The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - ROUND ONE!

Neverend
The cockpuncher
Org Profile

Re: The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0 - ROUND ONE!

Post by Neverend » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:37 am

Kaream wrote:So I guess I won't be able to ic, what are the odds of it happening right before my ic...
My computer just crashed and I lost everything..
All my anime, my amv projects I've been working for the past months and all my school projects..
I really don't think I could even graduate from school just because of this, really in a crucial position right now.
Spoke with HP & Microsoft Customer Support and I was told that I wasn't quick enough to back up my drive and the problem is S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology,). So I really can't do anything anymore, hell I don't even know what I'm gonna do with my future. I actually had a few potential scholarships for UCs.
In this pic I connected my external and tried to back up my Hard Drive but, I wasn't quick enough and it vanished... :cry:
Quoted Image converted to link:
Aaw man i feel for you, damn that can't be any good at all... If you really can't do the match i wish you atleast can fix your school projects, im sure brad can find someone else to go against me! Hope for the best mate!

Kyotachi
Org Profile

Post by Kyotachi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 am

Neverend wrote:
Kaream wrote:So I guess I won't be able to ic, what are the odds of it happening right before my ic...
My computer just crashed and I lost everything..
All my anime, my amv projects I've been working for the past months and all my school projects..
I really don't think I could even graduate from school just because of this, really in a crucial position right now.
Spoke with HP & Microsoft Customer Support and I was told that I wasn't quick enough to back up my drive and the problem is S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology,). So I really can't do anything anymore, hell I don't even know what I'm gonna do with my future. I actually had a few potential scholarships for UCs.
In this pic I connected my external and tried to back up my Hard Drive but, I wasn't quick enough and it vanished... :cry:
Quoted Image converted to link:
Aaw man i feel for you, damn that can't be any good at all... If you really can't do the match i wish you atleast can fix your school projects, im sure brad can find someone else to go against me! Hope for the best mate!
AHHHHHH MAN!!!
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!...this shit reminds me when my 1st hard disk broke and I lost everything I recorded for the past 2 years....the memories :cry: :(
I Hope you can recover that somehow...at least your school projects

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 am

Kaream wrote:All my anime, my amv projects I've been working for the past months and all my school projects..
Too late in a closing the barn door after the horse has bolted sort of way, but for future reference try dropbox for web storage. Drive dies, download files from web and praise jesus. Or praise the internet. Whichever you'd inclined to do.

I rather like it because, unlike most online storage sites, I don't have to do anything special to sync. I'm rather lazy about backup, I usually don't remember to do it regularly. Dropbox creates a folder on my HD then automatically syncs whatever is in that folder with their online storage. So it really is as simple as just copying a file into that folder then forgetting about it. There's the other benefits of online storage, retrieval from other computers, sharing, etc. But really it's best feature is the automatic backup. IIRC you get 2 gigs of storage, but if you use my link it'll give both you and me another 250meg up to 8 gig if you're really active in referrals (I'm not, you'd be my first actually).

Anyway, sorry about your HD. Hope you at least get the school work back. But at least there's something you can do to make sure this doesn't happen again.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 am

Any hope for data retrieval services? I know they're expensive, but if that much is riding on it, realize it's less than the cost of tuition if you're losing scholarships.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Oshi- This happened to me once, but I got the whole thing back with Recuva, (the same makers of ccleaner) so there's still a chance to recover:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery (it's free, just skip the support/donate section)

...the most frustrating part is everything is still physically on the drive, it's just a matter of whether you can access it or not.

Some things you should know about HDD recovery:
-Stop writing to the drive (data is usually good as long as it is not overwritten)
-No mechanical failures (your computer still needs to be able to recognize the drive)
-Your data can't be encrypted (while encryption is more secure, this is one good reason to not use HDD encryption)
-Backup to a new location/HDD (This keeps the old data safe-- otherwise you risk overwriting other data you want to recover)
-You may have to change the scan settings to go deeper into the drive
-be sure you check the setting that restores the folder structure (otherwise files will be unorganized)

also x2 on what godix said about Dropbox.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 pm

That sucks and all, but every time I see a new post in here I think its results and am ultimately disappointed.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:57 pm

meleechampion wrote:That sucks and all, but every time I see a new post in here I think its results and am ultimately disappointed.
Well be disappointed no more.

Match 18: Dn@ vs. Bladedude101
Dn@'s Source: Sword of the Stranger
Bladedude101's Source: Darker Than Black 1-5
Song: stellastarr* - Robot
WINNER: Dn@

Match 10: Niotex vs. Daikaishisan
Niotex's Source: Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance
Daikaishisan's Source: The Karas - Revelations
Song: Mord Fustang - Electric Dream
WINNER: Daikaishisan

Match 12: RadioactiveCat vs. ssgwnbtd
RadioactiveCat's Source: Eureka Seven Movie
ssgwnbtd's Source: Muu no Hakugei 22-26
Song: Colorpulse - Glorious Dawn
WINNER: ssgwnbtd

A big congrats to all the winners and to all the competitors. I do especially want to say to SSG and RadioactiveCat that I was exceptionally impressed by both of your videos, considering that I knew it was going to be a curveball song. You both managed to do a great job. I especially have to tip my hat to RadioactiveCat considering this was her first IC and was given a song like this. Very very impressed.

Well guys, we are really winding down now. Here's what's left for round 1.

Today:
Match 8: Haunter 103 vs. LiOnka
Match 13: Reigna vs. WC Annihilus

This weekend:
Match 24: Otohiko vs. Mkid
Match 30: jasper-isis vs. Hasteroth
Match 42: Infinity Squared vs. guy07 (guy07 has already edited his video. There was some confusion with the schedule)

Depending on how things go, I MAY end up having to replace Kaream and Douggie. I'm not sure if this will be necessary, but I would like to be able to start round 2 some time next week.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. But it can't be helped I suppose. Congratulations to all who made it.

Atleast I did better then my ~0:30 average :uhoh:

bladedude101
Org Profile

Post by bladedude101 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Congrats Dn@. You deserve it good luck in the next round. Thanks for the fun match.

Her'es my vid.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gh6zso
Re-Evolution Studios plus Chiikaboom. We're taking our frickin' Cookies bitches!

Return to “The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v4.0”