Development VM available

Development VM available

Postby trythil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

Hi,

For those who'd like to run the new .org codebase, I've set up a virtual machine for doing just that. You can get it here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/amvorg-catalog-builddep/a-m-v.org+development+environment.ova (1.9 GB)

VirtualBox 4.2.x is recommended. If you get it working with other VM hosts, please post here about your success. The VM runs Xubuntu 12.10.

The default username/password on the VM is developer / developer.

Once up and running, you'll want to run a few extra commands to get your environment properly configured.

First, install the VirtualBox Guest Additions by clicking Machine > Install Guest Additions. You'll see a CD icon on the desktop appear. Next, open a terminal and run

Code: Select all
cd /media/developer
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

Then reboot. If VirtualBox Guest Additions was successfully installed, you should be able to control the VM's desktop resolution by resizing the window.

Once back up and running, open a terminal and run

git config --global user.name 'Your Name'
git config --global user.email 'your-email@example.org'
git config --global color.ui true

Finally, bring the codebase up to date. Open a terminal and run

cd ~/catalog
git fetch
git merge origin/master

To run the application, open a terminal and run

cd ~/catalog
git fetch
git merge origin/master
rails s

To run the tests, open a terminal and run

cd ~/catalog
RAILS_ENV=test rake

Some VM notes:

• The VM is configured with miredo, which is an implementation of the Teredo IPv6 tunneling protocol. I installed this with the intention of permitting developers to test site-to-site replication. It works for me, but I've noticed that sometimes the Miredo tunnel doesn't start.
  • The VM ships with IPv4 and IPv6 firewall rules that block most incoming connections. If you know iptables and ip6tables syntax, you can adjust them -- for example, if you want to access the application from a browser on the host machine. If you wish to save your updated rules, run iptables-save > /etc/iptables.rules and ip6tables-save > /etc/ip6tables.rules.
  • You may want to use an editor on the host machine to do your work in. VirtualBox permits sharing folders from the guest to the host. I haven't personally done this; see the VirtualBox manual for details.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 512 character limit.
trythil
is

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Re: Development VM available

Postby trythil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 am

The commands given above to run the application are incorrect. You do not need to update your source tree; just

cd ~/catalog
rails s

is sufficient.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 512 character limit.
trythil
is

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Return to Org Redesign