me (Purplepolecat), you'll get him as well. :awesome: :awesome:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm

CodeZTM wrote: 1). To make editors edit outside their typical standards. This, naturally, can result in great videos.
2). To have fun!
These are great but they have nothing to do with what the actual purpose of the contest is. These are just things you hope people come away from it with. When there is only one editor left, what about the contest made them be the last one standing?

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Pwolf wrote:
CodeZTM wrote: 1). To make editors edit outside their typical standards. This, naturally, can result in great videos.
2). To have fun!
These are great but they have nothing to do with what the actual purpose of the contest is. These are just things you hope people come away from it with. When there is only one editor left, what about the contest made them be the last one standing?
Excessive creativity and high standards of quality editing?

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Ileia wrote:The scoring issue would be easier to deal with if the point of the contest was more clearly defined. Who should be the winner? The one who does the best throughout the entire contest? Or, similar to reality shows (which the contest suggests it is), is it anyone's game every round and it doesn't matter if you've done well previously?
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:04 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
Pwolf wrote:
2). To have fun!
Excessive creativity and high standards of quality editing?
THE CONTEST NOT THE EDITOR >.<

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Pwolf wrote:
THE CONTEST NOT THE EDITOR >.<
I'm honestly not trying to be difficult, but I just didn't understand what you're getting at. Now I think I understand. XD

What about the contest made them be the last one standing? The contest is set up so that those who do better with the theme rounds [AKA: Creativity, how they executed each theme in terms of editing, and originality] get more points. Theme execution is 30 points, which makes it the biggest possible chunk of points to earn.

But I think I get what you mean. You mean like "the editor who does the best each round" or "the editor that is consistently good"? [Like Ileia said]

In this case, it's hard to answer. The inspiration was Project Runway, which does both. Each round, the judges think "Can we get something better from them?" "Did they have a bad week, but have a consistently positive prior work" and/or "Was this video SO bad that they deserve death?".

The scoring system was implemented to help create a sort of "reliability" to the judges to have a good reason for why they picked a video to move on to the next round. While I trust my judges, I feel like editors are more comfortable with it. Otherwise, it would essentially be "Judge A, please pick the video that you want tossed."

In this case, I think I will return to the previous scoring system where the worst videos each round will be eliminated. I feel like it's more in tune with the original concept of the contest, we can keep the scoring system [but simplify it as a rubric format].

Now, to address the other posts! I finally hit a hotel and have a laptop. :)

*Blind Judges: I like this idea and will probably do this. I feel like it's a good idea. I just personally asked them if they wanted to be blind/revealed, and they all didn't mind being revealed, so I went with that. I'll also stick with my method of picking judges. I don't think I've done a bad job of it. I also LOVE the idea of having old competitors being judges. I'll make the offer next year before the contest starts.

*Bonus Round: Not likely. The bonus points criteria didn't work well in the first rendition, and I'm not comfortable with it. The "audition" video might be worth a bonus point or two, based on how well it was created, but that's about it. This was, it serves a nice incentive.

*Themes: I will be having a theme selection committee next year, and I will probably be using them to help me write them so they are easier to read. Then again, I don't think we will ever have something like Round 4's fiasco again. XD I think more like round 3/5 will be more numerous.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 pm

You could try round score + 10% of combined total from previous rounds to determine elimination scores. That would give some advantage to people who've done exceptionally throughout, but not an overwhelming one.

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 1”