Project OrgEditor [Rules & F.A.Q]

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Project OrgEditor [Rules & F.A.Q]

Post by CodeZTM » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time again! Time for everyone's favorite appreciated enjoyed hated... Uh... Well, it's time for the annual Project Editor again.

What Is Project Orgeditor?

Similar to the hit Bravo TV series, Project Runway, Project Editor is a video editing competition that pits editors against each other in a weekly competition for the span of roughly 2 months. Each week’s competition will have a unique “theme” on how editors will edit their video. For example, last year, editors had to edit an AMV based upon a popular meme. They also had to make a tribute to a fellow editor. Themes this year will be radically different, but you get the idea. Think American Idol meets Hell’s Kitchen meets Top Chef meets Project Runway. Or some weird combination thereof.

What’s the Point?

Besides the fantastic prizes and honor of saying “NYA NYA I’M BETTER THAN CHOOO”?

Project Editor was originally started to get editors to think outside of their usual boxes and try to create unique AMVs that they would otherwise not have made. In other words, here at Project OrgEditor, we strive to help blossom creativity into the hobby and to try different things.

Naturally, it was also something that’s actually very fun to compete in. [Don’t pay any attention to the ridiculous amounts of laughter that is traveling across the internet as people read that sentence.]

Requirements to Join

1 - Realize that this contest will run from June through July and possibly into August should something go wrong. You will need to edit one video a week [assuming you are not eliminated] for 2 months. The only break in between is the 2 day judging period. This is a major time requirement, and if you don’t feel as though you can make it, please do not sign up. Drop outs after the first round can screw up a lot of aspects about this competition. Although, a week to edit an AMV is also a long time considering this is an iron-chef like tournament.

2 - Knowledge of FTP, since submissions will be sent through this. Filezilla is your best bet, as it has already been confirmed to work.

3 - An a-m-v.org account. It does not matter how long you have been a member, and it does not matter if you’re more involved in an international community other than a-m-v.org. WE WELCOME ALL. Youtube, AMVNews, AMVFrance, ect ect ect. The account is required only because you will need to be able to contact me AND to sign up in the main thread.

4 - A willingness to think outside the box! If you’re creative, you’ll do extremely well in this competition.

5 - Because this is a blind contest, you are also required to NOT SHARE your AMV with anyone else but yourself until the round is over. Beta testing with friends is ok, but those friends CANNOT be judges and those friends CANNOT share your AMV with anyone else or publish it anywhere else. Failure to abide by this will result in a disqualification.
AMENDED: Your name should not be visible in the AMV. Starting in round 2, this will be a means of disqualification. Use of voice acting in your AMV is permitted, but only because voices across the internet are not as commonly known as a text in the AMV that says "CodeZTM" or whatnot.

6 – Being a good sport. Not everybody is going to win this competition, and somebody will be eliminated each week. Don’t be rude to the judges for the scores they give, as they have no idea which video belongs to who, so it’s not like it’s anything personal. Let’s try and be as drama free as possible please. ;)

7 – AMENDED - 6/18/2011 Videos that are openly rude or vulgar [IE: flaming] towards contestants, judges or administration is hereby a means of disqualification. Gentle poking of fun based upon prior videos [such as if you made fun of me and my BAJILLION Taylor Swift videos] is permitted. Gentle mockery based on forum jokes [such as ones love for pizza or mudkips] is also permitted. If you want a basis, it better not be worse than a political ad or a PG-13 movie. :|

How Do I Get Eliminated From the Competition?

Each week, the editors will receive a score based upon how well they performed in that week’s theme/challenge. Editors with the lowest overall score in the competition will be eliminated.

For Example:

Round 1: Editor A gets 50 points. Editor B gets 60 Points. Editor C gets 90 Points.
Round 1 Elimination: Editor A is eliminated

Round 2: Editor B gets 40 points. Editor C gets 20 points.
Round 2 Elimination: Editor B is eliminated. [(60+40=100)<(90+20=110)

How Does a Week Work?

Day 1: Theme Revealed, Editing Begins
Day 1-7: EDIT
Day 7: Videos Must Be Submitted by 11:59 Central*
Day 8-9: Judging
Day 10: Results Revealed, Competitors Eliminated, Next Round Begins

*if you are unsure about your time zone conversion to central, please contact me BEFORE the competition begins.

How am I Judged?

Creativity/Concept: 20
Editing/Effects: 20
Sync/SceneSelection: 20
Visuals: 10
Theme Execution: 30

Creativity/Concept: How creative was the concept of the video in relation to the round's theme? Did they think out of the box, or was it more or less something we've all seen 1000 times before?

Editing/Effects: How well did the editor use his/her editing talents? Did they just slap a movie timeline and call it a day, or did he/she use some sort of clever idea as to how to make the video better? Were the cuts/crossfades well executed?

Sync/SceneSelection: How well did the editor make the audio and video flow together? Were the scenes chosen appropriate and well placed? Does the video have flow and timing?

Visuals: Do the visuals take anything away from the video? [IE: Bad filtering, overfiltering, obvious rip from youtube ect] [Note: This is not meant as a means of crippling people that choose older anime compared to blu-rays of today. Only score lowly if the visuals are actually BAD to look at and take away from the video.]

Theme Execution: How well did the editor execute the round's theme? Was it in line with what the project asked for, or did they completely miss the point? Also please note that creativity in executing the theme can also be a considering factor here.

Who is Judging Me?

CorpseGoddess
Dr. Dinosaur
EvaFan
Kireblue
Kosmit
NS
Otohiko
Radical_Yue

You may have noticed a “judges thread”. That is there for you to ask for clarification of any scores you may receive, and for the judges to explain the scores they gave out. Similar to how the JCAs end, the judges can go through and explain why they scored what they scored, and why they felt that they were the better/worse videos. This is voluntary though, so they may not respond to questions immediately. If they wish for their scores to remain secret, they are more than welcome to contact through me, and I will post in their name.

How Were the Judges Picked? Will it be a fair judging?

To the first question, they were picked mostly based on past credentials. Almost all of them have prior judging experience, or have extensive experience working at cons as administrators. Several are just extremely knowledgeable about the subject and have been around for a long time. And naturally, we’ve got a few international editors present as well. Most importantly, they are all frequently capable of giving some of the best feedback on AMVs that I’ve personally ever seen. So, in short, they are all VERY capable.

All of them are completely different in terms of tastes, and all have agreed to judge blindly and not be involved with any of the competitors, so I feel as though the contest is as fair as fair can be.

Naturally, however, some judges might give radically different scores based upon their interpretation of the categories. I only ask them to be as fair and balanced as possible, and I believe they all have extremely fair judgment and will be as honest as possible.

What happens if a Judge does not finish judging on time?

We simply disregard their scores. Since we’re not going be averaging scores this time, this shouldn’t be a problem. We also have 8 judges for a reason. Should 1 or 2 get sick or have another engagement, the other 6 or 7 can judge and still have a wide variety of opinions/scores to give.

Regarding Time / Deadlines

Each round of competition will last for exactly one week.

Each editor must have their videos uploaded and submitted to the contest coordinator by the appropriate date at 11:59 pm central time.

Competitors missing this deadline will be disqualified.

Videos will be submitted to FTP. Contestants must contact the coordinator in order to get information on where to submit their video and how to name their file. Thankfully, I [or a judge notified ahead of time] will be on during the day of the deadline, and will be capable of giving out said information.

Regarding Anime/Audio

Any anime source is permitted, so long as it meets technical specifications below.

[Added : 5/27/11] Live action and non-anime sources are permitted, except in the final round.

Any audio source is permitted.

Regarding Technical Specifications

AMVs may be edited in any video size or aspect ratio.

AMVs must be under 100 MB in size.

AMVs may be submitted in either: AVI, MP4 or MKV.

AMVs must be longer than 30 seconds.

AMVs must be shorter than 5 minutes.

Editors must use anime based sources that meet a-m-v.org guidelines.

All AMV entries must meet the a-m-v.org rules of uploading. This means that excessive nudity [without artistic merit], excessive gore and sexual acts are not permitted.

I’m in the Iron Chef 4 competition! Can I still compete?

OF COURSE! You have a week to edit your videos in this competition, and 2 hours to edit for the Iron Chef. There is plenty of time for you to compete in both if you manage your time and video ripping properly.

However, to be fair…

If you have a Iron Chef match the DAY OF THE DEADLINE you may have an extra 2 hours past the deadline of 11:59 PM to have your videos submitted. This means you have to have your videos uploaded to FTP by 1:59 AM of the following day.

Prizes?

Indeed! We will be having several fabulous prizes for this year.

The OrgEditor Champion will be given a special ribbon on their winning video’s profile page, similar to a VCA award. They will also win a “swag pack”, full of several small trinkets with the Project OrgEditor Logo, designed by our very talented Nya-Chan Production. Finally, they will receive their choice of either a portable USB hard drive with 1 TB of storage OR an anime series of their own choosing [with the same or lesser retail value as the Hard Drive]. An Amazon Gift card online is also an option. They will also receive a framed certificate.

The OrgEditor Runner Up will be granted a lovely “swag pack”, just like the OrgEditor Champion. They will also receive a USB Flash Drive that holds 4 GB. Those, or an Amazon gift card. They will also receive a framed certificate.

Please allow several weeks for shipping. I can't afford overnight shipping, and I have a very strict budget with the prizes. :sweat:

Yes, I learned from prior mistakes and will be shipping prizes in enough bubble wrap to ship an elephant.

Yes, we will ship internationally. [Yes, it will take time.]

Why is there a “Discussion [Spam] Thread”?

For whatever reason, Project Editor has always gotten a lot of spam in the main thread.

Not all of it is necessarily off-topic, but because the competitors are very close and like to talk openly about the contest, I decided it was best to have a thread dedicated to JUST the fast-paced disccusion thread, and leave all the official threads alone so that people don’t have to wade through 20+ pages of material for results or rule clarifications or whatnot. We had SEVERAL complaints about this last year.

To clarify:

If you have a question about a round theme, want a rule clarified or the theme explained better, POST IN THE MAIN THREADS.

If you want to bitch about the theme, send briberies to the judges, discuss your plans about your AMV for the specific round’s theme, post a humorous image, guess about the round hints, or deliver me death threats, USE THE DISCUSSION [Spam] THREAD!

I have already informed the moderators and administrators to remove any and all spam that appear in any threads other than the “Spam Thread”. Let’s please be respectful for all in the contest, and leave the main threads alone. Please and thank you!

How to Sign Up?

If you have taken the time to read these rules, and you understand them and will abide by them, please sign up in the sign ups thread now. DO NOT SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD.

Your post should include:

1) Your username.
2) A number between 1 and 100. You cannot have a number the same as a fellow contestant. If you post the same number as a fellow contestant accidently, you will be assigned the next incremental number that isn’t taken if you don’t edit it before the first round begins. This number will be used to assign your positions in certain rounds through a random number generator. So pick something lucky!
3) Your signup post should look like this : Code - #4

Extra "Non-Crucial" Information
Spoiler :
Random Number Generator?

In two rounds of this competition, there will be a time where random assignments will be required. To keep the assignments fair, the editors will be placed based upon the numbers they picked, alongside the use of a random generator, which picks number from random. If the RNG does not choose a number that was chosen, I will keep going until the number IS chosen.

Where can I view the completed round videos?!

Sadly, we will not have the time or ability to offer compilation videos. Because of the fast paced nature of the contest and my full time occupation at an accounting firm, I don’t have the time to dedicate to editing together entire videos.

However, we will offer .zip files of each round’s videos when the results of each round are presented. Viewers are free to download those and watch as they please. Make sure and offer Eva-Fan your unyielding praise for assisting us with hosting.

Contestants are ENCOURAGED to upload their completed videos ONCE THE JUDGING HAS BEEN COMPLETED. After all, that’s the point of the contest [unless you count the prizes, and if you do, SHAME ON YOU].

Any Tips?

1. Rip a lot of footage beforehand. I mean A LOT. Have an external hard drive filled with pre-clipped anime for all sorts of things. This will save you time and offer a wide variety of sources to choose from. Plus, it can also help you out in Iron Chef 4 to have stuff pre-ripped for both contests.

2. Don’t get discouraged. We’re not asking for PERFECTION. We realize that you only had a week to put this together. Just make sure that your work looks good, feels good and is complete. Don't send us a beta. We expect a full video, but we expect that the full video may not be as amazing as one that you spent 6 months on.

3. Don’t be afraid to ask me for help. That’s what I’m here for. If you don’t understand what we’re asking you to make, I will help word it in a way that’s better for you to understand. I’m not going to edit it for you, but I will be more than happy to clarify on anything you need. You can either ask me on the thread or can pm me in private.

4. DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. There’s nothing worse than trying to rush at the last minute. It makes for lousy AMVs and puts unnecessary stress on you. Get your AMV done quickly, and then leave the remaining days for quick fixes and minor effects/whatnot.
PLEASE TO BE READING THIS SENTENCE.

AnimeMusicVideos.Org only hosts anime or limited mix of anime and non-anime. Project OrgEditor [and ONLY ProjectOrgEditor] allows the use of non-anime sources as an only source of editing. AnimeMusicVideos.org does not intend to change its site message and/or its original goal due to this contest or the views of those running this contest.

Project OrgEditor utilizes an off-site server that is not related to AnimeMusicVideos.org that is hosted by an AnimeMusicVideos.org user, and any material posted does not reflect the philosiphy of AnimeMusicVideos.org. ONLY OUR CONTEST SERVERS ALLOW FULLY NON-ANIME MUSIC VIDEOS.

The coordinator and actions reflected in this contest does NOT reflect the feelings of AnimeMusicVideos.org, and AnimeMusicVideos.org is only providing a sub-forum for the enjoyment of its forum users, in a contest that the site agreed to help host out of the kindness of its heart.
Last edited by CodeZTM on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Kyotachi
Org Profile

Re: Project OrgEditor [Rules & F.A.Q]

Post by Kyotachi » Wed May 25, 2011 11:28 am

I would really love to join this but the time period is very crucial to me...especially from June - August :x :(
I'll think about it :)
CodeZTM wrote: Requirements to Join

1 - Realize that this contest will run from June through July and possibly into August should something go wrong.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 am

Why not live action sources allowed this year? I think that was my favorite aspect of the tournament last year. :(

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 am

Arashinome wrote:Why not live action sources allowed this year? I think that was my favorite aspect of the tournament last year. :(

Since it's more focused towards AMVs and a-m-v.org this year, we wanted to make them the primary focus. However, you can still mix live action, so long as the anime is >50%, similar to the a-m-v.org rules.

McDirty
Org Profile

Post by McDirty » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 am

CodeZTM wrote:Realize that this contest will run from June through July and possibly into August should something go wrong. You will need to edit one video a week [assuming you are not eliminated] for 2 months.
I guess this means if I were to be absent for two weeks in the middle of June, I would be disqualified from the competition? :(

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed May 25, 2011 12:14 pm

McDirty wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Realize that this contest will run from June through July and possibly into August should something go wrong. You will need to edit one video a week [assuming you are not eliminated] for 2 months.
I guess this means if I were to be absent for two weeks in the middle of June, I would be disqualified from the competition? :(
I answered this in pm, but I felt like it's something that might actually apply to another competitor. If editors are willing to keep the rounds a secret, then I will be more than happy to make arrangements for them to edit earlier. Although this is for editors that are going to be gone for an extended period of time greater than a week.

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am

I'll be busy in the next two months but last year edition gave me so much interest as a viewer that I want to participate in this one.
I just hope I'll have enough time to make viewable videos XD

Mkid
Im on the case
Org Profile

Post by Mkid » Thu May 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Question
since i forgot how last year went, will the song be provivded to us? or do we have to find one?

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Mkid wrote:Question
since i forgot how last year went, will the song be provivded to us? or do we have to find one?
Editors pick their own songs. Well, except for one round, and even then you have the ability to pick it, just restricted to a certain degree. :D

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: Project OrgEditor [Rules & F.A.Q] [Update]

Post by CodeZTM » Fri May 27, 2011 12:01 am

After several pms and a very well written out Skype conversation, I have lifted the ban on live action and non-anime sources. You may now edit with whatever source of video you wish, so long as it meets content standards [blood/gore/sex/ect] .

However, the final round MUST utilize anime sources. There is no way around this.

Return to “Project OrgEditor Season 1”