Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:39 am

Well, I think it definitely looks like an improvement on what we have now. I like how its starting to shape up.
One thing I would have to say is that I don't like some critical features like "new video" being stuck at the bottom of the page. If its planned for this stuff to be discoverable in some other way, I think that's perfectly fine, but if it were to only be available down there, then I imagine that most new users would never find anything.
User avatar
Zarxrax
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2001
Location: Concord, NC

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby ngsilver » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 am

I know I brought the issue up originally in the IRC channel but figured I'd create an issue for it now that I've gotten around to doing so.

Basically, setting up an API to allow contest databases to link into the orgs database. Allowing entrants to be able to auto-populate their video info from the org listings. This would also allow the entry to be linked to the org entry, and perhaps could allow for some cross talk between the two systems, depending on how it is defined. Anyone want to add in on features or what not, please do.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
 
Joined: 28 Jun 2003
Location: Detroit area
Status: Calm Your Miniature Colorful Horses

Re: For those who are hard of imagination

Postby I Fight For The Users » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 am

xnamkcor wrote:Are we doing design or functionality? You want us to draw some functionality and scan them into photoshop?


You assume a dichotomy that doesn't exist.
I Fight For The Users
 
Joined: 24 Jan 2012

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby irriadin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:58 am

xnamkcor wrote:Could we add a dropdown box to the searchbar so we could search my a specific attribute straight from the main page?


An AJAX autocomplete for the search would be nice. As far as different attributes... a popular CMS for torrent tracker communities (Gazelle) typically has six search boxes each with a different parameter, but I'm "so-so" on that design choice so far as effective layout is concerned.

I don't have much to add to thoughts about the current functional design that hasn't been said already. I'm very much in favor of reducing clutter and keeping the amount of pages to a minimum, so I think this is a good start.
User avatar
irriadin
BUBBLES!
 
Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Location: PA
Status: I fight for my friends

Re: For those who are hard of imagination

Postby xnamkcor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I Fight For The Users wrote:
xnamkcor wrote:Are we doing design or functionality? You want us to draw some functionality and scan them into photoshop?


You assume a dichotomy that doesn't exist.

If there is no dichotomy, then we can just suggest anything?
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!
User avatar
xnamkcor
 
Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby kiarrens » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 pm

irriadin wrote: As far as different attributes... a popular CMS for torrent tracker communities (Gazelle) typically has six search boxes each with a different parameter, but I'm "so-so" on that design choice so far as effective layout is concerned.

Hm... what about small radio buttons under the search box, like TPB does? Search by: Video Title, Anime Title, Audio Artist, Editor Name? Still simple, but allows for a little more flexibility.
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator
User avatar
kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2001
Location: The United States of Whatever

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby irriadin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 pm

kiarrens wrote:
irriadin wrote: As far as different attributes... a popular CMS for torrent tracker communities (Gazelle) typically has six search boxes each with a different parameter, but I'm "so-so" on that design choice so far as effective layout is concerned.

Hm... what about small radio buttons under the search box, like TPB does? Search by: Video Title, Anime Title, Audio Artist, Editor Name? Still simple, but allows for a little more flexibility.


That could work, but I feel like that's not a perfect solution either. The best thing might be to keep it as-is with an all-inclusive search (for editors, anime, song, etc) and then break-down the search results based on what returns a hit. That would provide the best user experience, I think.
User avatar
irriadin
BUBBLES!
 
Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Location: PA
Status: I fight for my friends

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby xnamkcor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 pm

irriadin wrote:
kiarrens wrote:
irriadin wrote: As far as different attributes... a popular CMS for torrent tracker communities (Gazelle) typically has six search boxes each with a different parameter, but I'm "so-so" on that design choice so far as effective layout is concerned.

Hm... what about small radio buttons under the search box, like TPB does? Search by: Video Title, Anime Title, Audio Artist, Editor Name? Still simple, but allows for a little more flexibility.


That could work, but I feel like that's not a perfect solution either. The best thing might be to keep it as-is with an all-inclusive search (for editors, anime, song, etc) and then break-down the search results based on what returns a hit. That would provide the best user experience, I think.


Or make that the default radial and have more specific options available.
WE DRAMATIZE IT COMPLETELY!
User avatar
xnamkcor
 
Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby Deuce Loosely » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 am

I don't really care for it.
Looks and feels too "corporate" and sterile.
Been here for several years and haven't seen much need for changing the site.
AMV Showdown Coordinator
Katsucon (2012-2014) - Zenkaikon (2013-present) - Anime Mid Atlantic (2011-2013) - Nekocon (2013)
AMV Asst DH
Tekko (2014)
AMV Programming
Ichibancon (2014)
User avatar
Deuce Loosely
 
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Status: Herding wild marshmallows

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby Kevmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:24 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:I strongly dislike it
Looks and feels too "corporate" and sterile.
Been here for several years and haven't seen much need for changing the site.


Fixed and x2.

I always thought the current website design was great and easy to navigate.
If there's anything that could need a change it would be the uploading-system which is probably very confusing to new members.
Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
 
Joined: 28 May 2006

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby 8bit_samurai » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:28 am

Eh, the Org is one of the first online communities I partook in, and I kinda realized this was coming. I did cringe a little when I seen it was getting a complete overhaul, probably thanks to the rose tinted nostalgia glasses from when I first joined, however, I got over it since this is something that is needed (actually reading some the threads and links did help too). So, I'm fine with whatever changes as long as I can still upload and download me some AMVs.
Under Construction
User avatar
8bit_samurai
Hmm...
 
Joined: 17 May 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby Nya-chan Production » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:00 am

I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but the search box touches the top of the window right now, could it be lowered a bit? I know it's a design feature, but it's fairly tough to work with it right now (I always click into the address bar. Or on my Rikaichan extension when clicking login >.>). W7, Chrome 21.0.1180.79 m - if you need that.

The "invisible" text fields with placeholders could use some "activity" highlight. The placeholder functionality (disappears only after first letter typed in, which is still new for many users who meet HTML5 for the first time) and the fact that nothing but a blinking cursor appears in the field could mislead many users into believing it's broken and they can't write there at all.

I suppose this is planned feature - check the data submitted in the New Video entry.

Also... a.tagit-close {cursor: pointer;} (or something like that), pretty please? ^^

Will look at it some more later on~
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: Member Feedback on the Org Redesign

Postby Melanchthon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Logged out to see how the main page looks to a complete stranger...

I think the empty space on the left-hand side could do with more video previews. How difficult would it be to keep a pool of videos from the last couple of years and have some of them come up in a column? I'm thinking of something like the 'related videos' option you get after watching a Youtube video, but you'd be able to flip between selections at will.

They'd be pretty small, but I'd assume by now that people would be used to looking at tiny thumbnails.
User avatar
Melanchthon
 
Joined: 02 Sep 2004

Previous

Return to Org Redesign

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest