The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

This is a forum for discussion of the 2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards.

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby purplepolecat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Strictly speaking, a parody is a creative work that imitates certain aspects of a different creative work, for comedic effect. Not to be confused with satire, which is a more general term for a creative work designed to reveal (usually unflattering) aspects of a person, institution, abstract concept etc.

IMO, All Hell Lelouch is satire, not parody. It satirizes Lelouch by highlighting unflattering aspects of his personality. To parody Lelouch, you would have to create your own original anime character with Lelouch-like characteristics, and do something with that.

The South Park Movie (and its soundtrack) is a parody of Broadway musicals in general (new creative work which imitates a different creative work). It is also a satire of American society and foreign policy. Does the fact that the source audio is a parody make the AMV a parody? I don't know. The Exploder Evacuator source audio was parody.

Friend Request, Darkest of Places - funny yes, satire maybe, parody no.

Every Anime Opening comes pretty close - it's blindingly obvious what it's parodying, and it gets the point across while making you laugh. The problem is that for parodies, it is unusual to actually use the source material that you are parodying. That's like trying to parody House, MD by putting together a montage of funny House, MD clips. The only true way to parody anime OPs would be to make one from scratch that contained recognizable elements of existing OPs. The Kujibiki Unbalance OP is a good example.

You can take this analysis with a grain of salt, because I obviously have a vested interest in discrediting all the videos but mine, bwah hah hah. For the record, I think all of the finalists in this category are fantastic and made me laugh my ass off.
Image
User avatar
purplepolecat
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

purplepolecat wrote:Strictly speaking, a parody is a creative work that imitates certain aspects of a different creative work, for comedic effect. Not to be confused with satire, which is a more general term for a creative work designed to reveal (usually unflattering) aspects of a person, institution, abstract concept etc.

IMO, All Hell Lelouch is satire, not parody. It satirizes Lelouch by highlighting unflattering aspects of his personality. To parody Lelouch, you would have to create your own original anime character with Lelouch-like characteristics, and do something with that.

The South Park Movie (and its soundtrack) is a parody of Broadway musicals in general (new creative work which imitates a different creative work). It is also a satire of American society and foreign policy. Does the fact that the source audio is a parody make the AMV a parody? I don't know. The Exploder Evacuator source audio was parody.

Friend Request, Darkest of Places - funny yes, satire maybe, parody no.

Every Anime Opening comes pretty close - it's blindingly obvious what it's parodying, and it gets the point across while making you laugh. The problem is that for parodies, it is unusual to actually use the source material that you are parodying. That's like trying to parody House, MD by putting together a montage of funny House, MD clips. The only true way to parody anime OPs would be to make one from scratch that contained recognizable elements of existing OPs. The Kujibiki Unbalance OP is a good example.

You can take this analysis with a grain of salt, because I obviously have a vested interest in discrediting all the videos but mine, bwah hah hah. For the record, I think all of the finalists in this category are fantastic and made me laugh my ass off.



Now I completely agree with you on your analysis. Thank you purplepolecat
I have but one question, Is the Southpark Movie soundtrack a parody of musicals? Or is it just a musical? I mean just because it's funny, or a different subject matter than say disney movies doesn't really mean it's a parody of it.

Take a look at musicals like

Evil Dead: the musical. not really a parody
The Toxic Avenger Musical: Again funny, well written, but it's just a means it's not actually trying to be a parody of musicals soundtracks, it just IS a musical's sound track. Something that is required for it to be a musical.

On the other hand,
Avenue Q, you could clearly see being a parody (of seasame street.)
or
Robin Hood: Men in tights.

As for my video: Exploder: Evacuator Part II The audio is clearly a parody, but I'm honestly not sure if I would call it one. I mean I didn't really emulate trailer styles in order to poke fun at them ... I just made a trailer from a parody trailer audio.

Two trailers (not of this year) I would consider parodies
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=169096
This one that's a parody of trailers themselves (it's probably the best example)

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=168622
And this one which is a parody of AMV trailers, specifically Shinkai trailers.

The question we must ask ourselves is,
Is this a contest that finds the best AMV that is in and of itself a parody, or a contest to find the best AMV that used audio that might be a parody
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby godix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:I have but one question, Is the Southpark Movie soundtrack a parody of musicals? Or is it just a musical? I mean just because it's funny, or a different subject matter than say disney movies doesn't really mean it's a parody of it.

The entire soundtrack is not, but there are some clear parodies on it. Not all are parodies of musicals, although La Resistance obviously is. Up There is a parody of the general disney song style. Just compare it to the main song of any Disney movie since Aladdin.

The question we must ask ourselves is,
Is this a contest that finds the best AMV that is in and of itself a parody, or a contest to find the best AMV that used audio that might be a parody

This is a contest judged by a bunch of people who will never read this thread, and probably would not understand it if they had.




Personally, I think there is only one real parody nominated in the category, Project Bonklers. It was made to parody a specific video. Perhaps what it's parodying it too limited and unknown to really work, but it is a parody.

Every Anime Opening comes kinda close, but I agree with purplepolecat about it. I don't think it's a parody anymore than a 10 minute mix of Homer yelling 'D'oh' from every Simpons episode would be. It's pointing out common traits through example, nothing more.

All hell Lelouch is not parody. Just because the song was a parody doesn't automatically mean the video is. It also does not parody the anime since it used the actual anime. Parody is emulating the style, not taking the original source and twisting it into something different. At best, it's a mockery (not necessarily in a bad way).
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby kireblue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:01 pm

To: Dr.Dinosaur, godix, and purplepolecat

In my opinion, your views of parody AMVs are just a little too narrow and restricting, but I'll admit that your points are valid. Since AMVs use preexisting audio and video sources, I feel that its ok to be a little more flexible with your definition of parody. By analyzing and applying the standards that you guys individually stated, videos can only be parodies of other videos. Also, in terms of AMVs, in order to be a parody you must either use effects that mimic other videos, or use clips that fit into the category that it is parodying. (like how the anime opening AMV is mimicking every other anime opening that isn't in the video, or how last year "Property of a lady" used effects to mimic James bond openings). Either that, or use a anime that is already parodying something. Forgive me if you feel that I am oversimplifying you viewpoints. And like I said, I don't terribly disagree with you guys, but I think that you could be a little less strict on your meaning of parody.
Image
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Oxford English Dictionary wrote: Pronunciation:/ˈparədi/
noun (plural parodies)
*an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect
:the film is a parody of the horror genre

Nah, I think they hit it pretty spot-on.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby EvaFan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 pm

You know, that definition just enforces it more-so to me that his vid is a parody. More than likely the people in question have not seen the anime series. Lelouch is a total serious bsns drama queen. By using the audio from south park, C/F was able to exaggerate this to the point of it being humorous and making fun of lelouch's personality/character. It is a fact that this song would not work with just any anime character. Sad part is I'm guessing you haven't even watched the anime and said that.

He even explains it in his vid explanation:
"Code Geass was a great title. I don't doubt that. But there was something about Lelouch character that always bugged me. Sometimes I felt his character is over pathetic, just like his body movements. It just meant one thing. Parody time."

I'm not just defending him because he's in my studio, I'm serious.

I'd actually vote for bonklers assuming I was participating because I honestly believe its a better parody (no offence C/F :P ), pointless arguing about what is and isn't after the vast majority has already selected is just annoying and I'm sure none of the editors of the videos in question appreciate it especially during the VCA's.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
EvaFan
 
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Location: Somerset, KY
Status: (*゚▽゚)o旦~ ー乾杯ー♪

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby CodeZTM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Every Opening Ever Made is getting my vote in this category. When it comes down to it, Bonklers was the better PARODY, but I just don't feel like its the better video. It did a great job of mimicking De:Light, I just felt like there wasn't a whole package there. I really can't explain it. It's just how I feel it as a viewer. That's just my personal opinion as a viewer. EOEM was extremely well put together, and had fantastic elements to it and a great flow/feel.

Also, I'd agree that All Hell Lelouch is most definitely a parody, just not on the same level of "quality" as the other parodies when you compare them. All Hell Lelouch was a fantastic video. It's just not a fantastic PARODY video.
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 pm

EvaFan wrote:You know, that definition just enforces it more-so to me that his vid is a parody. More than likely the people in question have not seen the anime series. Lelouch is a total serious bsns drama queen. By using the audio from south park, C/F was able to exaggerate this to the point of it being humorous and making fun of lelouch's personality/character. It is a fact that this song would not work with just any anime character. Sad part is I'm guessing you haven't even watched the anime and said that.


But it's not imitating anything.
You said it yourself it IS Lelouch.

And once again, I must reiterate that I absolutely love this video, and many people seem to agree, I'm sure Cross/Fade does not mind all this adoration for his video.

I just don't think it's a parody.
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 am

CodeZTM wrote:Every Opening Ever Made is getting my vote in this category. When it comes down to it, Bonklers was the better PARODY, but I just don't feel like its the better video. It did a great job of mimicking De:Light, I just felt like there wasn't a whole package there. I really can't explain it. It's just how I feel it as a viewer. That's just my personal opinion as a viewer. EOEM was extremely well put together, and had fantastic elements to it and a great flow/feel.

Also, I'd agree that All Hell Lelouch is most definitely a parody, just not on the same level of "quality" as the other parodies when you compare them. All Hell Lelouch was a fantastic video. It's just not a fantastic PARODY video.


Full disclosure: Purplepolecat is my husband. That being said, I'm still an opinionated biotch and have made this argument in the past when his stuff wasn't in the running.

All the videos in the category are great, but if you go by the definition, his video is the only parody video.

If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.
Image
Image
User avatar
CorpseGoddess
 
Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: HEY GUYS

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby godix » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:25 am

CorpseGoddess wrote:
CodeZTM wrote:Every Opening Ever Made is getting my vote in this category. When it comes down to it, Bonklers was the better PARODY, but I just don't feel like its the better video. It did a great job of mimicking De:Light, I just felt like there wasn't a whole package there. I really can't explain it. It's just how I feel it as a viewer. That's just my personal opinion as a viewer. EOEM was extremely well put together, and had fantastic elements to it and a great flow/feel.

Also, I'd agree that All Hell Lelouch is most definitely a parody, just not on the same level of "quality" as the other parodies when you compare them. All Hell Lelouch was a fantastic video. It's just not a fantastic PARODY video.


Full disclosure: Purplepolecat is my husband. That being said, I'm still an opinionated biotch and have made this argument in the past when his stuff wasn't in the running.

All the videos in the category are great, but if you go by the definition, his video is the only parody video.

If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.

Surprisingly, I agree with everything she just said. Although the facebook vid comes close enough to parody I won't go 'WTF' if it wins. But voting for a video that you KNOW does not belong in it's category is as WTF as Nostro for most improved or godix for most helpful.
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 am

CorpseGoddess wrote:If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.


But EOEM was obviously a parody, thus fitting into the category. After meeting the basic criteria, how can I not consider the editing/flow/atmosphere as a feature to critique the work with? The whole point of critiquing AMVs for this contest is to see which one better combines the elements of editing to each specific category. It's like with "Best First". Once you knock out the ones that weren't first AMVs, you've got to go by which one was best edited and had the best flow. Parody is a little different, because you also have to ask "which one was the better parody" DAMN IT. Ok, I'll concede the fact that Bonklers should obviously win this one. As much as I openly hate to admit being wrong, you've got a valid and very well argued point.

Although I totally disagree that editing shouldn't be a considered factor. Once you see which degree of how well a parody is done [let's say that there was another really great parody video that obviously fit into this category, on par with Bonklers], then you should obviously go and see which one was better executed in terms of editing.
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Nya-chan Production » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 am

Management of voting:

Score = relative weight of parody * subjective quality
Total score wins!

Yay! :awesome:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 am

CodeZTM wrote:Although I totally disagree that editing shouldn't be a considered factor. Once you see which degree of how well a parody is done [let's say that there was another really great parody video that obviously fit into this category, on par with Bonklers], then you should obviously go and see which one was better executed in terms of editing.

Ideally, If the video even fits the category in the first place shouldn't be something voters should have to worry about, ones that don't shouldn't be getting in.

Reality is quite removed from the ideal in certain categories like parody year after year (this is also the case in most categories at audience voted contests). How you vote in light of the reality is what counts. By voting with the intent of the category in mind, you prop up the contest's shortcomings - namely the ignorant masses that outnumber you and don't put anywhere near a fraction of the thought into their voting that you appear to. Realize your contribution to the process of propping up those shortcomings (in terms of actually voting in a manner true to the intent of the category) is akin to what a car jack can do for a beached whale. I'm sure this discussion is actually more beneficial than not, but if past discussions are any indication, people don't particularly care about the plight of the whales and they don't want to hear about them being beached. :amv:
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby CorpseGoddess » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:If you just ignore the category and vote for the video you like, it kind of defeats the purpose of having separate categories, no? We might as well just throw all the year's vids into a giant pigpile and vote based purely on personal taste. But, since we've gone through all the trouble of sifting through which videos best represent the category, whether or not "Every Opening..." is a better video (as opposed to a better parody) is irrelevant to this competition.


But EOEM was obviously a parody, thus fitting into the category. After meeting the basic criteria, how can I not consider the editing/flow/atmosphere as a feature to critique the work with? The whole point of critiquing AMVs for this contest is to see which one better combines the elements of editing to each specific category. It's like with "Best First". Once you knock out the ones that weren't first AMVs, you've got to go by which one was best edited and had the best flow. Parody is a little different, because you also have to ask "which one was the better parody" DAMN IT. Ok, I'll concede the fact that Bonklers should obviously win this one. As much as I openly hate to admit being wrong, you've got a valid and very well argued point.

Although I totally disagree that editing shouldn't be a considered factor. Once you see which degree of how well a parody is done [let's say that there was another really great parody video that obviously fit into this category, on par with Bonklers], then you should obviously go and see which one was better executed in terms of editing.


I have to disagree that EOEM is a parody - it's a list of tropes. And those are two completely different things.
Image
Image
User avatar
CorpseGoddess
 
Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: HEY GUYS

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Explain to me in detail how EAOEM isn't a parody.

A parody AMV is [ideally] something created as a means to mock/comment/ridicule the oirigin. Anime openings is the original aspect, and it is mocking the overly used scenes that every anime opening seems to use, showing how unoriginal and repetitive that anime seem to use. It's more or less a "GET OFF YOUR UNCREATIVE LAZY ASSES AND TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ONCE" sort of thing. Which, in the original context, is what a parody was intended to do. Mock in order to bring about change in the way people think/behave.

A parody AMV doesn't have to parody another AMV for it to be a parody. :P
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest