The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

This is a forum for discussion of the 2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards.

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 am

Dr. Faux Pas wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:As a mock it's not bad, though it certainly doesn't approach it completely, only from the visual point of view. But that's undertstandable in AMV bsnss ;x

See, that's why I said it's subtle. It's also very culturally-centric, because a lot of non-Americans likely don't know that the Clap is an STD. Without that knowledge, they can't be expected to make the connection between spreading genital warts to so many people and widespread use of the same scenes in so many videos. Unimaginative use of well-known clips is a disease.

Waiting for the meta-parody of someone taking that video and reworking it with the forum avatars of the editors involved in this epidemic.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Nya-chan Production » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:44 am

Dr. Faux Pas wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:As a mock it's not bad, though it certainly doesn't approach it completely, only from the visual point of view. But that's undertstandable in AMV bsnss ;x

See, that's why I said it's subtle. It's also very culturally-centric, because a lot of non-Americans likely don't know that the Clap is an STD. Without that knowledge, they can't be expected to make the connection between spreading genital warts to so many people and widespread use of the same scenes in so many videos. Unimaginative use of well-known clips is a disease.

I was talking about the opening video, not The Clap ;x

But if we're talking clap - I won't vote it because I don't like this kind of humour. Also the typography :<
EDIT: Unless I don't find anything better, ofc.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Kitsuner » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:But if we're talking clap - I won't vote it because my video lost in Pro. Also the itching :<
EDIT: Unless I don't find any butter, ofc.

Image
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
User avatar
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Top Breeder

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby JudgeHolden » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:48 am

So "The Clap" is a parody of "RAH HEY"? :P

PS: According to many people on the org (I do not adhere to this) it doesn't matter how you used them. Using them automatically makes the video an STD. :aimkissyface:
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JudgeHolden
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Location: The great white north (Minneapolis)
Status: Looking at you through your window!

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:14 am

So, anyone want to point out what each finalist is a parody of? I don't think I know enough to vote right now.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 am

That\s the problem Bashar, most of them are not really a parody of anything.
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Nya-chan Production » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:So, anyone want to point out what each finalist is a parody of? I don't think I know enough to vote right now.


All hell Lelouch! - Code Geass and South Park
Every Anime Opening Ever - Every Anime Opening Ever
Project Bonklers - AzuDai and Agressor's vid (forgot the name)
The Darkest of Places - Bakemonogatari
The Friend Request - NGE and Facebook

Seriously, you guys are looking for something deep, it's just this easy.

EDIT: Btw, any AMV is basically a parody of the original anime, woooooo! ;>
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:So, anyone want to point out what each finalist is a parody of? I don't think I know enough to vote right now.


All hell Lelouch! - Code Geass and South Park
Every Anime Opening Ever - Every Anime Opening Ever
Project Bonklers - AzuDai and Agressor's vid (forgot the name)
The Darkest of Places - Bakemonogatari
The Friend Request - NGE and Facebook

Seriously, you guys are looking for something deep, it's just this easy.

EDIT: Btw, any AMV is basically a parody of the original anime, woooooo! ;>



that's not how parody works sanya and you know it (I hope)

All hail Lelouch, is not a parody of southpark, nor is it of code gayass.
A parody must take aspects of its original source and exaggerate them for satiric purposes
As it stands it is just a comedy video using a funny song FROM southpark set to scenes FROM codegayass.
A parody of Lelouch would take one aspect of him, say his eye thingy, and exaggerate it, by focusing on just that or making it have funny results. (btw Cross/fade i only used yours as an example because it was on the top of the list, i still like it)

Every anime opening ever made, and Friend request are parodies.
The first using the common visuals in anime openings, focusing on them, and thus making fun of them.
The second, using anime to satirize facebook by pointing out and exaggerating its flaws.
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby macchinainterna » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:53 am

Listen to him!

For gods' sakes he's a doctor! :shark:
ImageImage
User avatar
macchinainterna
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Location: Colorado, United States
Status: Starting over.

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Nya-chan Production » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:So, anyone want to point out what each finalist is a parody of? I don't think I know enough to vote right now.


All hell Lelouch! - Code Geass and South Park
Every Anime Opening Ever - Every Anime Opening Ever
Project Bonklers - AzuDai and Agressor's vid (forgot the name)
The Darkest of Places - Bakemonogatari
The Friend Request - NGE and Facebook

Seriously, you guys are looking for something deep, it's just this easy.

EDIT: Btw, any AMV is basically a parody of the original anime, woooooo! ;>



that's not how parody works sanya and you know it (I hope)

All hail Lelouch, is not a parody of southpark, nor is it of code gayass.
A parody must take aspects of its original source and exaggerate them for satiric purposes
As it stands it is just a comedy video using a funny song FROM southpark set to scenes FROM codegayass.
A parody of Lelouch would take one aspect of him, say his eye thingy, and exaggerate it, by focusing on just that or making it have funny results. (btw Cross/fade i only used yours as an example because it was on the top of the list, i still like it)

Every anime opening ever made, and Friend request are parodies.
The first using the common visuals in anime openings, focusing on them, and thus making fun of them.
The second, using anime to satirize facebook by pointing out and exaggerating its flaws.


Okay, since you accept two, I'll delve deeper into the other three.

All hell Lelouch - parodies Lelouch's attitude and his similarity to SP Satan - both being the bad guy who just try to be good and want to live "Up There". Makes fun of Lelouch, basically.
Project Bonklers - COMPLETE visual parody, including effects, of Aggressor's De:Light (looked it up for you)
The Darkest of Places is the hardest to see, but it basically makes fun of the relationship between the protagonists by showing it in completely different view - it takes parts of the original (guy looking at the arse of the girl all the time, dialogues, their looks on each other) and exaggerates them and adds some stuff to express it better.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:38 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Okay, since you accept two, I'll delve deeper into the other three.

All hell Lelouch - parodies Lelouch's attitude and his similarity to SP Satan - both being the bad guy who just try to be good and want to live "Up There". Makes fun of Lelouch, basically.

Project Bonklers - COMPLETE visual parody, including effects, of Aggressor's De:Light (looked it up for you) This is fine, I have not seen it so I didn't comment on it.


The Darkest of Places is the hardest to see, but it basically makes fun of the relationship between the protagonists by showing it in completely different view - it takes parts of the original (guy looking at the arse of the girl all the time, dialogues, their looks on each other) and exaggerates them and adds some stuff to express it better.



All hell Lelouch - parodies Lelouch's attitude and his similarity to SP Satan - both being the bad guy who just try to be good and want to live "Up There". Makes fun of Lelouch, basically.
Yes, but it does not take the character of either "Satan" or "Lelouch" and specifically satirize them. This video could have been made with practically any antagonist, so it really doesn't matter that it's "Making fun of lelouch" It is still not a parody of Lelouch.


Project Bonklers - COMPLETE visual parody, including effects, of Aggressor's De:Light (looked it up for you) This is fine, I have not seen it so I didn't comment on it. <--this is fine, I had not seen the original video, so I didn't comment on it. It is indeed a parody then. (as long as by copying the visual style they are making fun of the style,)


The Darkest of Places is the hardest to see, but it basically makes fun of the relationship between the protagonists by showing it in completely different view - it takes parts of the original (guy looking at the arse of the girl all the time, dialogues, their looks on each other) and exaggerates them and adds some stuff to express it better.
This is simply not a parody. It's just not. It's a well made video, funny, and entertaining. But it's not a parody of anything.
It's not copying any specific show or character, It's not exaggerating any particular easily recognizable anything in order to poke fun at it. It is simply a funny song with wacky character expressions.

Look,
Parody and comedy is something I have thought quite alot about both AMV wise and otherwise. It's a bit of a passion of mine.
I am fully able to say that just because a video is funny does not mean it is a parody. A parody needs to be a satire of a specific person, style, or event and not simply a comedy.

Let's look at films.

Spaceballs: Obviously looks like and emulates the costumes of starwars. it is a parody.
The Producers(1968 the good one): A very funny movie, well written, but not a reference to anything and thus NOT A PARODY.
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Nya-chan Production » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:05 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
Okay, since you accept two, I'll delve deeper into the other three.

All hell Lelouch - parodies Lelouch's attitude and his similarity to SP Satan - both being the bad guy who just try to be good and want to live "Up There". Makes fun of Lelouch, basically.

Project Bonklers - COMPLETE visual parody, including effects, of Aggressor's De:Light (looked it up for you) This is fine, I have not seen it so I didn't comment on it.


The Darkest of Places is the hardest to see, but it basically makes fun of the relationship between the protagonists by showing it in completely different view - it takes parts of the original (guy looking at the arse of the girl all the time, dialogues, their looks on each other) and exaggerates them and adds some stuff to express it better.



All hell Lelouch - parodies Lelouch's attitude and his similarity to SP Satan - both being the bad guy who just try to be good and want to live "Up There". Makes fun of Lelouch, basically.
Yes, but it does not take the character of either "Satan" or "Lelouch" and specifically satirize them. This video could have been made with practically any antagonist, so it really doesn't matter that it's "Making fun of lelouch" It is still not a parody of Lelouch.


Project Bonklers - COMPLETE visual parody, including effects, of Aggressor's De:Light (looked it up for you) This is fine, I have not seen it so I didn't comment on it. <--this is fine, I had not seen the original video, so I didn't comment on it. It is indeed a parody then. (as long as by copying the visual style they are making fun of the style,)


The Darkest of Places is the hardest to see, but it basically makes fun of the relationship between the protagonists by showing it in completely different view - it takes parts of the original (guy looking at the arse of the girl all the time, dialogues, their looks on each other) and exaggerates them and adds some stuff to express it better.
This is simply not a parody. It's just not. It's a well made video, funny, and entertaining. But it's not a parody of anything.
It's not copying any specific show or character, It's not exaggerating any particular easily recognizable anything in order to poke fun at it. It is simply a funny song with wacky character expressions.

Look,
Parody and comedy is something I have thought quite alot about both AMV wise and otherwise. It's a bit of a passion of mine.
I am fully able to say that just because a video is funny does not mean it is a parody. A parody needs to be a satire of a specific person, style, or event and not simply a comedy.

Let's look at films.

Spaceballs: Obviously looks like and emulates the costumes of starwars. it is a parody.
The Producers(1968 the good one): A very funny movie, well written, but not a reference to anything and thus NOT A PARODY.

Okay, I will agree with The Darkest of Places not being a parody, though I have a hard time with Lelouch, mainly because I think the video wouldn't work with other antagonist that well, since Lelouch is NOT an antagonist, as well as Satan is not an antagonist (Lelouch is protagonist, and antagonist in SP is Saddam Hussein). In my view it specifically parodies Lelouch by comparing his personal traits and split personality (or rather personality conflicts) to the very similar Satan ones. But I won't blame you if you think differently - we both see it differently, I suppose ^^
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby Ikore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

so vote for blonkers :uhoh:
SING! Never mind the words!!!
User avatar
Ikore
 
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Location: Costa Rica.
Status: Alive

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 am

Dr.Dinosaur wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:So, anyone want to point out what each finalist is a parody of? I don't think I know enough to vote right now.


All hell Lelouch! - Code Geass and South Park
Every Anime Opening Ever - Every Anime Opening Ever
Project Bonklers - AzuDai and Agressor's vid (forgot the name)
The Darkest of Places - Bakemonogatari
The Friend Request - NGE and Facebook

Seriously, you guys are looking for something deep, it's just this easy.

EDIT: Btw, any AMV is basically a parody of the original anime, woooooo! ;>



that's not how parody works sanya and you know it (I hope)

All hail Lelouch, is not a parody of southpark, nor is it of code gayass.
A parody must take aspects of its original source and exaggerate them for satiric purposes
As it stands it is just a comedy video using a funny song FROM southpark set to scenes FROM codegayass.
A parody of Lelouch would take one aspect of him, say his eye thingy, and exaggerate it, by focusing on just that or making it have funny results. (btw Cross/fade i only used yours as an example because it was on the top of the list, i still like it)

Every anime opening ever made, and Friend request are parodies.
The first using the common visuals in anime openings, focusing on them, and thus making fun of them.
The second, using anime to satirize facebook by pointing out and exaggerating its flaws.

That's enough info for me to vote - thanks. :up:
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: The Shinji Red Suit Dress-Up Award (Best Parody Video)

Postby kireblue » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm

I completely agree with Nya about "All Hell Lelouch". And I feel that only people that haven't seen Code Geass would disagree. Even the title is a mixed parody of Code Geass and South Park.

In terms of "The Darkest of Places"......its not really a parody....but its close enough.

Anyway, I'm voting for "All Hell Lelouch".
Image
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
User avatar
kireblue
 
Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests